Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:03 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times

Advertisements

No, you.

Also, if you think Kentucky is bad about sports fanaticism, try the rest of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONXkA7UKrwQ

For a semi-obscure German soccer club.

There are full blown riots in the majority of countries in the world over soccer.

Maybe YOU'RE the boring, uncultured outsider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 07:24 AM

180 posts, read 352,204 times
Go Vandy.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:37 AM

18 posts, read 68,611 times
update: UK isn't #1 anymore and they aren't mature enough to win the tourney...

My wife and I cannot wait to move because of the unbelievable snobbery here.

I have thought about why this place is so snooty and may have an answer. Most people don't think very highly of KY, but there are a lot of students who come from other parts of the country to attend UK. I also believe that there are quite a few graduates who for some reason decide to stay. The college graduate rate in KY alone is something like 30% so these people who graduate truly believe they are above the rest of the KY 'rednecks' Also, Lexington and Louisville receive the majority of the state funding because of their universities, while areas like Hazard are absolutely dirt poor. This provides for the snooty attitude that so many 'outsiders' refer to when discussing Lexington. Also, the fact that KY is traditionally a fairly poor region and the select few in Lexington/Louisville have multi-million dollars horse farms, doesn't help. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:54 PM

You've posted that in like 6 threads which leads me to believe you're either a troll, or an unbelievable idiot.

I've not experienced any snobbery. This area isn't exactly modest, but we have low crime, a decent economy, and all of the urban amenities without the urban price.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:47 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiehler View Post
update: UK isn't #1 anymore and they aren't mature enough to win the tourney...

I have thought about why this place is so snooty and may have an answer. Most people don't think very highly of KY, but there are a lot of students who come from other parts of the country to attend UK. I also believe that there are quite a few graduates who for some reason decide to stay. The college graduate rate in KY alone is something like 30% so these people who graduate truly believe they are above the rest of the KY 'rednecks' Also, Lexington and Louisville receive the majority of the state funding because of their universities, while areas like Hazard are absolutely dirt poor. This provides for the snooty attitude that so many 'outsiders' refer to when discussing Lexington. Also, the fact that KY is traditionally a fairly poor region and the select few in Lexington/Louisville have multi-million dollars horse farms, doesn't help. Just my 2 cents.
Uhhh, where did this come from? Yikes, we can't wait for you to move either. Maybe you're the snobby one?

Old 02-14-2010, 01:21 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiehler View Post

I think you need to lay off the copy/paste button there, dude. Seriously, what the hell?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:45 PM

18 posts, read 68,611 times
Quite the contrary, my wife and I are very modest and do not judge people without cause. We have lived here for 6 years and have seen enough to make such a statement about how 'unwelcome' outsiders are in this snooty community. I was in the military for 4 years and lived in other cities. No place else comes close to the arrogance the people in this town demonstrate. I am from the northeast where southerners have deemed the people as 'rude' Let me tell you, the people up there are not nearly as 'rude' and completely fake as down here in the Lex area. Driving to work each day I take notice in the complete lack of consideration the people here exhibit.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:42 PM

Or maybe you just need to learn how to drive in more aggressive traffic.

If you think drivers in LEX are inconsiderate, I'd hate to see you in DC or Chicago.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:16 PM

10 posts, read 26,677 times
I have to agree with UKUKUK. Stiehler- I understand you are miserable in Lexington. Blogging your frustration is better than posting on Lexington's forum. It took me 2/5 years to like Florida and made myself miserable. Then, I realized I was the only one hurting and decided to venture out and now I love the state minus their Congress and cost of living. Why do you let people bother you and control your happiness? You are responsible for your own happiness, not your society. Make it happen! Oh and btw, Coach Cal is from Pittsburgh and if you believe Pittsburgh doesn't have a fanatic sports society, then you are wrong; they are one of the worst. That is why we love Pittsburgh so much - because everyone can put their differences aside when it comes to their city's team sports. GOLD & BLACK are in all their team's uniform .

Old 11-18-2016, 04:30 PM

776 posts, read 745,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Give it a few years...you'll see.
Still waiting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: