Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:00 AM

25 posts, read 78,542 times

Advertisements

Three children, fifteen years, and thousands of dollars. I cannot understand how a school can change overnight. Without boring any one with details, I am looking for info on the public schools (middle and high) and other private schools in Lexington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 08:52 AM

216 posts, read 1,185,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCA2013 View Post
Three children, fifteen years, and thousands of dollars. I cannot understand how a school can change overnight. Without boring any one with details, I am looking for info on the public schools (middle and high) and other private schools in Lexington?
We live in the Morton Middle School and Lafayette High School district. Love it and wouldn't change a thing. Especially Lafaytte High School. A good diverse mix of kids and an overall pretty mellow campus.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 AM

25 posts, read 78,542 times
Default Tell me more

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia007 View Post
We live in the Morton Middle School and Lafayette High School district. Love it and wouldn't change a thing. Especially Lafaytte High School. A good diverse mix of kids and an overall pretty mellow campus.
Where do they rank on testing? Who should I talk to at the schools or do I just go to the Board of Education? Math is one child's favorite subject and Science is the other's. They both want to be Doctors, so it is really a major deal. The oldest just has one more year and the other one has a few to go. I went to the School(s) site(s), but I am not sure I understand the rankings of the individual schools.

I will move to get them to the school they need to be in and luckily I have a couple of months to accomplish this.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:58 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
I would meet with the principal's of each of the school's you're interested in. Then I would contact the parent members of the SBDM (site based decision making council). Personally I would only consider Dunbar and Henry Clay.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:41 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Both Dunbar and Lafayette have excellent math/science programs.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:02 AM

486 posts, read 1,896,569 times
Henry Clay has the Academy which simply put is an accelerated liberal arts curriculum. Dunbar has its Math/Science program while Lafayette has its Pre-engineering program. All three are great high schools, it just depends on what you're looking for. Size-wise, Dunbar is the largest, followed by Henry Clay, then Lafayette. I just graduated from Sayre on Saturday and while tuition is pretty steep now, the student:faculty ratio is 12:1 and the public schools can't beat that. The technology department at Sayre has managed to incorporate tools that you won't see in a public school setting either. I'm not taking a swing at the public schools as I think PLD, HC, and Laf. are all great schools in their own right.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:56 PM

969 posts, read 2,818,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I would meet with the principal's of each of the school's you're interested in. Then I would contact the parent members of the SBDM (site based decision making council). Personally I would only consider Dunbar and Henry Clay.

Good advice!

Old 06-01-2009, 05:14 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCA2013 View Post
Where do they rank on testing? Who should I talk to at the schools or do I just go to the Board of Education? Math is one child's favorite subject and Science is the other's. They both want to be Doctors, so it is really a major deal. The oldest just has one more year and the other one has a few to go. I went to the School(s) site(s), but I am not sure I understand the rankings of the individual schools.

I will move to get them to the school they need to be in and luckily I have a couple of months to accomplish this.
It's important to consider test scores, but it's also important to really think about what you want from your child's total educational experience. Scores, good or bad, tell only part of the picture. Walk the halls, talk to the principal,or to a teacher, or to a counselor. Look at what the kids are wearing, what they drive, and their faces. Can you see your child there? If you are lucky enough to be able to make that choice for your child, you can do some really good research.

If your child is a great student, they will be a great student anywhere. What other factors might you want to consider? Access to great sports facilities, access to many people of the same socio-economic level, access to people of various socio-economic levels, access to people mainly of the same culture and race, or access to people of many different cultures and races. These are only a few pieces of the fabric of a school culture

Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Dunbar is by far the best high school in Lex - best academics, a campus that is better than many private colleges, and in the best part of town. Lafayette's building is a complete dump, I'm surprised no one's died from a chunk of asbestos hitting them in the head. They supposedly remodeled it when I was there (1999-2000) but the campus still stunk.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:22 PM

969 posts, read 2,818,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia007 View Post
it's important to consider test scores, but it's also important to really think about what you want from your child's total educational experience. Scores, good or bad, tell only part of the picture. Walk the halls, talk to the principal,or to a teacher, or to a counselor. Look at what the kids are wearing, what they drive, and their faces. Can you see your child there? If you are lucky enough to be able to make that choice for your child, you can do some really good research.

If your child is a great student, they will be a great student anywhere. What other factors might you want to consider? Access to great sports facilities, access to many people of the same socio-economic level, access to people of various socio-economic levels, access to people mainly of the same culture and race, or access to people of many different cultures and races. These are only a few pieces of the fabric of a school culture
this has got to be one of the best posts on schools.......amen!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area