Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 04:30 PM

283 posts, read 1,025,933 times

Advertisements

Thank you! (Can you tell I'm nervous about this move? And can you tell I've lived in the same state all my life, and the same town for the past 25 years? LOL)

Gimme It, if there are any particular areas you want me to check out/take pics of for you when I'm there this weekend, just let me know. I know you're planning a trip there in June but I'm happy to help if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 04:57 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times
Hey there,
You and I may be interested in some of the same neighborhoods. I was interested in Beaumont, Palomar and Waterford too. I'm also interested in Glendover, Harrod Hills and Landsdown. I like that these neighborhoods are not brand new.Others that looks good are Shadeland, Fairway, Stonewall and Cumberland Hills. Of course, I'm hardly an expert, but from real estate websites I gathered these places are less costly than Chevy Chase and the houses are in established neighborhoods. Please don't make any special trips on my account, but do see all the neighborhoods that intrigue you and I would love to hear your take on them. There is so much to see and so little time!!! And unlike your family, we have to explore Louisville, as well. My brain just may explode.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:10 PM

31 posts, read 134,079 times
haha, well I've always lived here, so I do understand being nervous about moving. I'm not planning to move anytime soon myself.

the other poster answered the questions about Palomar, Beaumont and Waterford. I actually went to Southern Middle School, and I cannot lie, I really, really hated it. I doubt that the administration is the same as it was then, but I remember fights happening pretty often in the hallways, some good teachers, but others who were totally apathetic and unwilling to do their jobs. we got only 20 minutes to wait in line and inhale our food at lunchtime, and 3 minutes to crush though the hallways when changing classes. we had classes out in portables but weren't allowed to wear our winter coats in sub-zero temperatures because we must certainly be trafficking drugs in them. as for actual students using drugs, I never saw anything like that, just the usual cigarette smokers sneaking one in bathrooms or outside (normal for any middle school). when I was in school, there was zero discipline for bullies, and as I understand there is much more parental involvment and even some talk of legislation on this universal problem, so hopefully it has improved.

I'm actually not a fan of Kentucky's and more specifically, Fayette County's public education as it was experienced by me in the past decade. I had the same problems mentioned previously and in other threads with the stiff requirements for magnet programs vs. not being challenged in regular courses. in high school, however, it was much easier to get into the AP programs and the teachers for the advanced classes were much more qualified than the middle and elementary teachers, and really put their hearts into their jobs. I went to Lafayette, but I have many friends who went to Tates Creek High and they also enjoyed their courses for the most part.

the "neighborhoods around Henry Clay High" include Ashland, Chevy Chase, Idle Hour, Lakeview, the Island, Lakeshore, and Glendover. I've been in this general area for several years and I've never had any major problems with crime. that is to say, Lexington is interesting in that any time a serious crime is commited, such as a homicide, it is put on the news and sometimes makes top story for a week or more afterwards. about seven years ago, some Henry Clay students actually carjacked a girl in the parking lot of a building across the street from a school. I still remember this now, because to my knowledge there hasn't been a carjacking in the entire city of Lexington, since. (don't hold me to that, though :P)

in the SE side of town, you want to avoid living in the Centre Parkway (section 8) area immediately around Tates Creek High school, but don't worry about the safety of the students attending there. the surrounding neighborhoods are pretty nice, and the area does have a second police station (the only other one is downtown). Alumni/Buckhorn is peaceful and wooded, suburbian.

I lived on the due West end of town on Alexandria on the other side of Versailles Road. most of the population there is aging and the houses are going for reasonable prices. however, a lot of people are moving out, and some are unwilling to move in, due to prejudice over the growing Hispanic portion of the population that congregates in the area. we never had any real problems with crime in the apartment complex we lived in there (we left our car windows open one night and someone stole a few cassette tapes, lol). things could get rowdy in the evenings but quieted down at dark. of course, I lived next door to a salsa bar and had police security on the complex. on the inside of Versailles Road in Garden Springs and Mason-Headley is another idyllic suburbian neighborhood. the SW area of town is the aforementioned Beaumont/Palomar neighborhood, by the illustrious Dunbar High school. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that even an area of town that people consider to be "bad" doesn't necessarily have an actual high crime rate, but sometimes these opinions are borne of prejudice. still, stay away from that North End, that isn't a joke.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Hey there,
I'm also interested in Glendover, Harrod Hills and Landsdown. I like that these neighborhoods are not brand new.Others that looks good are Shadeland, Fairway, Stonewall and Cumberland Hills. Of course, I'm hardly an expert, but from real estate websites I gathered these places are less costly than Chevy Chase and the houses are in established neighborhoods.
I'm most familiar with Landsdowne and Stonewall neighborhoods. I grew up in Landsdowne; my parents still live there, and my dear mother still has a habit of forgetting to lock the door. I don't know if we were more lucky or it really is that nice! I got most of my exercise growing up from bicycling in the area, and to other friends' houses.

you are correct in that there are neighborhoods just as nice as Chevy Chase, and almost as old, but don't cost as much. Chevy Chase is actually known as a rich area of town, and the majority of neighborhoods in Lexington are more affordable but not any less safe or less peaceful. other nice but expensive neighborhoods are: Masterson Station, Hartland, Ashland, and Beaumont to a lesser degree. regardless of your budget, you can find a good home in a friendly neighborhood here; it doesn't have to be in the priciest areas.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:05 PM

Natasha,

Thanks SO much for posting your perspective. I really appreciate it and it helps more than you know!!!

Angie

Old 04-24-2007, 07:07 PM

you're welcome. ^_^

Old 04-25-2007, 06:23 AM

458 posts, read 2,289,885 times
Default Hijackers

Thanks for "hijacking" this thread. The conversations about specific neighborhoods is going to be a huge benefit to me. Please continue to post impressions as you visit neighborhoods, etc. I am going to be referring back to this thread next month when I visit!

Old 04-25-2007, 07:31 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,560 times
Although in Masteron Station and Hartland you would probably have to consider private schools. Masterson Station is slated to have a new elementary school in 2009. However I believe the middle school is Leestown, look at its report card.
The Andover area is slated for a new elementary school in 2009 too. Some of the houses there are pricey too but you get a lot of house for the money.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
Although in Masteron Station and Hartland you would probably have to consider private schools. Masterson Station is slated to have a new elementary school in 2009. However I believe the middle school is Leestown, look at its report card.
The Andover area is slated for a new elementary school in 2009 too. Some of the houses there are pricey too but you get a lot of house for the money.
I'll have to check Andover again. I noticed there seemed to be a lot of nice houses there. Been awhile since I looked at that area. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:42 AM

55 posts, read 358,236 times
Default Hey Natasha

I too grew up in lansdowne and my parents also still live there!! I miss it so much. It remains a great area today, I would say. Houses are aging gracefully and home values still climbing. Great access to all the shopping one would need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area