Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 13,899 times

Advertisements

My husband will be at University of Kentucky next fall. We have four kids and will be in public schools--good schools are huge! We are looking for a home around 250K, but also want it to be in an area that will have good resale value in about 7 years. We want a little space and after looking around, it looks like we will have to go out a bit and have been looking in the Nicholasville or Georgetown. I am worried about how long it will take for my husband to commute to school. Any pro's or con's for those areas? Also, anyone know how long the commute will take from either area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 08:04 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Move to the city halfway b/t Nicholasville and Georgetown: Lexington!

Not kidding, either. You can still find plenty of semi-rural and very rural areas in Fayette County if you want to "get away from it all." His commute into UK will be easier if you all live in, for example, Andover, Beaumont Centre, Kirklevington, or Southland. Even in traffic, it is still about 20-25 minutes to UK from these places, whereas it would probably be 40-45 minutes if you all lived in an exurb.

Sure, property values might be a smidgen higher in Fayette Co. than the suburban and exurban counties, but the property taxes are generally lower. Plus, the public services provided are generally better--road quality, parks, cleanliness, etc.

That said, Lexington's parks system is well-maintained for what it has. But, I actually find the park systems in Frankfort, a town 1/10 to 1/12 Lexington's size, much better maintained and with more character than Lexington's parks. Raven Run, on the Kentucky River, is a great place for a day trip and to hike down to the river.

As for public schools, well...it IS Central Kentucky, and "good public schools" and "Central Kentucky" aren't exactly synonomous. (Yes, I know this pisses plenty of Lexington supporters, but I strongly stand by my assertion.) Still, Lexington does have the best schools in Central Kentucky, and the reason I mentioned the neighborhoods I mentioned was for, in addition to proximity to UK, the better quality of the schools. I dare say that your kids might seriously become dumber over time if you enroll them in Jessamine County (Nicholasville), Scott County (Georgetown) or other area school systems (Anderson Co., Clark Co., Madison Co., even Woodford Co. isn't that great.) Ultimately, the best public school in CKY is a very small system/school called Model Lab in Richmond; it's 45 minutes from UK's campus, but you and your hubby might still want to check it out.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the input...Why such a long commute from Nicholasville or Georgetown? Is it always a 45 minute commute?

Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 PM

It's a long commute from Nicholasville because of the traffic volume into south Lexington using Nicholasville or Harrodsburg Roads. He could take Brannon Road as a feasible shortcut over to Tates Creek Road...feasible, that is, until you consider that Brannon is two lanes, narrow, curvy, hilly, and dangerous.

Georgetown would be a long, but not as bad, commute just because of the design of Lexington's road system on its northside. He has to navigate multiple roads just to get to UK's campus, and once he gets to Limestone St. the traffic volume can be nothing but foul at 7:30/8:00am. Although the Newtown Pike extension, when finished, will make UK's campus more easily accessible from I-75 exit 115.

Trust me, just live in Lexington!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Move to the city halfway b/t Nicholasville and Georgetown: Lexington!

Not kidding, either. You can still find plenty of semi-rural and very rural areas in Fayette County if you want to "get away from it all." His commute into UK will be easier if you all live in, for example, Andover, Beaumont Centre, Kirklevington, or Southland. Even in traffic, it is still about 20-25 minutes to UK from these places, whereas it would probably be 40-45 minutes if you all lived in an exurb.

Sure, property values might be a smidgen higher in Fayette Co. than the suburban and exurban counties, but the property taxes are generally lower. Plus, the public services provided are generally better--road quality, parks, cleanliness, etc.

That said, Lexington's parks system is well-maintained for what it has. But, I actually find the park systems in Frankfort, a town 1/10 to 1/12 Lexington's size, much better maintained and with more character than Lexington's parks. Raven Run, on the Kentucky River, is a great place for a day trip and to hike down to the river.

As for public schools, well...it IS Central Kentucky, and "good public schools" and "Central Kentucky" aren't exactly synonomous. (Yes, I know this pisses plenty of Lexington supporters, but I strongly stand by my assertion.) Still, Lexington does have the best schools in Central Kentucky, and the reason I mentioned the neighborhoods I mentioned was for, in addition to proximity to UK, the better quality of the schools. I dare say that your kids might seriously become dumber over time if you enroll them in Jessamine County (Nicholasville), Scott County (Georgetown) or other area school systems (Anderson Co., Clark Co., Madison Co., even Woodford Co. isn't that great.) Ultimately, the best public school in CKY is a very small system/school called Model Lab in Richmond; it's 45 minutes from UK's campus, but you and your hubby might still want to check it out.
That should be "aren't" rather than "isn't".

My Kentucky publik edshucashun sliuhpped out awn mee thur.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:15 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,613 times
Are you wanting to be in a rural area, or just want a big lot? If you could, I'd stay in Lexington. Tell us a little more about what your ideal place would be like and we can suggest neighborhoods.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:10 PM

We are wanting a little more privacy...that is close to elementary schools.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,613 times
If you don't mind an older house, you can get about a half an acre lot in Stonewall Subdivision, which is in SW Lex. The Elementary school is also called Stonewall and is right in the neighborhood.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:22 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,426 times
I would strongly recommend living in Lexington. From what I can tell Lexington public schools are very good for a city its size, and the commute time for your husband will be much better if you live in Lexington. There are plenty of places in Lexington that are away from the center of the city with large lots and privacy. Most of the places that people live in Georgetown or Nicolasville are typical suburban subdivisions without any distinguishing features. Of course, there are plenty of places like that in Lexingto as well, but if you're going to live in one of those places then you might as well be close to work and have better schools.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:05 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
I'm a student and commute from Nicholasville to Lex everyday.

Traffic isn't as bad as it's made out to be and the drive is 15-20 minutes at the very worst, more often closer to 10. I live near the south end of town, close to highway 27. 250K will buy you a LOT in Nicholasville. Crime isn't bad at all, our neighborhood is fairly quiet, we got a 1300 sq ft house for just over 100k in a nice subdivision.

It kinda sucks having to make the drive, but it's also a big money saver compared to Lex. East Jessamine is a decent school, lacking in the math and sciences but with a lot of electives. The elementary schools are great.

Most important of all... GOOD LUCK! Hope you like the 859!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area