Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 04:30 PM

9 posts, read 20,646 times

Advertisements

My family and I just moved here and my husband is a full time student at UK getting his DMA (and I mean really full time, he is gone all day, and most evenings).

My problem is I can't find a job. One of the troubles I am having is I have nobody to watch my 3 year old son for interviews and such, and can't afford daycare or babysitting. The state assistance program only applies if you already have a job, so you can see the catch-22 I am in. I have applied for every available job I can think of on Craigslist, and no luck so far. Because we just moved here from across the country, I am not eligible for unemployment.

Ideally I would like a job where I either don't have to pay for daycare (swing shift work) or I can bring my son with me (Nanny type position).

Does anybody know of anybody who is looking to hire this type of person? I have experience in childcare, housecleaning, waitressing, and as a receptionist. I also work well with animals and love to cook. I love outdoors, and learn new skills quickly.

We just moved 3000 miles across the country so my husband could get his doctorate. I would hate for him to have to quit school because I can't find a job! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:49 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,801,932 times
There are better places to look than just craigslist. Try monster.com or hotjobs.com, careerbuilder.com and also try the newspaper. Craigslist is full of scam jobs so be careful there.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:13 AM

844 posts, read 2,100,780 times
Craigslist is the worst place to look for work!!! Try careerbuilder, monster, etc. Go out & apply at places. Moving somewhere without getting a job first is never a good idea. I tried it many times... tough road.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM

37 posts, read 93,015 times
I have seen some job postings in recent weeks for nanny/babysitter positions in Lexington on Indeed.com.

Good luck! Sometimes you have to move somewhere before you land a job due to your spouse's job/schooling. I am in the same boat as you are.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:04 PM

9 posts, read 20,646 times
Thank you, and yes, sometimes you do have to move before you find a job. I am thinking of trying to watch a few kiddos in my apartment to bring in a little more money. We'll see, I guess.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:09 PM

508 posts, read 1,511,849 times
Temp agencies and in person

Old 09-04-2009, 11:05 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Check with some of the co-op nurseries for your little one (where parents volunteer a few days each week to cover tuition). That would allow you to work part-time elsewhere, while your child could remain in daycare. Several local churches have co-ops, while others offer low-cost daycare/nursery schools: Fayette Co-op, High Street Neighborhood Center, etc. If your husband is at UK, look for daycares nearby so he could provide transportation for your child.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 09-04-2009 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area