Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM

31 posts, read 112,964 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place to live within a 15 minute drive of Versailles, Ky? I'm a single mom and moving from Simpsonville, Ky., because I work in Versailles and I am getting a divorce. No point in driving 45 minutes any longer.

I'm not that familiar with the area since I haven't worked in Versailles that long and I mostly go to work and home again.

Where would be a good place to raise a little boy and where homes are around $250,000 max? My price range is about $200,000 to $250,000. I'd like a big yard, anything from a 1/4 acre up to an acre (we're moving from a 10-acre parcel in Simpsonville so we're used to yards) and I'd like to have some privacy. I don't mind subdivisions, but I don't like houses that back up to other houses. I looked at Glen Eagle in Versailles today and most of those houses back up to other houses. I can't stand that lack of privacy. There are a few houses on one street in Glen Eagle that back up to trees, but I would worry that that area would eventually be developed, too. I did look at Derby Hills in Versailles and that appealed much more because it's a more established subdivision and the trees are mature, thereby giving privacy from the neighbors. But none of those homes had basements and I really want a basement.

On the other hand, I don't want to live way out in the country, either, being a single mom with a toddler son. I'd worry if the roads were impassable in winter snows or about being alone so far out, as we are in Simpsonville.

Thanks for any suggestions you guys can give me. Names of specific subdivisions would be great. I noticed that many houses for sale in Woodford County do not have basements. Guessing that's due to the limestone base. But I really must have a basement. Tornados scare me to death!

Thanks for any input you guys might have. Again, specific subdivisions and the names of areas I should look at within a 15-minute drive to Versailles would be great. I don't want to go out any farther than that because if I did that, I might as well stay in Shelby County. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Oh, I just saw the sticky at the top of this board. Here are my answers to those questions, too:

-Where you are working - Versailles

-How much you are willing to spend on housing - $200K to $250K

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - 15 minutes

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Not sure yet. Child is two years old.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?

Looking for a suburb with a family feel, not too far from malls and grocery stores and shopping.

-Community amenities important to you: safe community, nice homes, laid-back atmosphere

-Pie or cake? - pie, of course.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:04 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,037 times
Have you looked in Midway? Older homes and some newer homes there.

If interested in Lexington, you might consider Rabbit Run (right off of Harrodsburg road with easy access to Man O' War and shooting straight to Versailles). Palomar might be an option as well or at least part of it.... some of the homes there go over your budget. Palomar is also right off of Man O' War-Harrodsburg Rd and quick shoot to Versailles.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:10 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Also on Lexington's southwest side is the older Southland-Twin Oaks area. There are very nice one and two-story brick and stone houses built in the '50s, very reasonably priced at around $125,000 to $150,000 and well-maintained. Some have basements, fireplaces, separate garages, and other amenities. There are lots of mature trees, good-sized but not huge lots - considerably larger than most lots found in newer areas. Many, if not most, back yards are fenced, with plenty of room for a vegetable and/or flower garden and a swingset, and hedges often provide lots of privacy. There are churches, good schools (both public and private), parks and the Southland shopping center in walking or biking distance. It's less than fifteen minutes to the Beaumont Branch Library, Fayette Mall, additional shopping, and about fifteen or twenty minutes from Versailles via either New Circle or Man o' War. It's also about a fifteen minute drive to downtown Lexington - more during rush hour. Hospitals are also close. There are many families with young children in Southland, as well as many older folks and some in-between.

Check it out - it's not quite as rural as you might like, but it has a lot to offer and I was very happy when I lived there several years ago.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 PM

thanks, bluegrass girl and craigcreek. I appreciate the suggestions. I'll check them out.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:41 PM

30 posts, read 80,184 times
I'd personally recommend just living in Versailles - everywhere in that town is within a 15 minute drive. It's a small town, with a low crime rate. I lived there from the time I was 5 until I moved out for college. Sure, I complained about being bored (what teenager doesn't, no matter where they live?), but it really is a good place to grow up. The school system is pretty good for a small town. The middle school is only a few years old, and the high school seems to be getting better every year (they got a new principal in 2006 and he's done wonders for the school). There are lots of neighborhoods with families with young kids, so your son would be able to easily play with other children his age.

For weekly shopping, Versailles has both a Kroger and Save A Lot. There are also hardware stores, drug stores, etc. For anything like a mall though, you'd need to go to Lexington.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:50 AM

8 posts, read 21,688 times
Consider looking in the Franklin county. It is a nice place, decent schools, you will be able to find from properties close to the county line off of 421. It's less than 15 minutes from versailles. Midway is a great place to live too but may be a little expensive.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:55 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
Versailles, Nicholasville, Lawrenceburg = all are redneck DUMPS (although Versailles, to its credit, has a stellar historic district)

Wilmore, Midway, Frankfort = decent, and the best options to consider within 15 minutes of Versailles

Heck, the southwest side of Lexington in the vicinity Lane Allen, Harrodsburg and Parkers Mill Roads and Beaumont Center Circle might suit your fancy, too. If I had...HAD to move back to Central KY, it might be there. Plus, Lexington isn't a "city" in the sense of the word, but really just a mega-small town/overgrown suburb of itself, so you won't really have to worry about real urban problems, just how many stop lights it takes you to get to Kroger or McDonald's.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Versailles, Nicholasville, Lawrenceburg = all are redneck DUMPS (although Versailles, to its credit, has a stellar historic district)

Wilmore, Midway, Frankfort = decent, and the best options to consider within 15 minutes of Versailles

Heck, the southwest side of Lexington in the vicinity Lane Allen, Harrodsburg and Parkers Mill Roads and Beaumont Center Circle might suit your fancy, too. If I had...HAD to move back to Central KY, it might be there. Plus, Lexington isn't a "city" in the sense of the word, but really just a mega-small town/overgrown suburb of itself, so you won't really have to worry about real urban problems, just how many stop lights it takes you to get to Kroger or McDonald's.
Oh my....nevermind. I really hope people do not believe what you type on here. Seriously....

Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 PM

218 posts, read 637,033 times
I am glad the EclecticEars is in the Cincinnati area, their loss is our gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area