U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 PM

19 posts, read 37,135 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I've spent a lot of time searching previous posts. This is my first time posting on this forum because almost all my questions were answered in various threads. Gleaning from those, I've honed in on Southland area as a probably match for our family. It appears to be walkable, established, safe and reasonably priced. I will be visiting Lexington in a few weeks to look at houses. I see several of interest and would greatly appreciate your thoughts and insights on these locations:

465 Stratford, 40503
204 David, 40503
746 Seattle, 40503

Many of the homes in the area are smaller than we would choose, being a family of seven. But these three look spacious enough and are near parks and shopping. I am particularly interested in hearing what Hill N Dale, Zandale and Southalnd Parks are like. Our children range in age from 8--16. Would one of these areas likely have more families/children? What about safety for biking on the nearby streets? Any other pros or cans from a local perspective?

With many, many thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 AM

1,714 posts, read 5,716,469 times
The Stratford location sounds good. You can walk to everything!!!!! Grocery, every kind of business, free bluegrass music on Tuesday nights, the Farmer's Market on Sundays, etc. Hill N Dale Park is a nice pocket park with a tree-shaded creek and very decent playground equipment. There is a park shelter and a paved basketball court.

Your closest park with a swimming pool will be Southland, which is MUCH larger, has baseball, a swim team, plenty of playground equipment, grounds for walking, and a park shelter with bathrooms.

I am less-well acquainted with your other two locations, but know for a fact that the Stratford address is a family-friendly block of a family-friendly neighborhood. And so walkable/bikeable!!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:57 AM

Default Thanks!

Timelesschild,
I had hoped you would answer. From reading many of your posts, I knew you would "get" the kind of neighborhood we are after. In fact, you were the main one who sold me on Southland in the first place. I appreciate the thoughts you've given me here.

Warmly~
SAKaren

Old 02-23-2009, 06:52 AM

969 posts, read 2,611,809 times
The David house seems to be pretty over priced to me. I haven't seen it, but I think that seems steep for the square footage and the condition. I couldn't find the Seattle one on LBAR. Is it For Sale By Owner? I would rather be in Southland than on Seattle. That is a nice area and all, but I have a hard time getting out of that neighborhood with Clays Mill and Pasadena being so busy most of the day.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:45 PM

11,109 posts, read 23,014,574 times
Seattle Dr is quite a bit newer area than the Stratford area. I used to live in one of those 1950s two story houses in that area and they are a bit odd in their layout by today's standards, although they are extremely well built. The David Rd area is an alright area although it is near a ton of apartments and is just off Nicholasville Rd, which has lots of traffic/ ambulance noise issues

Old 02-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Default Good info!

OK, good information. That is the kind of feedback I need. I can look myself and knows which houses appeal, but won't know about traffic patterns, etc. Yes, the house on Seattle is FSBO. I found it listed on Zillow.

Thanks, LEXpert!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Default Hmm...

I had thought about Nicholasville being convenient for shopping, but hadn't considered the traffic and noise angle. Thanks for pointing that out. You guys are all so helpful. Also, if there is anywhere else I should be looking, or other specific addresses I should notice, please point that out to me as well.

The only potential issue I can see with the Stratford house is space. Really there is no way to tell till I see it in person.

Gratefully!
SAKaren

Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 PM

11,109 posts, read 23,014,574 times
Let me put it like this: the house I lived in off Lynn Drive was 2 blocks off Harrodsburg Rd and yet siren noise was very noticeable. Lexington is a major medical hub that receives ER patients all the way from Pikeville, Somerset, etc and there are no freeways to take downtown so all those ambulances take Nicholasville Rd, Harrodsburg Rd etc

Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM

Default Sirens

This is just the kind of thing that you locals know and I would never have guessed! Your thoughts are much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area