U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:30 PM

458 posts, read 2,195,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millrock View Post
I am so glad to hear how much you like Lexington! We may be moving to the area, too. I know it is a beautiful place and safe. I keep hearing about traffic-what did you think? What are the neighborhoods you like?
Someone else mentioned how great the library is - I would love to hear about it.

The library has a beautiful ceiling clock Lexington Public Library - Ceiling Clock & Foucault Pendulum (http://www.lexpublib.org/pendulum/clock.cfm - broken link)
and pendulum with horses--really unusual.

It also has a cafe on the ground floor which I didn't try but looked nice.

Traffic is busy but it moves very efficiently. Sometimes you have to wait a while for a light near heavy shopping areas, but you know that you are going to be able to go eventually. It is not really "big city" traffic like I am used to.

I liked many neighborhoods in the Southern part of the city and near the University.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 AM

31 posts, read 127,161 times
I'm glad you liked it! I'm spoiled as far as traffic goes, because when I was a kid it was so much slower! Nicholasville Road was only 2 lanes each way! :O it gets backed up a bit around rush hour, especially the 5 o'clock rush hour, but during the day it's very calm.

that is a sweet library we have downtown; just so you know there are many libraries in town which are all linked together. you can have books from one location sent to the one nearest you for you to check out there, and you can return books to any location. a lot of stuff can be done online as well: pretty much everything except actually picking up the books. if you like going to the library for fun, though, the downtown one is definitely the place to go!

we've been over the neighborhoods so many times already :P and when it gets into specifics on buying a house, I really have no experience. but, I can help you by telling you that when you rent, it's possible to get a six-month lease or a month-to-month lease, so when you are ready to move into your house, you won't have long to wait. on a month-to-month lease, you only need to give a 30-day notice to your landlord before you vacate. most people want a 12-month lease, so just giving you a head's up!

Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 AM

88 posts, read 368,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
Louisville is a VERY COOL city--but too big for my husband and also has no interesting doctoral programs for me. The University of KY is my best educational oppty in the state.

I love the easy way traffic flows--I know to some people it's "big city" traffic but I have experience driving in the Greater Boston area. Ugh.

I am interested in what affordable "entry level" neighborhoods (under 200K, older construction, 4BR house) have good school systems. I heard that around Southland was good, but what others. I like some of the homes off of Liberty Road, but think that maybe that school system isn't so hot.

We would also like to be close to the Arboretum if we can find an affordable and quiet neighborhood...

I don't know the specific names of many neighborhoods around Lexington. Southland isn't that great. Check out the neighborhoods from Nicholasville Road/South Limestone in the west to Richmond Road/East Main in the east, and Avenue of Champions in the north to New Circle Road in the south (this forms an approximate trapezoidal figure.) The absolute SAFEST areas are outside New Circle. However, this area isn't particularly unsafe, either; there are some property crimes, but very little in the way of murders and rapes. You're also still close to the Arboretum.

If you want more information about nightlife, entertainment, shopping, and parks and recreation, ask away and I'll do my best to answer them. I'm more familiar with visiting Lexington rather than living there (b/c I've never lived there.)

Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 AM

891 posts, read 2,882,174 times
Maybe, maybe not. I've lived inside the circle my entire life and have somehow avoided any run ins with criminal activity! My husband's business has been dowtown since the 1950's (his family bought it in the 1970's). They've never had one problem. I think a lot of people have preconceived ideas about areas without having first hand knowledge of them.
I think Southland is charming. They aren't the biggest houses but the area is well maintained and residents can walk to many shops on Southland Dr.
PS-I have lived in Lexington all of my 40+ years.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I've lived inside the circle my entire life and have somehow avoided any run ins with criminal activity! My husband's business has been dowtown since the 1950's (his family bought it in the 1970's). They've never had one problem. I think a lot of people have preconceived ideas about areas without having first hand knowledge of them.
I think Southland is charming. They aren't the biggest houses but the area is well maintained and residents can walk to many shops on Southland Dr.
PS-I have lived in Lexington all of my 40+ years.
One of the things that I liked about Lexington is that it seems to me that the "bad areas" are pretty obvious and easy to avoid... In some cities it's harder to tell, I think. I look forward to living in the city as a renter to get a real feel for areas. In a visit it's hard to tell what a neighborhood is really, really like. That's why I am thrilled that we aren't pressuring ourselves to buy immediately.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:13 PM

688 posts, read 2,881,030 times
I agree - renting first is probably the best idea if you can manage it. Have you chosen a rental property? Ball Homes actually has a lot of duplexes and homes for rent, and there are have been a ton in the classifieds.

I like the Southland area. Sure, there are some streets that aren't as nice as others, but the homes are relatively affordable and many have been well-maintained. Some (like many older neighborhoods) need some updating, but it is a great central location. And, I also love the shopping area with the mom and pop stores and local restaurants. The food co-op there has a great selection of natural and organic foods, with a cafe for lunch and coffee, and there is a pretty good German restaurant, Marikka's, that boasts a huge beer list.

I would avoid the areas right around the train tracks, mostly for noise.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
I agree - renting first is probably the best idea if you can manage it. Have you chosen a rental property? Ball Homes actually has a lot of duplexes and homes for rent, and there are have been a ton in the classifieds.

I like the Southland area. Sure, there are some streets that aren't as nice as others, but the homes are relatively affordable and many have been well-maintained. Some (like many older neighborhoods) need some updating, but it is a great central location. And, I also love the shopping area with the mom and pop stores and local restaurants. The food co-op there has a great selection of natural and organic foods, with a cafe for lunch and coffee, and there is a pretty good German restaurant, Marikka's, that boasts a huge beer list.

I would avoid the areas right around the train tracks, mostly for noise.
The shopping area sounds great and a food co-op is cool. I did notice Marikka's, but wasn't quite sure what it was...

Old 06-01-2007, 12:43 PM

88 posts, read 368,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
One of the things that I liked about Lexington is that it seems to me that the "bad areas" are pretty obvious and easy to avoid... In some cities it's harder to tell, I think. I look forward to living in the city as a renter to get a real feel for areas. In a visit it's hard to tell what a neighborhood is really, really like. That's why I am thrilled that we aren't pressuring ourselves to buy immediately.
The larger Lexington becomes, the more that nice-looking areas become blended with areas that are infiltrated with crime. Like I said previously, most of the crimes (in south Lexington) involve property. There is an increasing number of robberies citywide, unfortunately. The murders and rapes are primarily confined to north and west Lexington, as well as UK's campus and neighborhoods immediately surrounding it.

Take your time, and looked very scroutinously and selectively at neighborhoods that meet your criteria. Lexington is full of beautiful neighborhoods that are close to great bars, small but beautiful parks, and "spittin'" distance from some of America's most historic homes and buildings.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovintexas View Post
The larger Lexington becomes, the more that nice-looking areas become blended with areas that are infiltrated with crime. Like I said previously, most of the crimes (in south Lexington) involve property. There is an increasing number of robberies citywide, unfortunately. The murders and rapes are primarily confined to north and west Lexington, as well as UK's campus and neighborhoods immediately surrounding it.

Take your time, and looked very scroutinously and selectively at neighborhoods that meet your criteria. Lexington is full of beautiful neighborhoods that are close to great bars, small but beautiful parks, and "spittin'" distance from some of America's most historic homes and buildings.
Thanks for the advice. When we are in the city (or at least closer to being in the city) I will be looking for even more advice and very specific!

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:43 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,417,795 times
Lovintexas-very conflicting messages. Lots of rape and murder by the university, but nice parks,etc. I think many people will disagree with you regarding the crime situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area