U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 20,273,840 times

Advertisements

I was actually looking in the 40515 area because I saw some of the apartments are very well rated.
I have several websites but would like your opinions. I am concerned about the opportunities for Special Ed/resource rooms for my son (he'd be going into 4th grade).

Also, what are the 'bad schools' to avoid...by bad I mean ones in bad areas. Thanks for all impressions.
I appreciate all the great threads here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 08:38 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,202,654 times
I don't live in Lexington, but have researched the schools. The best elementary schools seem to be Cassidy, Rosa Parks, Glendover and Veterans Park. The best middle schools seem to be Beaumont and Morton, and the best high schools are Dunbar and Henry Clay. You would need to inquire with each of these schools about their special ed services.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 PM

53 posts, read 182,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I don't live in Lexington, but have researched the schools. The best elementary schools seem to be Cassidy, Rosa Parks, Glendover and Veterans Park. The best middle schools seem to be Beaumont and Morton, and the best high schools are Dunbar and Henry Clay. You would need to inquire with each of these schools about their special ed services.
Agree with above post - would also add Stonewall Elementary to the list - it ranks very well, too. ( I don't live in Lexington, either, but have done research, as it is in our "final four" of relocation cities!)

Old 05-21-2007, 05:07 PM

891 posts, read 2,819,422 times
i do live in Lex. Agree with above lists! There is also a new elementary school off of Richmond Rd but i can't think of its name; it does have Athens in it though. By virtue of being new and in a nice area it too should be good.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:15 AM

216 posts, read 1,109,559 times
Default great schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I was actually looking in the 40515 area because I saw some of the apartments are very well rated.
I have several websites but would like your opinions. I am concerned about the opportunities for Special Ed/resource rooms for my son (he'd be going into 4th grade).

Also, what are the 'bad schools' to avoid...by bad I mean ones in bad areas. Thanks for all impressions.
I appreciate all the great threads here.
Check out www.greatschools.net. Lots of interesting information on the public schools in Fayette County. I found it very helpful

It seems that middle schools vary quite a bit. And as far as high schools, Henry Clay and Dunbar rate a "9" out of ten, while Lafayette and Tates Creek rate an "8." (These numbers rank schools based on test scores with schools across the state.) Only one school, Bryan Station, received a low score (1.) Fayette County is doing something right for its' high schoolers!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:42 AM

688 posts, read 2,823,936 times
Veterans Park is a good school, and they had great resource room/special ed teachers there when I worked with them in the past.

I also love Glendover, but their resource and special ed rooms were facing some space issues when I was there (a few years ago). Their building is older and at times, some of the spaces for resource rooms were quite small.

Cassidy and Rosa Parks are also great schools, but I'm not familiar with their special ed programming.

The new school is Athens-Chilesburg - it is a very nice, brand new facility but I don't know anything about its ratings or resource rooms.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:14 AM

6,764 posts, read 20,273,840 times
Thanks, I noticed Veterans Park was rated a 10.
Thank you all for the info!

Old 05-22-2007, 12:28 PM

282 posts, read 951,878 times
One thing I would point out, just in general, is that there is a lot more to a good school than just the greatschools (test score) ratings. For example, my kids go to a 10-rated elementary school where we currently live (not KY), and it definitely has high test scores, but the administration (principal) is terrible. We have had some issues with that. Also, this year neither of my kids (6th and 4th grades) have really been challenged in any of their subjects. Both just coasted through math, in particular. Both are gifted students and are in the gifted program, but "fell through the cracks" in terms of math. Still, they score in the 99th percentile for the standardized achievement tests in math and everything else, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily being challenged to learn. I don't know a good way to measure this in a school (if anyone else does, let me know!) So far I am impressed with KY's options for accelerated class options in many subjects.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:41 PM

216 posts, read 1,109,559 times
Default More than Scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post
One thing I would point out, just in general, is that there is a lot more to a good school than just the greatschools (test score) ratings. For example, my kids go to a 10-rated elementary school where we currently live (not KY), and it definitely has high test scores, but the administration (principal) is terrible. We have had some issues with that. Also, this year neither of my kids (6th and 4th grades) have really been challenged in any of their subjects. Both just coasted through math, in particular. Both are gifted students and are in the gifted program, but "fell through the cracks" in terms of math. Still, they score in the 99th percentile for the standardized achievement tests in math and everything else, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily being challenged to learn. I don't know a good way to measure this in a school (if anyone else does, let me know!) So far I am impressed with KY's options for accelerated class options in many subjects.
I absolutely agree that there is certainly more to schools than test scores. In general though, I think that the schools with the very low scores are more revealing about what is truly going on than the schools with the high scores. In other words, stay clear of schools with a 1 or 2 if possible and do your homework with the schools who have a higher score.

On a side note too, I actually lean more towards the schools with a more "middle" ranking score than top. For a variety of reasons, a lot of times these schools are more well rounded.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:51 PM

282 posts, read 951,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia007 View Post
I absolutely agree that there is certainly more to schools than test scores. In general though, I think that the schools with the very low scores are more revealing about what is truly going on than the schools with the high scores. In other words, stay clear of schools with a 1 or 2 if possible and do your homework with the schools who have a higher score.

On a side note too, I actually lean more towards the schools with a more "middle" ranking score than top. For a variety of reasons, a lot of times these schools are more well rounded.
I totallly agree with you. I'm going back and forth about Dunbar for that reason. I am trying to make myself fall in love with Lafayette high school since I love the Stonewall subdivision but Dunbar seems to be more math and science, versus more arts (the magnet program, for one thing) for Lafayette. My kids are definitely math and science and NOT arts (unless baseball and soccer count, LOL). Art and music are not their strong suits. We need lots of upper level math and science opportunities.

Anyway, I totally agree that you should probably stay away from the very low scores, although the very high scores don't always tell the whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or