Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:20 AM

508 posts, read 1,511,849 times

Advertisements

I returned to Lexington to help some people look at houses. We drove around all day and I came to a conclusion:

Lexington sold out in a big way to Ball Homes.

The new housing developments look like complete garbage. Huge sprawls of the houses with a variation of what seemed to be 4-5 models. There also seemed to be little done to break up the pattern - no parks, etc. - just house after house on tiny tracts of land.

A shame if you ask me. I can't believe these places are so popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,238 times
There are other developments besides Ball Homes in Lexington. Take a look at Patchen Wilkes, Still Meadow and Ellerslie at DeLong neighborhoods. Jimmy Nash Homes - Lexington, Central Kentucky Home Builder - Proven Best Value In Town . One of my favorite home builders in Lexington.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 AM

My point is you can't reverse what was built and a lot of Lexington's development makes the area look ugly and cookie cutter.

Nash does build nice homes but that's aside from the fact.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,732,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
I returned to Lexington to help some people look at houses. We drove around all day and I came to a conclusion:

The new housing developments look like complete garbage. Huge sprawls of the houses with a variation of what seemed to be 4-5 models. There also seemed to be little done to break up the pattern - no parks, etc. - just house after house on tiny tracts of land.

Agreed. Lots of sprawly garbage going up, and Ball Homes is the epitome. You should see the crap they spew in Ohio. These type of companies build such cheap stuff they will effectively be creating new suburban ghettos when their developments age in 30 years.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Agreed. Lots of sprawly garbage going up, and Ball Homes is the epitome. You should see the crap they spew in Ohio. These type of companies build such cheap stuff they will effectively be creating new suburban ghettos when their developments age in 30 years.
This is what I've been saying for years; and time is proving me right, I'm sorry to say.

I guess no one can blame Ball Homes for building what the market seems to be eager to purchase.... it's a terrible shame though.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:10 AM

It will be interesting to see what the Masterson Station area will be in 20 years. I noticed, despite the recent housing downturn, some tracts of land were still being developed so the area is still in expansion mode.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 PM

891 posts, read 3,051,916 times
The sea of tan siding subdivisions are so generic. I find them very unattractive.
If they could at least incorporate some brick they might not look quite as ugly.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:47 PM

969 posts, read 2,818,574 times
I know people won't agree, but trees make the difference. Look at old pictures of Chevy Chase, Kenwick, Meadowthorpe, etc. When they were new neighborhoods they looked like row after row of bungalows and cape cods. Even as little as 15 years ago Hartland, Palomar and Andover Forest looked bleak. Not trying to defend Ball, or take sides, but just wanted to point that out!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Hm, yes, trees do help. Very much! You are absolutely right.

I still don't much care for Hartland, Palomar, or Andover Forest, but that's OK too. And they did seem better after their trees matured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area