U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 AM

17 posts, read 54,229 times

Advertisements

As my move approaches I have been reading more. There are quite a bit of people making me nervous about my move. I tend to read a lot about the traffic problem (have to say I was there a few weeks ago and agree that for a city of it's size it was horrible and I'm from a big city).
Also, a lot of comments of lack of things to do and I feel like a lot of redirection to Louisville.
I will take the cold winters over the heat/humidity any day. Are the summers really that bad?
I live on the west coast now. What should I expect-any thoughts that will prepare us for a hard move are appreciated.
I have to say again, when I visited I couldn't believe how friendly the whole town was. That is a huge positive in my eyes.
It would just make me feel better hearing great things about Lexington. The more the better.

Last edited by piniw; 06-12-2009 at 08:11 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 AM

13 posts, read 39,264 times
Traffic can get bad some times but it's really not that bad!! I guess if you are from a small town of a 100 or less then come here it is. It's all relative. Summers can get humid at times, especially if your from the west coast, but it comes and goes. This is mild weather. The cloudy days takes getting use to, at least for us it did. We moved here from Las Vegas because we wanted a better life for the whole family, and that was 14 yrs ago and were still here. Overall it was a good move!! Lexington is a great city!!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:41 AM

1,714 posts, read 5,731,002 times
Please ignore our moderator's continual redirection to Louisville.

Positives about Lexington:

Lexington has a really GOOD fine arts scene, especially for a town of its size. If you want to hear more about this, I can tell you. Meanwhile, if you are interested, check out LexArts - Home.

The hiking is very good. There is a wooded gorge area, quite large, with natural stone arch formations. This is really nice hiking country with many, many excellent trails of varying length and intensity. Check out the Red River Gorge for more info.

There is a fine waterfall called Cumberland Falls, which is a good daytrip down I-75 - also some rafting opportunities in that area.

The university is really the heart of the city. This is why you have such a high percentage of educated residents, the good arts scene, the progressive/liberal population near the university, etc., etc. The university is one of the city's major employers, as well. It's a huge influence in so many ways.

Lexington is in a good spot for weather. It somehow seems to miss the tornadoes, the heavy snows, etc. I think this is because of its geography; it's protected by a ring of hills which send much of the less-desirable weather elsewhere. Coming from California, you might dislike the months of rain and grey skies; however, the green, GREEN summers are very nice.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:57 AM

844 posts, read 1,949,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piniw View Post
for a city of it's size it was horrible and I'm from a big city
THANK YOU!!! Some people on this site are in denial. Not saying the traffic is the worst I have seen, but come on... let's at least paint a realistic picture. No need to lie to people, only to have them disappointed when they move here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Please ignore our moderator's continual redirection to Louisville.
I agree... Cinci is MUCH better for a day trip than L-ville Cinci has bubble tea, a decent art museum, and plenty of stuff to do!!! L-ville is kinda boring (for a guy from Los Angeles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
the green, GREEN summers are very nice.
Agreed. With an air conditioned car you don't even notice the heat after a year of living here. The green is so beautiful that it hypnotizes you and makes you never want to leave this area

Old 06-12-2009, 08:09 AM

Wow-feeling better already. Keep it coming.
I am actually not from California but rather Oregon. So, the comments about the gray skies-used to it and totally doesn't bother me. It just makes me appreciate getting out on those sunny days even more.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 AM

24 posts, read 58,329 times
I'm still fairly new here, but other than the monsoons and somewhat bipolar weather, I love it here. I've yet to see this traffic that everyone complains about (but then again, I am from Detroit). It gets a little hairy around five, six o' clock, but it moves fairly steadily.

There's lots of beautiful scenery right in the city, from pretty drives to pretty parks, and gorgeous architecture. Lots of history, too, and the majority of people are extremely nice and helpful.

I have to say the only thing I miss is the diversity of ethnic foods.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 AM

7,021 posts, read 15,227,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
THANK YOU!!! Some people on this site are in denial. Not saying the traffic is the worst I have seen, but come on... let's at least paint a realistic picture. No need to lie to people, only to have them disappointed when they move here.

I agree... Cinci is MUCH better for a day trip than L-ville Cinci has bubble tea, a decent art museum, and plenty of stuff to do!!! L-ville is kinda boring (for a guy from Los Angeles).

Agreed. With an air conditioned car you don't even notice the heat after a year of living here. The green is so beautiful that it hypnotizes you and makes you never want to leave this area

Louisville has several places with bubble tea and also a decent art museum.

Louisville Restaurants Forum • View topic - VT's Bubble Cup

The trendiest and newest one is VT's bubble cup.

Also, not sure your point because Cincy is just as boring for someone from a big city? I don't redirect to Louisville or Cincinnati, but the simple fact is that they offer many more amenities than Lexington (but less than a big city like LA of course), and when people ask for things that cannot be found in Lexington, myself and others will point them to regional cities where they can find what they need. Honestly, I grew to love Kentucky and would rather people know that they CAN find most the amenities they need in KY. Otherwise, they end up leaving the state and we have seen this time and again. IrishTom29 was a perfect example. Several times I have redirected people from Louisville to regional cities like Indianapolis for places like Trader Joe's and Nordstrom (or even Cincy but frankly the shopping is much better in Indy) just to let people know once again, the amenities CAN be found in the region! Honestly, for many (but not all) people from larger cities, Louisville is just as boring as Lexington which is just as boring as Cincy. It is all in what you make of it! Lexington certainly has enough to keep one entertained, but to the OP, do not go in expecting a metropolitan city. We will not beat this in the ground any longer. Carry on

Positives of Lexington for the OP:
1) CHEAP read very cheap!
2) natural scenic beauty and country side only 10 minutes from anywhere in town
3) Keeneland and the bluegrass horse farms and country vibe to town (if you like a slower pace)
4) college town vibe
5) traffic is not THAT bad, it just lacks a freeway system
6) very friendly people

Last edited by Peter1948; 06-12-2009 at 10:49 AM..

Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 AM

186 posts, read 415,227 times
I'd agree with stx. It sounds like you have already committed so make the best of it. Lexington works really well for a certain type of person, I'm not one of those people so I was bored out of my mind while living there. If you are a typical frat or sorority type college kid it's great, if you are married with kids and like the burbs and chain shopping it's great. If you don't fit into either of those categories it's horrible.

I spent more time in Cinci and Louisville than I did in Lexington when I had freetime. IMHO Louisville offered the most for me, Bardstown Road and Frankfort Ave. are gems for this region, Cinci doesn't offer anything that comes close. And please, no mention of Northside or Clifton, they are both about 2 blocks long.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 AM

So, I guess you may call me the married with kids burb type. Most things I do revolve around my kids school and activities which I know makes a difference as I'm not looking for nightlife or great art museums. I know that all of that is available within an hour anyway.
I would also be moving closer to family in IN, and IL. That may be worth it all on it's own.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:00 PM

10,255 posts, read 20,179,657 times
Lexington is OK. It's clean and sits in a gorgeous region. It's a great town to own a convertible for day trips out in the country. There are some decent places to go out to eat and several good cigar shops. The library is good. People are nice. Traffic ain't bad.

I moved down from Chicago and enjoyed Lexington for awhile but in the end it wasn't for me. Which doesn't mean it's a bum town.

If you want a small city or suburban vibe it's nice. If you want a big city vibe pass Louisville and Cincinnati and go direct to Chicago or New York; if you want that then do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area