Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:10 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy van winkle View Post
It's not that traffic is truly that bad in Lexington. It's just that there's absolutely no reason for it to be.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 02:37 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy van winkle View Post
Yes I am a UK fan. And no, we don't. Football is almost as important as basketball to most fans. Baseball is generally followed by actual students and alumni to some degree. Sidewalk alumni, not so much.

I realize there are other D1 sports, but if you're trying to imply that WKU and UL fans in general care about the other ones, you're lying.
Basketball is supreme among UK fans. Period. I'm friends with too many UK fans to believe otherwise. They care about football (some of them anyway), sure, but students and wealthy alumni donors there care about baseball, tennis, hockey, and other less popular sports the same way that such folks do at UofL and WKU; they hope that they do well, but Kentucky is just a decidedly basketball state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
I've driven the 405 in LA, 285 in Atlanta, and 495 in DC and all were significantly worse than Lexington. NO COMPARISON!
I've driven the 405 and 285 and honestly found them to be no less irritating than New Circle. At least 405 and 285 have greater volume to handle their traffic; New Circle doesn't need to be a mega-freeway, but at least four lanes in each direction in its entirety. Nicholasville Road from New Circle to the Jessamine County line or maybe even Nicholasville's southside could stand to be upgraded to a modern limited-access freeway of 6-10 lanes. Lexington's traffic problems are the result of a combination of Kentucky's p*ss poor per capita spending and planning of transportation projects in metropolitan counties and Lexington's lack of desire to "grow up" from small town status.

Quote:
Grocery options in Lexington are... well... lacking. Granted there's one Whole Foods on Nicholasville Road and a Fresh Market on Tates Creek Road but otherwise your choices are Kroger and... more Kroger.
A-men, amen, and amen! It is nice to see Lexington improving somewhat in this category, though. Don't forget about Slone's, I really like the one at Tates Creek & New Circle; it's one of the few remaining stores of a nice, small local chain and they usually have good, fresh deli products. (At least Slone's was that way when I was last there two years ago.)

Quote:
Granted Lexington is just a large college town, the UK-palooza 24/7 gets very old very quickly...
A-men, amen and amen! Corrupt, slick-headed Italian-descended coaches are more pertinent to the well-being and development of knowledge of Central Kentuckians than, say, advancements in science at the University of Kentucky or a local Army company coming home from overseas. Save the orange ball for the sports section of 27 Newsfirst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Glad to hear that. We don't need people like you, seriously. I feel otherwise though, because why do you keep coming back to the KY board to post if you "didn't like it here." Whatever dude, whatever...
You're from Eastern Kentucky, so naturally Lexington is going to be your gravitational regional center. It basically is, in some ways, a western extension and conglomeration of Eastern Kentucky and its people and culture. Naturally, you're biased.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:31 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

You're from Eastern Kentucky, so naturally Lexington is going to be your gravitational regional center. It basically is, in some ways, a western extension and conglomeration of Eastern Kentucky and its people and culture. Naturally, you're biased.
Might want to look at that map of yours one more time. London is clearly SE KY, some call it South Central KY. Eastern KY is Hazard, Hyden, Harlan, Pikeville, Prestonsburg, Paintsville, Jackson, Inez to name a few. Get it?

Old 12-18-2009, 05:47 PM

54 posts, read 165,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Basketball is supreme among UK fans. Period. I'm friends with too many UK fans to believe otherwise. They care about football (some of them anyway), sure, but students and wealthy alumni donors there care about baseball, tennis, hockey, and other less popular sports the same way that such folks do at UofL and WKU; they hope that they do well, but Kentucky is just a decidedly basketball state.
Sorry, these days football holds just as much clout as basketball among UK fans. I'm telling you this as a UK student for the past 3 years. You're telling me...whatever you're saying as...some guy who lives in Cinci?

Cool.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 AM

18 posts, read 42,015 times
Holy cow, you will be bored stiff, unless you are seriously low key. The traffic is bad, but in comparison to LA, NYC, Houston, etc., it is probably a dream. There is a lack of entertainment, seriously.

