Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 12,164 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't go to Jacobson to fish anymore. You'll occassionally see somebody pull in a decent carp or grass carp, but beyond that it's tiny bluegill and 4"-8" bullhead cats. And even then, bites are generally few and far between due to over-fishing. Someone told me there a decent amount of crappie in the lake, but I've never seen anybody pull one out.

All the good fishing in the city is on private property. Lake Ellerslie (the other portion of Reservoir #4) is right across the street from Jacobson and has a lot of good sized catfish and bass, but you can only fish it if you're a member of the fishing club. There's also good fishing in the reservoir lakes off Richmond road, but those waters are available only to people living on the shoreline.

If you're just looking to kill a little time and do some lunltra-light or bobber fishing, there's Hickman Creek that skirts the edge of Veterans Park. Again, you're mostly going to catch little bluegill... but at least you can catch a lot of them 9as opposed to the few at Jacobson). There are also spotted bass and a few smallmouth to be had. I genreally fish small inline spinners near sunset and pull in quite a few. I've not fished for carp there, but I alwas see a few nice ones near the dam.

It's really a shame that there's not more public access fishing in lexington considering the size of the reservoirs. I guess that's the price you pay for living in a "metropolitan" area, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 24,064 times
Question Lexington Fishing in Winter / February - need a little help

Hi guys,

I am going to be in Lexington this weekend (getting there Friday), and I'm trying to find out if everything's frozen there, or if I might possibly be able to do a little bank fishing. The last and only time I've ever been to Lexington was about 15 years ago, and it was Summer, so I'm sorry if this sounds like a silly question. I'm from Kansas City, and up here, most lakes and creeks are still good and frozen. If anybody could let me know what the water's like there right now (the creeks in town, Lake Herrington, Elk Horn, etc), I would really, really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Scott Crumpler

Old 02-16-2011, 06:27 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
You'll be happy to know that it was clear and close to 70 in Lexington today! It is supposed to get cloudy by Friday but still be mild, with a chance of rain this weekend, but still unusually warm temps.
The ice is gone from the places you named.

Do you have a KY fishing license? If not, you might want to look into it before heading for the bank.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 24,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You'll be happy to know that it was clear and close to 70 in Lexington today! It is supposed to get cloudy by Friday but still be mild, with a chance of rain this weekend, but still unusually warm temps.
The ice is gone from the places you named.

Do you have a KY fishing license? If not, you might want to look into it before heading for the bank.
CraigCreek - Thanks for the report! I'm excited about coming, although not about the $30 non-resident 7-day license fee. I did check into that to be sure, and happily they can be purchased on the KY game & fish site and printed out.

Thanks again for your response, and if anyone can point me and my uncle in the direction of some good bank fishing spots in the metro area for bass/catfish, I'd appreciate that as well!

Tight lines,

Scott

Old 05-08-2011, 04:48 AM

2 posts, read 23,421 times
"CraigCreek - Thanks for the report! I'm excited about coming, although not about the $30 non-resident 7-day license fee. I did check into that to be sure, and happily they can be purchased on the KY game & fish site and printed out.

Thanks again for your response, and if anyone can point me and my uncle in the direction of some good bank fishing spots in the metro area for bass/catfish, I'd appreciate that as well!"

Well, you could try Veteran's park. They have decent smallmouths and bluegill. There are redears, but not as common. This creek is not over-fished, so you will catch quite a few.

As for Herrington Lake, you can't really bank fish: 95% of it is private property. 5% of it are marinas that won't let you bank fish on their land.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
The amount of fish in Hickman Creek (Veterans Park) always amazes me. Been fishing there this week and caught several hand size bluegill and saw school of huge carp (1.5 to 2 feet long) plus several bass in the 1 to 2 pound range. I've caught bullhead catfish there in the past as well.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 23,421 times
Default veterans park

I went fishing in Veterans Park close to sunset at fished some spoiler shad, grubs, and inline spinners. There were tons of fish there; I caught some bluegills, smallies, and a suprise crappie!!! The smallies (smallmouth bass) were around a pound. If you are going to fish for small bluegill, just bring worms. For more fish, bring some small lures like curlytails, swimbaits like spoiler shad, and spinners. You'll catch some bluegill and smallies very easily!

The Fishing "kid"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area