Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:20 PM

969 posts, read 2,819,875 times

Advertisements

I use to think the same thing until somebody explained it to me. I was on a BMW forum and said my AWD BMW "Really gripped the road." Another poster explained it to me.

Let me ask you this. Which has more traction: A 2wd car with bald tires on ice or a 4wd car with bald tires on ice? The both have the same amount of traction since that has to do with the tire and the surface that it is contacting. That is why they make winter tires, chains, really soft performance tires, etc. That is also why they make knobby tires for off road. Would you take a Jeep off road in the mud with a set of bald all-season tires? No, because all the wheels would probably do is spin. You would have no traction. Traction is about grip. Grip comes from the tire. 4wd gives you more control over the available traction, but it does not give you any more traction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 06:31 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
I use to think the same thing until somebody explained it to me. I was on a BMW forum and said my AWD BMW "Really gripped the road." Another poster explained it to me.

Let me ask you this. Which has more traction: A 2wd car with bald tires on ice or a 4wd car with bald tires on ice? The both have the same amount of traction since that has to do with the tire and the surface that it is contacting. That is why they make winter tires, chains, really soft performance tires, etc. That is also why they make knobby tires for off road. Would you take a Jeep off road in the mud with a set of bald all-season tires? No, because all the wheels would probably do is spin. You would have no traction. Traction is about grip. Grip comes from the tire. 4wd gives you more control over the available traction, but it does not give you any more traction.
baloney

-"they both have the same amount of traction "

on a 2wd rear drive ( that is what the OP was comparing) the rear tires also have to push the "dead" 2 tires on the front of the car, thus they need much better treads to accomplish that.

If the front tires are " pulling their own weight" you don't need as much treads on the tires cuz the rear tires aren't pushing the whole car alone.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:57 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,875 times
Well, if the crux of your point relies on the tread of the tires, then that supports my point that traction has to do with tires, and 4wd gives you control over the all the traction available.

I can't explain it any clearer.......sorry!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:56 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Presumably the OP isn't going to be getting a new car with bald tires, so getting back (more or less) to the question: no, you don't need four-wheel-drive - most of the time. In a typical Bluegrass winter, there will be a couple of times that it might come in handy, but it's not essential - and most of the time, you will be given ample warning of severe winter weather ahead of time, and can stock up on essentials in case you get stuck at home for a few days. As noted, unless you plan to live in a very hilly neighborhood (of which there are few in Lexington, where the natural terrain is rolling) or out in the country or down near the Kentucky River, where it IS very hilly - you should be fine without 4-WD.

Just keep a blanket and flashlight for (unlikely) emergencies plus a couple of bags of kitty litter in the trunk (good for ice as well as weight) and remember to be careful when braking on snow or ice - don't stand on the brake or stomp down on it, just gently, gradually pump it. If you hit an unexpected icy patch and skid, steer in the direction of a skid to regain control. Practicing in an icy parking lot is a great idea to get the hang of it. Slow down when there's newfallen snow, take it easy, be alert, and you'll be fine.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:30 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,641 times
Also, I would carry a small shovel in the trunk. This winter I was unable to get my car out of the ice one day. The thick carpet of ice around the car needed to be broken up, to get enough traction to slide over to the road... a scenario in which AWD would not have helped at all. Rubber does not grip ice.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
Well, if the crux of your point relies on the tread of the tires, then that supports my point that traction has to do with tires, and 4wd gives you control over the all the traction available.

I can't explain it any clearer.......sorry!
traction is a combination of tire tread and weight exerted down on those tires.

No way would a rear wheel drive be equal to a AWD/FWD cuz the front engine weighs a lot more than an empty trunk.

I seriously doubt if many of you posters have ever driven a 2wd rear drive vehicle.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:28 PM

141 posts, read 752,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Presumably the OP isn't going to be getting a new car with bald tires, so getting back (more or less) to the question: no, you don't need four-wheel-drive - most of the time. In a typical Bluegrass winter, there will be a couple of times that it might come in handy, but it's not essential - and most of the time, you will be given ample warning of severe winter weather ahead of time, and can stock up on essentials in case you get stuck at home for a few days. As noted, unless you plan to live in a very hilly neighborhood (of which there are few in Lexington, where the natural terrain is rolling) or out in the country or down near the Kentucky River, where it IS very hilly - you should be fine without 4-WD.

Just keep a blanket and flashlight for (unlikely) emergencies plus a couple of bags of kitty litter in the trunk (good for ice as well as weight) and remember to be careful when braking on snow or ice - don't stand on the brake or stomp down on it, just gently, gradually pump it. If you hit an unexpected icy patch and skid, steer in the direction of a skid to regain control. Practicing in an icy parking lot is a great idea to get the hang of it. Slow down when there's newfallen snow, take it easy, be alert, and you'll be fine.
This is nuts. "You don't need four wheel drive but prepare to be stranded for days on end with a car full of survival gear."

1) You don't need four wheel drive in Lexington.

2) Even if, for some really odd reason, you go stuck in Lexington, YOU ARE IN A MAJOR METROPOLITAN AREA. You call a tow truck on your cell phone or at worst walk up to the nearest dairy mart for coffee and to use the payphone.

No need to panic, folks.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:21 AM

I think the OP's headline is very misleading------ 4WD necessary

Of course it isn't and you'll do just fine with a 2WD front wheel drive car

However, you stated you have 2 options in the car you are considering----AWD or 2WD rear drive

Given those oprions, I would go with AWD.

If the option was 2WD ( front wheel drive) vs AWD I would not.

That is not an option in the car you are considering.

Pay a little more upfront now, the extra value( AWD ) will stay with your car.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:50 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,557 times
I very much agree that front wheel drive would be better. I've had FWD, RWD, and 4WD vehicles, and honestly, the most helpful was FWD. The 4WD is totally overkill in central Kentucky.

Lexington's winters are so mild, it really doesn't matter, though.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:11 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
DeoGratias, my post clearly stated that what you term "survival gear" is handy to have if you get stuck at home, not in your car! Anyone who made it through either or both of the ice storms of 2003 and 2009 would understand my point, which evidently escaped you.

Keeping a blanket, a flashlight, kitty litter, and a small snow shovel, in your car in the winter is just plain common sense. As for walking to the nearest Dairy Mart, that's fine for those in walking distance. I am not, and I live within two miles of Main Street. And even if I were...well, I'd just as soon stick close to home when limbs are falling from ice-coated trees, and avoid both streets and sidewalks.

BTW, land line phones were also knocked out in much of Lexington during both ice storms, so finding a pay phone wouldn't have been very helpful. As for tow trucks, I needed one during the last ice storm, as my car's rear window was knocked out by a falling limb - but I had to wait a couple of days until the roads were clear enough for the tow truck to venture forth onto my hilly, curvy, but never-plowed, never-salted Chevy Chase street.

I do agree that severe weather isn't usual here, and there's no need to panic about typical - or even atypical - Lexington winter weather. But it is wise to prepare. If you never need the blanket, flashlight, kitty litter and snow shovel, wonderful. But if you do...it's mighty good to have them.

Please re-read my previous post. You quoted from it, but it doesn't appear you read it accurately.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 09-05-2009 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: corrected 2003 ice storm date
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area