Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 8,396 times

Advertisements

Hi
How are you all?
A while ago I was looking into various states to move to. I'm originally from the UK and currently live in Florida. My family and I are were looking to move to somewhere that has four seasons, not humid, has low crime & friendly people who have time for you. Anyway, it turns out that my husbands work maybe taking us to Kentucky. So, I would like to know everything about what looks like a lovely state.
1. We have 2 small children so need a safe low crime & drug free area (I know these are world wide in certain areas, just need one that isn't)
2. Would like a minimum of 2.5 acre land to build our home on.
3. Close to grocery shopping (short car ride)
4. Prefer quiet area, no hustle & bustle of city life but not miles away in a forest somewhere away from everyone & everything.
5. Cost of living not too high
6. Close to schools for my children when they're a little older.

I think it maybe the Lexington area he maybe working in.

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this & I look forward to responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Keep away from certain parts of the north and east side (avoid Woodhill and 4th through 12th streets like the plague) and you've got your safety. For land, there's a lot out past Todd's, Winchester, etc., Versailles may have some land of your choice. Outer Nicholasville and Wilmore are close and may have land for you, both are peaceful, nice communities to live in if you don't mind a 10-15 minute commute.

For schools, stay away from the Bryan Station district and you're fine. It's nothing like Detroit or Chicago public schools, but I still wouldn't send my kids there. Lexington in general is close to shopping. It is also very cheap.

Look for land in these counties, in general:
Fayette
Jessamine
Madison
Woodford
Clark
Scott
Bourbon

Most importantly, I hope you like this city. It's not my favorite place in the USA, but it's definitely one of the better places to raise a family.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 AM

969 posts, read 2,820,114 times
You may want to let us know how much you're thinking of spending. To get 2.5 acres in Lexington is going to be very expensive compared to the surrounding counties.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM

28 posts, read 77,580 times
If you want some land you may want to consider the surrounding counties to Lexington. The price for land can be considerably less and in most cases the commute to Lexington would be 15 to 30 minutes. The commute to local cities in those counties can be surprisingly short. One minute in the country, next minute in the city. These are not huge metropolisis mind you, but neat little country towns with all the conveniences ie., WalMart, Kroger, restuarants, lots of mom and pop type places, not a building over 5 stories.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:09 PM

10 posts, read 26,686 times
Speaking of someone who has lived in 3 parts of KY now and had recently moved from Orlando, NKY would be less abrasive when it comes to transitioning. There isn't much going on in Central KY. Northern KY is like a mini city next to a large city. If you were to decide to live in Central KY, and a Realtor shows you a BXXX Home ... please look up the complaints on builders, so you don't have to fork out a lot of money repairing, when the home is only 3 years new. It seems like a common practice with this type of a builder to not have all outlets operating, let alone no insulation in the walls. On a positive note, the people are much more nicer here and the spirit of college sports is great.

Good Luck !!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:30 AM

28 posts, read 77,580 times
I dont know what kind of experience fieltriptony had here, but he obviously did not have his home inspected by his own inspector prior to purchasing. Lexington is the best of all worlds and so are the communities around it. We have more restuarants per capita than any other city in the US and we have most all of the major shopping chains here. Our venues for entertainment are a little smaller, but we do have 3 Universities and 5 colleges within a 30 minute drive. There is always something entertaining going on at the University of Kentucky. Their drama department is where Ashley Judd honed her skills as an actress and the music department has some fantastic concerts. Here is the great thing about Lexington, location. We are one hour from Louisville and just a little over one hour from Cincinnatti, two hours from Knoxville, and for a little bit longer drive you can be in Nashville. Anyone who says there is nothing to do in Lexington, just hasn't gotten out and explored our great little town in the center of everything. Don't let Tony scare about something that can happen to anyone who builds a house without having it inspected.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:23 AM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnCollins View Post
We have more restuarants per capita than any other city in the US
I don't think that is true, and if it was 90% are most likely fast food restaurants. Louisville and Dallas, along with many other cities also claim to have the most restaurants per capita in the US.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldtriptonyc View Post
There isn't much going on in Central KY.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,917 times
Quote:
I dont know what kind of experience fieltriptony had here, but he obviously did not have his home inspected by his own inspector prior to purchasing. Lexington is the best of all worlds and so are the communities around it. We have more restuarants per capita than any other city in the US and we have most all of the major shopping chains here. Our venues for entertainment are a little smaller, but we do have 3 Universities and 5 colleges within a 30 minute drive. There is always something entertaining going on at the University of Kentucky. Their drama department is where Ashley Judd honed her skills as an actress and the music department has some fantastic concerts. Here is the great thing about Lexington, location. We are one hour from Louisville and just a little over one hour from Cincinnatti, two hours from Knoxville, and for a little bit longer drive you can be in Nashville. Anyone who says there is nothing to do in Lexington, just hasn't gotten out and explored our great little town in the center of everything. Don't let Tony scare about something that can happen to anyone who builds a house without having it inspected.
"We are a certain hours away from somewhere" is a lousy argument. By that standard, a lot of places in the middle of nowhere would suddenly become shangrila. The underlying implication is that we want to be the other city, but we are not. Wait, at least we are not that far away from it.

Lexington is a decent place to be. But, "best of all worlds", nah, not even close.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 16,136 times
Quote:
I think from what you describe you are looking for you would like it here-- I agree that if you are looking for a little more land the counties around Lexington would be a good place as land tends to be more affordable and more available in tracts under 10 acres. Whatever builder you choose you should be able to hire a home inspector to give you an expert eye on the house and get a Better Business Bureau Report on the builder to give you an idea of how many complaints they have and how they handle them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area