Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:00 PM

22 posts, read 56,919 times

Advertisements

A recent post (5 things lex needs) made me think...

What is there, really, to do in Lexington. A Google search brings up nothing --- okay, okay, there is the Horse Park, but that's all I can find. LOL. Fayette Mall does not count. Nor do restaurants. We are not into the bar scene (especially because I'm pregnant, but we normally aren't anyhow.)

I know I couldn't normally ride anything at theme parks even if we had one here... but it would be nice if we did for when I'm not anymore --- and nice for the baby... (but I know we don't).

So yeah. What is there to do here?

Last edited by MrsMcCoy28; 05-26-2009 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: add something to do (Horse Park)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 07:18 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Lex has a great children's science museum for a city of 300,000

Explorium.com - Explorium of Lexington - Lexington, Kentucky

UK has a nice art museum

University of Kentucky Art Museum

Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
You're coming into the summer season, when there are lots of arts fairs and such. Check the LFUCG website for events in Woodland Park - they are always well-done and well-attended.

If you like hiking, there is plenty of that. The UK Arboretum has a lovely rose (and other flower) garden, as well as a nice little woodland area.

The Gallery Hop is one Friday every second month, approximately, and you might enjoy that. Look on the LexArts website for dates.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM

Very cool. I did not know about the Explorium! That is great! (Our baby isn't here yet, but I'm sure it will be great to go to when he or she is here --- well after he or she is cognizant). And also very cool for our nieces and nephews to visit!

We unfortunately are not fine art people. I'm afraid it would drive DH bonky! But thanks for the recommendation.

The hiking sounds nice. We have several walking trails on the property we are renting, but I always like more "established" trails. The arboretum sounds fun to do sometime.

Thank you for the calendar website. I hope we can find some stuff to do this summer. We are going to do the horse park one day, and of course I have plenty of stuff planned to do in Louisville... but nice to have stuff to do within a half hour of home too!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 PM

Okay I checked out some stuff about Woodland Park. My brother is going to LOVE that! (He's coming to live with us while he goes to college...) He loves skating. And I love that there's a pool there. The arts festival sounds super fun. I love homemade crafts, so that is really neat! (I make quilts and those places usually give me ideas!)

Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 AM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
"Wut moar U need then UK BASKETBALL!?"

Ugh...

Old 05-27-2009, 01:05 PM

Sorry. I'm not a basketball fan... I like WVU anyhow.... (Hides behind computer monitor)

Old 05-27-2009, 01:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Yeah, there will be plenty of UK sports ... enthusiasm ... on the part of 90% of the people you meet. *yawn* You don't have to partake, though. I never did.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:33 AM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcCoy28 View Post
Sorry. I'm not a basketball fan...
Neither am I It is nice to meet someone who is not a UK basketball zombie

What I do in Lex? Goodwill hunting, cigars, church activities, and that is about it. When I want something real to do, I drive up to Cinci.

Bars are not my thing at all.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Yeah, there are a couple of good cigar shops in town, a liked the shop downtown across the street from the library; Fayette County Smoke Shop I think it's called, he has a good magazine selection too. After exhausting Lexington's potential I spent most of my time pulling crabgrass, watering the lawn and sitting on the front porch smoking cigars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area