U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 08:00 AM

7 posts, read 13,406 times

Advertisements

Hi - we moved to the area in December and struggled to find a house in an area that went to a good elementary school in our price range. We ended up buying somewhere thinking we'd open enroll (bad idea, I know) and the more I hear now that we are here, I am getting very concerned we are going to be stuck b/c everything is full!

Do any of you know how to go about figuring out which schools to try and get into (my understanding of the process is that we can try to apply to 4 other schools)?? I've researched the schools and read up on most of them, what I can't figure out is how to tell which ones are more likely to have open spots. I called FCPS and they won't really answer that question or provide any direction. Am thinking it may be smart to try and not pick the very best b/c everyone else wants to go there too. We are over in the Chilesburg area - but I don't mind a little bit of a drive.

We can't really afford private schools, but if anyone has recommendations on private schools that aren't quite as expensive as the ones I mainly see on here I'd like to hear those too.

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 02:17 PM

969 posts, read 2,607,419 times
If you can provide transportation, how about a magnet school like Dixie? Maxwell is a great school, but hard to get into, especially if your kid is beyond kindergarden.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 PM

7 posts, read 13,406 times
Thanks for the suggestion. We are going to apply late to Dixie - we missed the cutoff though so will be last on the priority list. For this year Maxwell is closed to any more applications. I never realized getting into elementary school could be such a challenge!

Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 AM

28 posts, read 73,789 times
I too live in Chilesburg, but we are grandfathered in to ACE as a primary school. It is a bit confusing that you live within walking distance of such a nice new school, but it isn't your primary so you are not automatically in. The year before last there were extra spots and this year there were not enough. This is because they are bussing in students from other areas and bussing our neighborhood to another as well. Your best bet is to apply to the school early, get on the waiting list and tough it out. I know people who have been accepted and I also know a few that have been rejected. I don't know if it is feasible to apply to more than one, but it would seem better to not put all of your eggs in one basket. A principal once told us that they do look at the past performance of a student and if their grades are going to help the school they have a better chance of getting in from out of district. If you want to know more about the schools try the school info button on my website www.kyrealestateforsale.com . This company ranks all of the schools in the nation and allows you a third party opinion of how each performs. Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,656 times
I do not think that FCPS really allows this. If you look on their website it will tell you where you are supposed to go. There are only a very few ways to not go to your assigned school. You can pull up the request form online. Mostly it is because of Title 1, grandfathering, or a parent working at a school.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 AM

You have one primary and four alternates. You can apply to any of them. The magnet schools I think are by invitation, could be wrong on that, our middle child got an invitation. They can't force you to go to a failing school.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 AM

969 posts, read 2,607,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreesiaE View Post
I do not think that FCPS really allows this. If you look on their website it will tell you where you are supposed to go. There are only a very few ways to not go to your assigned school. You can pull up the request form online. Mostly it is because of Title 1, grandfathering, or a parent working at a school.

Thanks for checking the website. We all have our opinions, or have heard of people doing this or that, but the school board is the real souce for an answer. Their site is Home : Fayette County Public Schools | Lexington, Kentucky | It's About Kids!

Best of luck!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:00 AM

Try this link FCPS Street Directory . Put in your address and it should give you your primary and the alternates.
For more details on what neighborhoods go to which schools try this one Continuation Plan .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area