Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:17 AM

40 posts, read 224,279 times

Advertisements

Funny. I'm trying to do the opposite! I'm moving to Texas next week! Yes, you pay the 6percent tax for your NADA value every year. Anything I should know about Texas registration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 09:40 AM

141 posts, read 543,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natnic View Post
Funny. I'm trying to do the opposite! I'm moving to Texas next week! Yes, you pay the 6percent tax for your NADA value every year. Anything I should know about Texas registration?
Not sure if anything is different if you are moving from out of state because I livedin TX my whole likfe until I moved to KY, but as far as yearly registration fees... $50-75/ year. (I think depending on how old your car is) THat's it! Simple as that! You can do it online or in person at the courthouse. TX also requires a state inspection and emissions test yearly, it's $39.00 or something like that, and you can go to many places to get that done (some gas stations, car repair places, etc) it takes like 15 min and they give you a sticker for your car.

Good luck with your move! Where in TX? I'm jealous! I miss home!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 PM

9 posts, read 18,065 times
This really stinks. I bought my car 7 years ago and I had no reason to think I would need to keep the receipt for sales taxes this long. In MI, I just paid $123 for the annual registration. But, in KY I'd have paid $240. Our renewal is based on the value of the car as well, but it must be a lower rate.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 PM

9,512 posts, read 8,975,730 times
Exclamation The facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2ky View Post
What's the deal about getting your car registered here? I just moved from TX, so my car is currently registered there. But in order to register it here and get a KY plate, I hear I have to pay 6% TAX on my car?? Is this true? How does it work? 6% of what it's worth now? Or what I payed for it? And is this a YEARLY fee or how often to you pay this? And if I get new car in 6 months, do I pay this again? Seems outrageous for me compared to TX where we just pay $50 a year!
Easy there cowboy, I just registered vehicles in Texas in 2007 and I had to pay hundreds of dollars to retitle, inspect, and register all my vehicles - including each trailer! Each inspection was $35 per vehicle and no vehicle was less than $75 to register (including the motorcycle). I even had to get a title for my landscape trailer as well as pay a registration fee (trailers are free in Kentucky). I was happy to pay all these costs as a responsible adult until I found out that over 50% that were on the highway didn't have insurance! I even saw places that rented tires by the week (so they could pass their inspection). I won't even cover how much my insurance premiums increased. Lots of states charge a yearly rate based on the value of the vehicles (California, Minnesota, etc).

As covered in more than a few forums, each state raises funds in a variety of ways. In Texas, there is no income tax but before you start moving, they have nearly a 9% sales tax and high property taxes. In Kentucky, we have a magical city (occupational) tax that everybody seems to like so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: