Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:59 AM

9 posts, read 33,523 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone -

Me and my husband are taking a weekend trip to Lexington at the end of May. We are coming from northern Michigan. What are some points of interest we should check out? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We are thinking about re-locating to the area in the fall of this year. We are in our 20's with no kids, so schools are not a concern right now. I don't have a job lined up yet but will be working in health care. Are there any "bad" areas to avoid in Lexington or around it? I would like to be able to blend in with everyone so I was thinking we should live in the city or just outside of it. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, lol. I was looking at Richmond, or Salyersville, or something on the outskirts. I don't want much more than a half hour commute. I like the country feel more than the city, but like the convenience of the city nearby. We would be renting... no more than $800 per month.

Also... are newbies to the state welcomed easily? Is there a good mix of different people living in KY?

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 04:39 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times
Salyersville and Richmond are more than a half hour from the most important parts of the Lexington metro. I'd aim for Versailles, Georgetown, or Nicholasville.

As for bad areas, avoid some of the neighborhoods in the north and east sides. You'll be able to tell what they are when you see them. Woodhill is kinda bad, as are 3rd through 12th street, but nothing near what you'd find in Detroit.

I'll trade you a room in my parents' place for yours in NoMi :P

Old 04-09-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Salyersville and Richmond are more than a half hour from the most important parts of the Lexington metro. I'd aim for Versailles, Georgetown, or Nicholasville.

As for bad areas, avoid some of the neighborhoods in the north and east sides. You'll be able to tell what they are when you see them. Woodhill is kinda bad, as are 3rd through 12th street, but nothing near what you'd find in Detroit.

I'll trade you a room in my parents' place for yours in NoMi :P

LOL... come and enjoy the snow we just got yesterday... ! I am ready to get rid of the 150 inch+ snowy winters and cold weather and come to the warm south.

How does KY compare to MI for you?

Old 04-09-2010, 06:04 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
Well, country feel is hard to find, affordably, in Lexington but you will find a much more diverse population in Lex than you will in the surrounding towns. Choose which is more important to you. If country feel is then go with a surorunding town. If you want to blend in then consider Lex. imo-Versailles is a bit nicer than the other towns. Nicholasville; not my favorite.
What do you like to do?
Avoid the north end of Lex (I grew up there so I can say this).
You will find no problem finding a job in the health care field here.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
Well, country feel is hard to find, affordably, in Lexington but you will find a much more diverse population in Lex than you will in the surrounding towns. Choose which is more important to you. If country feel is then go with a surorunding town. If you want to blend in then consider Lex. imo-Versailles is a bit nicer than the other towns. Nicholasville; not my favorite.
What do you like to do?
Avoid the north end of Lex (I grew up there so I can say this).
You will find no problem finding a job in the health care field here.
Just curious- what don't you like about Nicholasville?

Me and my husband like to do outdoor things like fishing, hiking, etc. Not much for any type of nightlife. We like to experience the local cuisine, too

I'm not positive yet where my job would be located, but I am trying to feel out what the area is like

Old 04-10-2010, 08:05 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Richmond is a dump. Salyersville is two hours from Lexington and even dumpier.

If you want to live on Lexington's outskirts, consider Wilmore, Frankfort, or, even though it is 35-38 miles, Danville.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellie816 View Post
LOL... come and enjoy the snow we just got yesterday... ! I am ready to get rid of the 150 inch+ snowy winters and cold weather and come to the warm south.

How does KY compare to MI for you?
MI is much better for outdoorsy activities, shopping, etc. IMO

I really like the people more and the way towns are laid out for sure in MI

We have cold winters too. It dips below 0 from time to time, and we still get snow.

If you want WARM south aim for south Texas or GA/FL

Our winters hover around 33 degrees. Everything dies, people get edgy, and it rains nonstop creating a massive frozen mudpit.

KY winters are far less enjoyable than MI winters

Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
MI is much better for outdoorsy activities, shopping, etc. IMO
Wow, you gave me a laugh there....

Outdoorsy in Michigan? For what, 2 months out of the year? The rest of the time it's snowing there....

Old 04-10-2010, 02:22 PM

You've never been to Michigan, have you?

I'm up there 2-4 times a month and NEVER is the temperature more than 5-10 degrees lower (then again I usually arrive from 4-8PM), sometimes it's even warmer.

That goes for Detroit to Gaylord

Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Wow, you gave me a laugh there....

Outdoorsy in Michigan? For what, 2 months out of the year? The rest of the time it's snowing there....
Thanks again for the laugh of the day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area