Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:53 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
The "poster" is always comparing Lexington to Chicago, search through his previous posts.....he's very negative. blah

I was responding to an assertion that with an aquarium or museum Lexington's downtown would be "first class". Which is way off base whether you want to admit it or not.

Now if you've an argument against my views that goes beyond mere contradiction I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 01:34 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Discussion is how positive change comes about

Old 03-27-2009, 07:32 AM

76 posts, read 138,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
First class? You're kidding right?

Downtown Lexington has mediocre restaurants and not many of them. No bookstores or groceries, little interesting shopping, little street life, mundane architecture and a bunch of empty offices and condos. It's depressing. The bright spots are the cigar shop on Main and Giacomo's and Giacomo's is OK at best by Chicago (first class) standards.

I imagaine that block they tore down will sit there like that for years. The only thing that could be worse would be if they actually built the monstrosity planned for the site, then Lexington will have more empty condos.

We considered downtown Lexington but a little research and thought cured us of the notion. Lexington has it's virtues but it's downtown isn't one of them.
I've lived in downtown Lexington for the past year and have found it to be an agreeable and pleasant place. I actually think that it is one of Lexington's virtues, especially when contrasted with the soul-less sprawl that surrounds the city. That said, I've got to agree with much of your assessment (especially about Lexington's restaurants, which almost always disappoint). While it has, in my view, the potential to be a great small city, as it stands now it is far from reaching that potential. It strikes me as a city that is just sitting passively waiting for something good to happen to it, and it's not happening. And the changes that it does contemplate seem piecemeal and meager-- the bar seems set way too low. Example-- there is a story in today's paper describing the Downtown Dev. Groups's excitement at getting a new CVS at the intersection of Main, Midland and Vine. A CVS. Is there anything uglier or more ordinary? That just seems pathetic.

Last week I visited Greenville SC, another small southern city. What Greenville has done to it's downtown is truly a marvel. They've made it into a true community gathering center with first class restaurants, entertainment, green spaces, parks, outdoor music, etc. It was literally jammed with people all weekend. The structure is there for that kind of change in downtown Lexington, but apparently not the vision or the will.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:24 PM

822 posts, read 3,001,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
What makes Lexington 'traffic' so unbearable to me is how long the red lights hold even if there is NO traffic. Most places will have a 30 second green light for a main road with a 10 second red light to allow the couple of cars on a side road to safely turn onto or cross the main road. In Lexington the main roads have HUGE green light cycles (2 minutes+) that causes traffic to really pile up on the side roads. I have timed the red lights at Man O War for Clays Mill & Grassy Creek Dr a 2 minutes 30 seconds even if there is no traffic on MOW.

BTW, I created a facebook group for Central KY residents to express their feelings about Lexington's roads. Just get on fb and search for "Whoever designed Lexington's roads is a freaking idiot!!"
Wow, I'll definitely join your facebook group. I agree about the lights, but I also have found Lexington drivers (generally speaking) to be extremely discourteous and this is after living in LA, Boston, DC, etc. There's just not a sense of citizenship on the roads - more of a "each person for himself I don't know you so I can do whatever suits me".

Old 04-01-2009, 02:01 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Hello?? Lexington is not a large city. You cannot expect to have what you had in Chicago in Lexington, simply because it's not nearly as large as Chicago.... Lexington is a much better city than Chicago however.
LOL, "better" how exactly? Chicago is a 1st tier city. Lex is something like a 3rd or 4th tier. I mean, what is it exactly but a bunch of generic suburbs with no downtown to really speak of?? It's a glorified stripmall with a terrible road system.

BTW, size has nothing to do with it. There are some huge sprawling cities out there that are crapholes.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:22 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
I had to look back at the original thread post. Just as I remembered it was a nice comment about life in Lexington. Once again highjacked by whiners and complainers. Aargh! Enough already. If you find it so dreadful here please find a city you love so that those of us that love with Lexington can live peacefully and without your negativity.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I had to look back at the original thread post. Just as I remembered it was a nice comment about life in Lexington. Once again highjacked by whiners and complainers. Aargh! Enough already. If you find it so dreadful here please find a city you love so that those of us that love with Lexington can live peacefully and without your negativity.
It's okay. They are just giving balance to a very one-sided forum. I know I have both good & bad to say about the city!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:34 PM

102 posts, read 295,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
Wow, I'll definitely join your facebook group. I agree about the lights, but I also have found Lexington drivers (generally speaking) to be extremely discourteous and this is after living in LA, Boston, DC, etc. There's just not a sense of citizenship on the roads - more of a "each person for himself I don't know you so I can do whatever suits me".
What's wrong with that?

Each car for himself is a perfectly sensible way to drive. Just because some bozo has their turn signal on doesn't mean I have to let them in.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:40 PM

508 posts, read 1,511,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
LOL, "better" how exactly? Chicago is a 1st tier city. Lex is something like a 3rd or 4th tier. I mean, what is it exactly but a bunch of generic suburbs with no downtown to really speak of?? It's a glorified stripmall with a terrible road system.

BTW, size has nothing to do with it. There are some huge sprawling cities out there that are crapholes.
Kinda true in some respects. Hamburg (huge mistake) probably killed the motivation to do something about the downtown area. For some reason, I doubt people would go downtown even if it had some nice/unique places to socialize.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:45 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
I'm going way off the topic here but because it's spring does anyone know a place where you can buy sod? I went to several places recently none of which had sod, I found a place on Palumbo but they were RUDE and I guess don't sell to anyone who isnt a contractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area