Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:48 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times

Advertisements

I'll take you up on that sweet tea How about a Kentucky cigar, too?

FWIW I have both very nice & very down to Earth cars/clothes. I alternate between the two realms. But the contention is not with the "material"... it is more with the social aspects. Heaven forbid a good looking woman make eye contact or speak to anyone! I am starting to think I have the plague. (there is your concrete example) I have met friendlier people in downtown Los Angeles.

Just to reiterate that I am not resentful of success, as I stated earlier, I have a friend with more money than God who does not walk with his nose in the air... and is not afraid to make genuine small talk. He does not judge people by whether they live in Glendover OMG GLENDOVER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
And how can you call a city snooty when you claim they are all a bunch of people from nowhere?
Another member said it best... "ego-filled small town beauty queens". The people here feel a superior sense of self because they know they are a big fish in a small bowl. Similar to the bullies/divas in high school. Better Than Thou egos like this would get a bruisin' in a big town! I realize that you may find this observation contradictory, but I am not the one who started this discussion & would not bring it to the surface if it was not such a burden. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 PM

145 posts, read 518,427 times
As far as it goes with a good looking girl making eye contact or speaking to anyone I have heard that claim and it is a stereotype of not just here buy everywhere. It goes along with your high school example. Just because she is good looking doesn't mean she is a diva or a snob. There are plenty of beautiful women in this city that are as down to earth as anyone. Now are there some uppity girls..sure but I bet you can find that in any high school or city. I am not about to speak on how to pick up girls in lexington others can chime in on that but I do think that you are casting a very broad brush. I have said it before if this place was so bad and snooty I doubt so many people would stay here after they go to UK. It can't be all bad if lowly college students really like it.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:09 PM

83 posts, read 219,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1 View Post
I have said it before if this place was so bad and snooty I doubt so many people would stay here after they go to UK. It can't be all bad if lowly college students really like it.
Which college students are you referring to? I go to UK and most of my classmates are not exactly dying to stay here after graduation. There isn't a damn thing to do besides watching horses and UK basketball, and one's aspirations upon hitting 35 always seem to shift toward acquiring a big suburban home (McMansion for some) in SW Lexington/N. Jessamine Co. where the rest of the white-collar crowd hangs out. This is perhaps comparable to many other cities (or parts of cities) in the U.S. so maybe it isn't the MOST pretentious of places, but it sure feels empty. I'm not sure anybody has anything to do but sit in their houses from November to the end of March and that CAN'T be healthy (mentally or physically). And for the record, Keeneland is THE most pretentious thing I could ever imagine. It's a place where many young people go to "be seen" and pretend they are high-rollers (sunglasses, button-ups and khakis for most), and drink. Somehow, horses have become a symbol of wealth here. Someone wanting to be ostentatious will have a huge horse farm complete with immaculate white fences and several gigantic white barns that look more like palaces for royalty. Anyway, I bet if I asked anybody over 30 what anchors them here, most would either say their job (likely at UK), or their family. The few who remain for other reasons probably truly do love horses and I have nothing against that. The question is, are MOST medium-sized midwestern cities also like this, minus the horses and UK sports obsession?

Last edited by scottrc5391; 03-29-2009 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: error

Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 AM

18 posts, read 68,611 times
I can't argue with that...my wife and I cannot wait to move because of the unbelievable snobbery here.

I have thought about why this place is so snooty and may have an answer. Most people don't think very highly of KY, but there are a lot of students who come from other parts of the country to attend UK. I also believe that there are quite a few graduates who for some reason decide to stay. The college graduate rate in KY alone is something like 30% so these people who graduate truly believe they are above the rest of the KY 'rednecks' Also, Lexington and Louisville receive the majority of the state funding because of their universities, while areas like Hazard are absolutely dirt poor. This provides for the snooty attitude that so many residents refer to when discussing Lexington. Also, the fact that KY is traditionally a fairly poor region and the select few in Lexington/Louisville have multi-million dollars horse farms, doesn't help. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by stiehler; 02-13-2010 at 10:28 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 AM

18 posts, read 68,611 times
sandman1

I am not sure what is causing your delusional view of Lexington, but it is undoubtedly a very snooty city

Old 02-13-2010, 04:50 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
I'm glad this thread was brought back up.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:56 PM

29 posts, read 142,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Lexington is also probably of the 10 snootiest cities in the world.
I'm kinda surprised by how many people have mentioned this on this forum. I'm from a small, friendly town in Kansas and have lived in several places around the US. My experience was that Lexington was full of friendly, kind people who made me feel welcome and accepted everywhere I went....maybe I was just lucky...or incredibly naive...

Old 02-21-2010, 07:37 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solardream View Post
I'm kinda surprised by how many people have mentioned this on this forum. I'm from a small, friendly town in Kansas and have lived in several places around the US. My experience was that Lexington was full of friendly, kind people who made me feel welcome and accepted everywhere I went....maybe I was just lucky...or incredibly naive...
I'm glad that you had a good experience here.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times
I have mixed feelings about Lexington, it leaves a lot to be desired, but not enough to hate on it. Most of the people are cool, you just have to be above the "I'm a socially awkward 20 something" or the "I'm over the age of 30 therefore everyone should worship me" thing and you'll find many great people. However, it is a bit boring... Then again, any city this size that isn't a suburb of a larger city will follow suite.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:12 PM

482 posts, read 844,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I have mixed feelings about Lexington, it leaves a lot to be desired, but not enough to hate on it. Most of the people are cool, you just have to be above the "I'm a socially awkward 20 something" or the "I'm over the age of 30 therefore everyone should worship me" thing and you'll find many great people. However, it is a bit boring... Then again, any city this size that isn't a suburb of a larger city will follow suite.
For me it doesn't take long to exhaust all the things to do here. Looking to re-locate next year. Most of them were in Cincinnati or sometimes Lousiville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area