U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 05:01 PM

5,638 posts, read 7,672,266 times

Advertisements

There is a much better college basketball team in Lexington! lol
Rate this post positively

Old 12-16-2009, 10:16 AM

31 posts, read 116,299 times
I'd honestly go with Knoxville, though I am a hardcore UK fan.
The downtown area is alot more fun in my opionion. I was there one night, there were several concerts going on, an outdoor shakespear play going on in the square area (can't remember the name of the place), and there were people everywhere. I haven't seen Lexington's dowtown area like that.
Plus, Knoxville is close to the mountains of East TN, which is enough for me to want to live there.
Lexington may seem like the "nicer city", but I feel like knoxville is a little more unique and interesting. JMO

Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,735,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Horse farms are all well & good to look at while driving by, but that doesn't help the average person looking to relocate who are looking for actual substance.

I like Lex, but having spent a lot of time in both areas, I'd honestly say Knoxville is more of a real city & has more to offer the average joe. Lex for the most part is a glorified strip mall college town & has little identity. Sorry, not trying to start a fight, but its true. Knox also has a much higher population & more diversity, if thats your thing.

Plus, and this is sad, but a lot of people here prob have a negative bias towards Knoxville just because UT is there, so I dont know how much I'd trust some opinions in this particular forum. Many Cats fans step that kinda stuff up a notch & take it to another level. Again, sorry, just being real about it.

Neither place holds any kind of special place in my heart, but if I HAD to choose, pound for pound, I'd choose Knoxville.
Spot on.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:14 AM

486 posts, read 1,762,041 times
Here's my take on it- now being an outsider from Nashville. I spent 18 years in Lexington (grew up there) and to start I'm NOT a UK fan (goooo Hoosiers!).

Lexington is the large college town that desperately wants to be a big city hence it's become the regional hub for roughly 60 Kentucky counties. That said, it's still not a huge city therefore you won't find certain amenities that you'll find in larger cities (though Knoxville isn't much better). Geography INSIDE Fayette County is pretty flat with some rolling hills here and there. Downtown is reviving though that Centre Point Project seems to be going nowhere everytime I go home to visit. Usually good shows come through town as well and the local restaurant options in Lexington blow Knoxville out of the water. Infrastructure in Lexington is more up to date than in Knoxville.

Knoxville is a larger city than Lexington and I don't know why people keep disputing this. It's home for UT thus anyone in Lexington will tell you they hate Knoxville and visa versa. Downtown Knoxville has been a mess lately with the I-40 construction but it is a pretty sight by the river. You'll find shows downtown here and there (nothing compared to Nashville though). Knoxville is on the edge of the mountains and Knox County is really quite hilly (and a pain to drive when there's ice). Everything (shopping, food, etc) seems to be located along I-40, the annoying main east-west route through the city (Kingston Pike is always clogged). If you're the outdoorsy type, the Knoxville's proximity to the Smokies will be great (a 3 hour drive from Lexington).

I've not actually lived in Knoxville but have spent quite a bit of time there. I'm not a huge fan of the city honestly though it's not a city that should be immediately ruled out. Big thing for me- no Chase Bank in Tennessee! It's a small thing yes but little differences like that can get annoying when you move. That said, though I grew up in Lexington it's not my favorite city either but if I have to pick between the two I'll say Lexington. The vibe of the two cities are different and you have to experience both for yourself to see which you prefer... No other way of putting it. It's an easy drive from one to the other- check them out!

PS- Have you considered Nashville?

Last edited by teebird1012; 12-17-2009 at 02:24 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 11:53 AM

18 posts, read 63,322 times
My wife and I cannot wait to move because of the unbelievable snobbery expressed by the population here in Lex.

