U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 PM

28 posts, read 67,902 times

Advertisements

I lived in Maryville, TN, basically Knoxville. I really did like Knoxville. I lived there for over a year, then moved to Lexington in August 96. At first, I hated it! It was like a different world with a completely different feel to me.......but after a while I began to really like it..In NO time you can be in Louisville or Cincinnati, and Indy isn't that terrible of a drive.........I think they both have their pro's and con's. It is beautiful here........but the climate is probably better in Knoxville.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-09-2014, 04:47 AM

282 posts, read 959,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Lexington is a much nicer city than Knoxville due to much stricter zoning, not to mention the horse farms outside of Lexington. Knoxville has nothing unique about it. The only good thing about it is proximity to the Smoky Mountains.
Who cares about that unless you are a horse farmer?

Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 AM

282 posts, read 959,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
As I write this, your post count is 2 so essentially joined city data to make that statement...

Well, my post count isn't "2" and I agree... Lexington has a lot of crime and it is increasing.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:09 PM

688 posts, read 2,849,547 times
You can find current crime maps for both Knoxville and Lexington at RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing

Old 04-10-2014, 05:14 PM

11,823 posts, read 9,742,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post
Who cares about that unless you are a horse farmer?

Well, I care, a great deal, and I'm no horse farmer.

The historic thoroughbred horse farms to which you refer are world-famous, and help preserve our beautiful Bluegrass, a rare ecosystem which is presently on the UN's list of the 100 most endangered landscapes. The farms bring visitors to our area - everyone from families on vacation to Queen Elizabeth II, who's privately visited the Bluegrass four times, to visit her friends and see her mares and foals.

Without the horse farms, the Bluegrass would not be the Bluegrass. All of us who are blessed to live here would lose enormously, as the beautiful rolling green meadows, miles of drystone walls, barred wooden fences, and fencerows of blooming locusts and other native trees would vanish, to become yet more deadeningly boring and depressing series of generic shopping malls and subdivisions.

Not care about the horse farms?? Why don't you just admit to not caring about Central Kentucky?

Old 04-21-2014, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 10,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Without the horse farms, the Bluegrass would not be the Bluegrass. All of us who are blessed to live here would lose enormously, as the beautiful rolling green meadows, miles of drystone walls, barred wooden fences, and fencerows of blooming locusts and other native trees would vanish, to become yet more deadeningly boring and depressing series of generic shopping malls and subdivisions.
Amen.

We are in Just Another Anonymous Subdivision in Georgetown north of Lexington, but if I don't mind taking about 45 minutes on the back roads (as opposed to 30 on the interstate), the drive into Lexington is gorgeous. I grew up in San Francisco and have lived on both coasts and in between, so am not that easily impressed. But certainly Lexington is unique and special and benefits in immeasurable intangible and tangible ways from a business that most Lexingtonians aren't really involved with.

Lexington is South/Red State but progressive college town with gay mayor (raising no real furor) and a strong farm-to-table community comprised of farmers, restaurants, specialty food/alcohol producers that enhance and support each other - I can see the potential to achieve greater food self-sufficiency in the years to come, which matters with global warming and Calif. droughts, as well as rising price of fuel. Lexington is pretty safe and very livable (despite the recent miserable winter) and probably the worst news here is that it is a little too invested in local sports (basketball) for its' own good - the whole town needs investment in infrastructure, not just our local sports arena.

I've lived enough places to know that any place has its good and bad - really it's what you make of it, and having to choose between Knoxville and Lexington is a fairly enviable problem to have.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,909 times
I moved around a bit, lived mostly in the North but also in some southern states, etc.
I haven't lived in Lexington, Ky.
However, I did live in Knoxville, TN. I can just say that in Knoxville, TN, I met a lot of people who were still very gender-traditional, or old-fashioned. Many of the females just aspired to be barefoot and pregnant.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,879,110 times
Here's my take on it- now being an outsider from Nashville. I spent 18 years in Lexington (grew up there) and to start I'm NOT a UK fan (goooo Hoosiers!).

Born in Nashville, raised in Lexington and a "IU hoosier" fan!? Sounds like you've got some identity issues and serious ones at that! Oh well....nobodys perfect... ( just kiddin, gotta give you a hard time

Old 08-29-2014, 12:07 AM

9,281 posts, read 5,068,435 times
Lexington and the Bluegrass region is truly one of the most beautiful areas in the country, imo.
I have only visited Knoxville, so it is hard for me to make a huge comparison...the city didn't stand out to me, but it is near the Smokey mountains - which are gorgeous. The people are really nice. But I like the people in Lexington too!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,754 times
Default Clarkston, mi great for special education

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofthesearch View Post
omg! cant believe I have to do this again!!! I am running out of States!! I need to find a good private school for autistic teen.
any suggestions?? I been to: Louisiana, Tn, Georgia, NC, KY, FLA, ALA. all suck for special education!!
I don't personally have any special needs children, but I know a lot of people move to this area because our schools have such wonderful special needs programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area