There are tons of strip mall types of shopping, some specialty food stores, and a few bars...that's about it really. If you are not into horse racing, get that way. If you are not a UK fan, become one quick...I refuse. Otherwise, there is not much to Lexington. If I were coming from a big city, I would be closer to Louisville or Cincinnati, due to lack of things to do. Don't come to the horse capital expecting to ride any, unless you have your own "less desireable breed-quarter, mountain, etc."

Old 12-28-2009, 12:24 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Being from Austin, you may miss the big sky (shorter trees? ha ) and days of sunshine. You may have trouble adjusting to the humidity. Austin is humid sometimes, but not like central Kentucky, imo. You may not miss the 60 days (was that it?) of 100+ degrees. You'll get some snow and have seasons.

The split level/red brick homes, colonial style, and homes with basements may be different to you, and you will notice the lack of St. Augustine grass and grackles (likely a good thing).

I don't think the traffic, parking or panhandlers will be an issue for you, coming from Austin.

You may miss the music, depending upon whether or not you took part in that in Austin. I don't, so it wouldn't be a big deal. You may miss listening to KGSR in your car, but you can listen to it on your computer. You may have developed a diverse taste in music listening to bands in Austin, and appreciate some kinds in the Lexington area that others find awful.

Lexington may be mostly Kroger, but we have the same problem in Austin and its called HEB. We're similar in that regard, some smaller chains but HEB dominates. On the other hand, in the absence of HEB, no Central Market.

I think you might enjoy UK basketball, but that's just me. I prefer the fast pace of basketball, and prefer college sports to professional. Even though the Longhorns rank highly in basketball now, football is tops in most peoples' minds in both winning seasons and losing seasons in Austin. Longhorn basketball certainly has its fan base, but enthusiasm in the general public crops up during winning seasons. I'll bet most couldn't tell you the rankings right now. I think there is easier access to Commonwealth for football games than there is at DK Royal Memorial Stadium here in Austin, but that's just what I hear. Both cities center somewhat around their universities. Not sure if Lexington does as much as Austin does. I suspect so.

As long as you can get TexMex food (if you like it, and which I think you can get some semblance of now in Lexington) you'll be okay. Lexington even has some pretty good BBQ. And, you can get country ham there. It may be an acquired taste, but we can't get that here sufficiently to acquire it.

I like the size of Lexington, the look of Lexington, the thoroughbreds, history, basketball, bourbon, etc. Nice to go to a place and find that the server knows what Woodford is without asking. And, that you can buy small batch bourbons when they become available. We can't get some of them at all in Austin.

Austin's a great town, Lexington's a great town. The differences in each are enjoyable and you're fortunate to have/have had that opportunity. My opinion, of course.

Last edited by capcat; 12-28-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 10:32 AM

142 posts, read 501,381 times
Wow thanks capcat and others for the detailed response. Turns out the local government's budget has forced them to withdraw the job opening so no Lexington for me at the moment, unfortunately.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:25 PM

969 posts, read 2,818,760 times
Well, I personally don't have any real complaints, but here is what I have heard most people say over the past 25 years: Traffic, no downtown grocery store, not enough night life, UK Basketball infatuation, not enough locally owned restaurants, allergy issues, humidity...........Basically it all boils down to 2 schools of thought: Lexington is too big or too small. I guess that is the problem with a medium sized town. Some people want it to be bigger and some people want it to be smaller. I kind of like it now where there are some bigger city attractions but without all the crime and craziness.

In all the time I have been here, I can probably count on one hand the number of people who have regretted moving here...........so I think you'll probably like it!

Old 12-31-2009, 04:21 PM

508 posts, read 1,511,985 times
A lack of grocery store selection would never cross my top 10 as to what I dislike most about a city

Old 12-31-2009, 08:45 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
A lack of grocery store selection would never cross my top 10 as to what I dislike most about a city
Good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area