I have thought about why this place is so snooty and may have an answer. Most people don't think very highly of KY, but there are a lot of students who come from other parts of the country to attend UK. I also believe that there are quite a few graduates who for some reason decide to stay. The college graduate rate in KY alone is something like 30% so these people who graduate truly believe they are above the rest of the KY 'rednecks' Also, Lexington and Louisville receive the majority of the state funding because of their universities, while areas like Hazard are absolutely dirt poor. This provides for the snooty attitude that so many 'outsiders' refer to when discussing Lexington. Also, the fact that KY is traditionally a fairly poor region and the select few in Lexington/Louisville have multi-million dollars horse farms, doesn't help. I'm not against people who have a lot of money, just the attitudes that sometimes goes with it...Just my 2 cents.

Go with K'ville

Old 09-18-2011, 12:48 PM

6 posts, read 33,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiehler View Post
My wife and I cannot wait to move because of the unbelievable snobbery expressed by the population here in Lex.

I have thought about why this place is so snooty and may have an answer. Most people don't think very highly of KY, but there are a lot of students who come from other parts of the country to attend UK. I also believe that there are quite a few graduates who for some reason decide to stay. The college graduate rate in KY alone is something like 30% so these people who graduate truly believe they are above the rest of the KY 'rednecks' Also, Lexington and Louisville receive the majority of the state funding because of their universities, while areas like Hazard are absolutely dirt poor. This provides for the snooty attitude that so many 'outsiders' refer to when discussing Lexington. Also, the fact that KY is traditionally a fairly poor region and the select few in Lexington/Louisville have multi-million dollars horse farms, doesn't help. I'm not against people who have a lot of money, just the attitudes that sometimes goes with it...Just my 2 cents.

Go with K'ville
Knoxville sucks! I lived in Tennessee, Johnson City, then Knoxville, for total of 18 years!! and never made 1 friend!! sure you meet people, but they are wrapped up in their clam called Family..couldnt wait to get out of that state!..

Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,652,662 times
Chicago! Cleveland! Milwaukee! Minneapolis!

If I had to pick between the two you listed, Knoxville hands down. Much better social atmosphere, much less "sprawling" in the city core though the suburbs are extensive. I don't like the tax system down there but Knoxville is a much better city overall.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM

6 posts, read 33,432 times
omg! cant believe I have to do this again!!! I am running out of States!! I need to find a good private school for autistic teen.
any suggestions?? I been to: Louisiana, Tn, Georgia, NC, KY, FLA, ALA. all suck for special education!!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 AM

10,688 posts, read 6,259,737 times
Default Try Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofthesearch View Post
omg! cant believe I have to do this again!!! I am running out of States!! I need to find a good private school for autistic teen.
any suggestions?? I been to: Louisiana, Tn, Georgia, NC, KY, FLA, ALA. all suck for special education!!
Tired, you've kinda hijacked this thread, but I suggest you try Texas for special ed private schools:

Quote:
Dallas, Plano--Focus on the Future Training Center, Independence Skills Training for Children with Autism & Other Special Needs

Houston -- The New School in the Heights caters to bright children with social/emotional delays
Houston -- The Harris School for children with social/emotional delays due to ADHA, Bipolar Disorder, language delays, Aspergers, Sensory Integration Disorder
Fulshear --Fulshear Ranch Academy, transitional therapeutic learning center for young women 18 and over Longview--Heartlight Therapeutic Boarding School Therapeutic boarding school for struggling teens promotes interaction / interpersonal relationships between the staff and teen residents
special needs schools and school placement, therapeutic schools, bording schools, transition programs, at risk teens and young adults

With regard to the discussions Lexington vs Knoxville, my sole experience in Knoxville was 25+ years ago when the wife and I stopped for gas on our way to Atlanta. The service station manager told us to be careful going through underpasses as there were a bunch of kids tossing bricks over onto vehicles traveling on the highway. I asked if it was unusual and he said, "We don't really see it much during the week."

That was enough for me.

Lived in Lexington for nearly eight years and in Louisville for nine. I liked them both although each had a different "feel" to it. Louisville more blue collar, Lexington more professional. But for flat out beautiful surrounding country, Lexington beats Louisville and Knoxville both.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:06 PM

12 posts, read 39,828 times
I like both Lexington and Knoxville. But I think that in almost every regard Lexington is a much better place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area