Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:33 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,641 times

Advertisements

Shame on those religious types for wanting Lexington to be a shining example of love and people helping out people.

Personally I can't wait for "IT" to happen. I want to be from the city that showed government we can help each other out & don't need their corruption. Awesome!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM

285 posts, read 901,971 times
I've been here almost 3 months. When I'm out and about everyone seems nice to me. I love my neighborhood. I personally love that the buildings are not the same we have many green areas as you drive around. I love it here and the people.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 AM

13 posts, read 26,035 times
It's green

Lexington is green in the sense that there are a lot of trees. It is just a short drive outside of the cities core before you have a beautiful country drive filled with rolling hills and horse farms.

It's redneck,
Not being from Lexington, I was surprised with how many people really consider Lexington to be a big city. It is certainly not that. However, even those that are amazed with the shopping options, restaurants, and "traffic", are not rednecks. Lexington is surrounded by small town Kentucky, but it is filled with those who left those towns for something a bit more progressive.

right wing fundamentalists are in control.

Kentucky is definitely run by the right, but Lexington is far more liberal than the rest of the state. Politicians like Kathy Stein, who is about as far left as you can get anywhere, has successfully won local and state political positions. Ernesto Scorsoni, who is openly gay, has also had little trouble running for office. That wouldn't be possible if everyone were a fundi. Not to mention, our current mayor is a democrat! I would say that if you are from a large and liberal city, you will feel like the democrats in Kentucky, including Lexington, are more like moderate conservatives.

People are friendly superficially. Don't expect them to actually be sincere.
It sounds like the person who originally posted just spends time with the wrong people. I think superficial "red necks" live everywhere.
People who you don't know well tend to treat you nicely. This friendliness may be superficial, but I don't expect strangers to be sincerely joyous as they wave or my waitress to feel truly lucky to be able to serve me my beverage.
Once you get to know people, they become just as nice or not nice as they do anywhere else.

It's regressive - the above block anything that helps people, including, and you won't believe it.....building sidewalks
I do believe, sincerely, that Lexington is making a big effort to be more progressive. Recently, there have been budget cutbacks which put things like sidewalk repair behind, but generally, Lexington does what it can. That said, I wouldn't exactly call Lexington overly progressive. Slowly progressive would be fair, I think.

The jesus ilk leave their faith at the doorstep and screw the poor as much
as possible.

Being in the Bible belt, strangers will likely assume that you attend church. I don't think that the poor are more or less screwed in Lexington than they are anywhere else in the country.

The public transportation is virtually nonexistent. there is a bus service, if
you will, that's goes twice an hour, is always late, and doesn't run much at all on sundays. I guess if you don't have a car you're expected to stay home on sunday.

This is, unfortunately, very true. Public transportation is nearly nonexistant. They are trying to work on it, but I don't think they are doing really well. Realisticly, you will need a car if living in Lexington.

It has a big university but it's impossible to get a job there. it's like a club. cutbacks on staff means very few jobs and even though qualified, it's nearly impossible to even get an interview.
And if you can't get a job at the University of Kentucky, you can try for jobs at Transylvania University, BCTC (the community college) or commute to one of the many colleges in nearby towns (Midway, Eastern, Berea, KSU, Midway, Asbury, Georgetown, etc)

there's a lot of racial tension. I would call it reverse discrimination. No doubt with the right wing element here blacks have faced a tough time but I am not responsible, nor am I an ignorant redneck so don't blame me.
I haven't experienced racial tension personally.
At all.

I regret moving here yet when I see on TV the riot-like anti- health reform crowds I regret moving back to the U S at all. It's not the country I left and I feel disgusted and ashamed of it.

I think Lexington is an alright place. I have lived in many places and will probably move several more times, however I would definately consider coming back to Lexington or even retiring here. It has a small town feel with lots of amenities.

My true criticisms of Lexington are that it lacks a true arts scene. There are small galleries and a vibarant gallery hop once a month, but exhibits at the small museums (University of Kentucky and Headley Whitney) rarely rotate and tend to be similar in nature. There is an opera house which has off Broadway shows, however expect to only see a handful of shows per year. There is a small actors guild as well as the Universities for additional entertainment. If you need more professional theater and art, Louisville and Cinci art about an hour away. There are a lot of live bands in Lexington, and you can find live music most every night... but NOT every night. I know it sounds like a lot, but if you are from a larger city, it may not seem like it.

Also, things seem to close so early. No dinner after 10pm. 8 or 9pm on Sundays.

My favorite things about Lexington are...
The historic Kentucky Theatre, which plays both newer and older films and also provides live music.
Trees, trees, trees.
Raven Run nature sanctuary (Lots and lots of trails)
Sqecial Media (there's no place like it)
The size is perfect.
Lots of sidewalks.
More and more bike lanes.
Surprising variety of food options.
Blah blah blah

I suppose that will do.

If anyone is actually moving or planning on visiting Lexington, feel free to email me with specific questions.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpull2 View Post
My true criticisms of Lexington are that it lacks a true arts scene.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpull2 View Post
things seem to close so early.
True. Not only that, but for those of us who work for a living, Saturday is the only day we can do things. Most things seem to shut down on Sunday.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 10,719 times
me-go-now..............thank you

Old 08-12-2009, 06:15 AM

127 posts, read 355,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
I want to be from the city that showed government we can help each other out & don't need their corruption. Awesome!
LOL!!! Don't you think its odd that you call the government corrupt, yet religion isn't? Keep giving money to your "miracle" healers on TV, and make sure you donate to your church while the priest is in the back fondling your kid.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
LOL!!! Don't you think its odd that you call the government corrupt, yet religion isn't? Keep giving money to your "miracle" healers on TV, and make sure you donate to your church while the priest is in the back fondling your kid.
Your disgusting words were uncalled for.

But to answer your legitimate concerns - I have not experienced such problems with the churches I attend... but I have definitely been taken by the government. The "IT" movement isn't related to the sensational concerns you posted above, or to "religion". Open your mind.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
The "IT" movement isn't related to the sensational concerns you posted above, or to "religion".
"it" is not related to religion? How so?

"We are starting a new church, like the first church. Chasing after Jesus. Focusing on what Jesus focused on. Caring for who Jesus cared for. A church like the original, but new and improved."

"It" is a money maker for the church. Christians have lost the true meaning of religion, you think jesus wants a big church?

Sensational concerns? Try facts. You state your trying to get away from a "corrupt" government, yet turn a blind eye to how corrupt religion has become.

"Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own?" - Robert G. Ingersoll

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers."
-- Denis Diderot

Good luck with your future endeavors and "it"

Old 08-12-2009, 02:54 PM

I see that you are misunderstanding things. I wish I could help you... but I'm not good at that. Just don't spread your hatred around Lexington please.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Just don't spread your hatred around Lexington please.
No hatred here. Truth. How about you and your southland christian church stop spreading your underlying hatred for homosexuals? Its is a choice, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area