U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:55 PM

88 posts, read 368,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
Our family is officially in love with Lexington. We want to live in the city and love the influence of UK, the unbelievable horse farms, the beauty of the KY Horse Park and Keeneland in the AM when they exercise the horses. The real estate is all within reach of a modest budget that will allow us to spend our money on other things like travel!

What a beautiful place. We are home now and are making the hard decisions about what to do to prepare our house here for sale and wondering how long a transition it will be for us.

Thanks for everyone's input.

As we have more questions, I will be posting more!

Micah Girl soon to be Micah Girl of Lexington, KY
Micah Girl, offer some more specifics of what it is that you are looking when you move to the Lexington area. You can even offer more specifics of what you liked about the city--restaurants, stores, parks, etc. I can, in all seriousness, give you the advantages and disadvantages of making a life in the Lex. area, areas to move to, the best schools and school systems, recreational opportunities, etc. Although I think Lou. is 10X better, I respect a person that already has their mind made up and is certain of what is best for them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 01:27 PM

458 posts, read 2,196,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
So glad you like it! Did you get to go to the farmer's market? Even if you aren't looking for produce it is quite fun.
Just wait until the October meet at Keeneland. It is so much fun. We like to think of the program as math for our son
Didn't make it to the Farmers' Market, but plan to make that a regular haunt!

Old 05-31-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Micah Girl, I am so happy for you. I wish we had gone to Keeneland. Tell me what neighborhoods you liked the best. In what ways did you see the Univ impacting on the city?

While we liked Lexington, we are not as sure as you are. Still undecided. We want to check out a few more places (Charleston, Wilmington, NC, Athens, GA) before we make our decision.
We liked many neighborhoods, but especially those around Southland, sort of near the University, but economical.

I think the University impact in part has to do with the fact that I would study there and my DH was as much as offered at job at the University of KY Medical Center. Also the Arboretum!! How beautiful!

Old 05-31-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Did you go to the library? That was probably our favorite place in Lexington.
TWICE! We are library rats. (Also homeschoolers so my kids would rather go to the library than the mall.)

Old 05-31-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Glad you liked it! Were you able to narrow down your housing choices yet? Or do you still have some time?
We have time because we will rent when we arrive to make sure we know for sure what neighborhood we want.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovintexas View Post
Micah Girl, offer some more specifics of what it is that you are looking when you move to the Lexington area. You can even offer more specifics of what you liked about the city--restaurants, stores, parks, etc. I can, in all seriousness, give you the advantages and disadvantages of making a life in the Lex. area, areas to move to, the best schools and school systems, recreational opportunities, etc. Although I think Lou. is 10X better, I respect a person that already has their mind made up and is certain of what is best for them.
Louisville is a VERY COOL city--but too big for my husband and also has no interesting doctoral programs for me. The University of KY is my best educational oppty in the state.

I love the easy way traffic flows--I know to some people it's "big city" traffic but I have experience driving in the Greater Boston area. Ugh.

I am interested in what affordable "entry level" neighborhoods (under 200K, older construction, 4BR house) have good school systems. I heard that around Southland was good, but what others. I like some of the homes off of Liberty Road, but think that maybe that school system isn't so hot.

We would also like to be close to the Arboretum if we can find an affordable and quiet neighborhood...

Old 05-31-2007, 01:43 PM

891 posts, read 2,883,934 times
Glendover is your best bet around the Arboretum to find the house you want for the price you want. There are still a few houses there under $200k.
There is a new elementary school off of Liberty Rd that is slated to open fall of 2008. However, I don't know which middle and high school Liberty Rd falls into.
Southland is a great area too. Close to everything yet tucked away at the same time.
Good luck.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:46 PM

6,988 posts, read 15,117,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
Louisville is a VERY COOL city--but too big for my husband and also has no interesting doctoral programs for me. The University of KY is my best educational oppty in the state.

I love the easy way traffic flows--I know to some people it's "big city" traffic but I have experience driving in the Greater Boston area. Ugh.

I am interested in what affordable "entry level" neighborhoods (under 200K, older construction, 4BR house) have good school systems. I heard that around Southland was good, but what others. I like some of the homes off of Liberty Road, but think that maybe that school system isn't so hot.

We would also like to be close to the Arboretum if we can find an affordable and quiet neighborhood...

You are correct. UK is the best public school in the state, although that is largely due to discrepencies in funding. It's a long story, but basically the state has said UK should be the state's flagship, and Louisville the "urban university." What I do not get is why can't a state with 4.5 million people have two flagship colleges (ones with goals of being ranked top 50 every year?) That is fine, but the state needs to give more funding to UofL. I am glad you like Lexington, and I agree it feels like a much smaller town than Louisville, but there is still a good amount going on. I'll stop my rant on university funding now

Old 05-31-2007, 03:24 PM

16 posts, read 67,278 times
I am so glad to hear how much you like Lexington! We may be moving to the area, too. I know it is a beautiful place and safe. I keep hearing about traffic-what did you think? What are the neighborhoods you like?
Someone else mentioned how great the library is - I would love to hear about it.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:26 PM

109 posts, read 779,475 times
Cool Peach?

Quote:
You sound like a peach. Don't waste your energy feeling sorry for her. In my opinion, Lexington was overall a nicer place. To each his own.
Hey Gimmie it...he sounds more like a 'prune'. I guess everyone does have an opinion, but they don't have to be so negative.

God bless.

Joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area