U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 AM

23 posts, read 85,271 times

Advertisements

Hi All-- My wife and I are looking into moving to Lexington within the next couple of months, and I was wondering how the job situation is?

I will eventually be seeking employment as an English teacher, but to get us rolling I'm looking for any work I can find.

I've been in the restaurant industry for about eight years, serving tables and bartending; are there some good restaurants in Lexington that I'd be able to apply at?

Also, how does the University effect the job situation? I know UK has a pretty good size student body, so I'm assuming that when summer vacation starts there are fewer jobs. What I'm wondering is if it is a major factor in being able to find employment?

We will probably be living in the Jonestown area, so I would prefer to stay close; however, I will commute if needs be.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 09:53 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,582,802 times
Actually, a lot of positions open up because many students go away for summer. Look into Toyota, JIF, Amazon, Lexmark, UPS, Georgia-Pacific etc. for some good playing jobs. With a college degree you should have no trouble finding decent work, even up to 15-20$/hr for a short time.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:31 AM

822 posts, read 2,741,196 times
I need to ask the previous poster for advice. I just know a ton of educated people who can't find anything in Lexington - I keep hearing stories of 60+ applications for every job opening (even 200+).

But, I have seen postings for restaurants, so someone with special skills (i.e. bartending) might be OK; I know they are hiring at Merrick Inn for the summer season which would be lucrative. It's just the office work, even working in retail or at Speedway, that seems really tough based on ... tons of people I know.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Office work shouldn't be too bad. My mom has the equivalent of a high school education and got the first job she applied for. This was fairly recent, as well.

If you can't find anything in Lexington, Georgetown, Nicholasville, and Versailles all have decent job bases. As a previous factory worker in N-Ville who returns to visit friends and old coworkers from time to time, I can tell you that business is definitely picking up!

Check out Randstadt (or something like that, not too sure on the spelling) temp service. They'll set you up with a good job if you can't find anything elsewhere, as a lot of places prefer applicants that go through them or ONLY hire from them. That's how the first shift at my old job was assembled.

From what I know ACS, Amazon, and UPS are ALWAYS hiring and pay over 10$/hr

Old 04-11-2010, 11:31 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,341,460 times
You're gonna be an English teacher? Explain the effect-affect thing.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:43 PM

822 posts, read 2,741,196 times
thanks UKUKUK, I'll have to keep picking your brain. My resume may look too specialized, I don't know. I even applied to Insight and received an email saying they hired someone more "quailfied" (sic). If they had hired me, I could help them with spelling for their rejection letters!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You're gonna be an English teacher? Explain the effect-affect thing.
Affected. Are jobs affected by the university? Happy?

Next time, save your post if you're just going to point out my grammatical errors. Even English teachers slip up every now and then.

Thanks for the info UKUKUK; I appreciate it! I'll be sure to look into some of those places you mentioned, as I would prefer to get out of the restaurant business entirely. I will work in a restaurant if nothing else presents itself, though.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdseeger1 View Post

Next time, save your post if you're just going to point out my grammatical errors. Even English teachers slip up every now and then.

Thanks for the info UKUKUK; I appreciate it! I'll be sure to look into some of those places you mentioned, as I would prefer to get out of the restaurant business entirely. I will work in a restaurant if nothing else presents itself, though.
Amen to the slipping up thing. I am a geography major and slip up on places and locations ALL THE TIME! :P

On that note, the factories and industrial opportunities pay quite well in almost every case. They offer good benefits and usually give you the chance to work with some interesting characters to say the least. As for warehouse jobs, they don't pay as good as factory work, but can be enjoyable nonetheless if you're the kind who enjoys lugging stuff. I oddly found working in a warehouse, for the short time I did it, quite enjoyable. It's a great way to get exercise!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:36 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,341,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdseeger1 View Post

Yes, I wasn't so sure myself.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 04-13-2010 at 08:55 AM..

Old 04-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yes, I wasn't so sure myself.
Sorry Irishtom29; I thought you were being cynical/sarcastic. It really just depends on the situation for effect/affect. It requires to lengthy of a grammar lesson to post here, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area