U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:44 AM

10,323 posts, read 21,867,773 times

Advertisements

New BCTC campus offers huge potential - John Clay - Kentucky.com

Sorry this was in the news a few months back. ^ I do not buy the bull crap in the Harold Leader article: the Eastern State Hospital location is in a dangerous part of Lexington - a horrible place to have several thousand 19 yr olds congregated as easy crime victims.

This is simply UK getting land greedy as they want to expand enrollment but are stuck in the middle of a crowded city. Kicking BCTC off Cooper Drive just because they are no longer part of UK is childish and unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:37 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,582,802 times
Not really. The campus will bring new life to the north side and encourage younger adults going back to college as well as CC students fresh out of school to patronize businesses and live in the area.

Look at what UK did for the south side of downtown as it grew!

Plus, they're considering mass transit for that area of the city which could surely expand. This could be a major boost to something Lexington would benefit greatly off of - park & ride light rail!

A train from the bedroom communities to Fayette Mall, to Lexington Green, to campus, downtown, BCTC, etc., would be awesome!

Maybe I'm just dreaming :P

...But the new BCTC campus will breathe life back into the north side, surely. I'm glad to see they're building an urban style campus rather than working with the sprawling configuration of parking lots they have now.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:49 AM

2,076 posts, read 6,167,918 times
Transy is not all that far from there, and the back side of campus borders on some pretty rough neighborhoods. I agree, an urban style campus on the northside of town could do wonders. This could really revitalize the north side to have BCTC and Transy both on that side of town.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 AM

10,323 posts, read 21,867,773 times
If the heart of the Northside ghetto would benefit so much from a college then why doesn't UK move one of their departments there? As far as that goes why is the area around Transylvania still high crime if colleges are the way to improve an area?

This "project" is nothing more than an egotistical land grab by UK that will tremendously hurt BCTC while doing nothing to improve an awful part of Lexington. Let's go ahead and make bets on how many BCTC students will be robbed, raped, even murdered per year once they move.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 AM

Because UK isn't a commuter school.

Also, BCTC doesn't have as many night classes as UK does, and parking isn't 1-2 miles from the classroom buildings.

Also, Transylvania isn't a public university and doesn't do the same kind of community outreach the other two do.

Butthurt BCTC student who can't stand the idea of having to take Limestone north for a few extra blocks in the morning?

High crime areas in Lexington really aren't even that "high crime". If you use common sense and stay away from drug dealing/domestic disputes, 99% of your crime problems are gone.

AKA if you're a hot blonde, don't dress like a skimpy ***** and get into a stranger's car. Common sense keeps you out of all but the most extreme of situations, ESPECIALLY in Lexington.

It will transform the kind of people who live in those neighborhoods north of downtown and pump money into businesses, thus attracting more businesses to the area.

God forbid Lexington ever expand (in a positive way rather than just by tacking on another 50 subdivisions) or improve. Change is bad.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 PM

2,076 posts, read 6,167,918 times
1) The president of BCTC seems excited about the possibilities.
2) The "high crime" parts of Lexington still really aren't that bad. Transy backs up to a bad neighborhood. How many Transy students have been killed or raped? I guarantee a girl at any college is a lot more likely to be raped in a dorm room on campus than in some back alley.
3) It is UKs land, BCTC is not part of UK anymore, so it is UKs perogative to use that land as they see fit.

To me it is a win-win for all. UK expands without eating up any more land or building a new building. Eastern Hospital gets a new facility. BCTC gets to design a brand new campus from scratch to fit their students needs. Lexington wins by redeveloping 65 acres in a run down part of town without encroaching on more greenspace.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Now if only they'd fix the freaking parking!

Convert the blue and red lots to multi-story-garages, build taller classroom buildings where BCTC currently stands.

With the 10 minute window between classes for many undergrads, UK needs to really keep campus dense and build up rather than out.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:44 PM

898 posts, read 1,667,125 times
First off, there is no "high crime" area in Lexington. There are higher crime areas, but the worst areas of Lexington are a virtual paradise compared to most cities' rough sections. Secondly, this is not UK kicking BCTC out. For BCTC this is ideal because it gives them their own campus and own identity. 19,000 students in that part of town WILL transform that neighborhood and lead to investment in the area. This will make Lexington more urban, more dense, more attractive, and more sustainable. I love the development.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,224 times
I myself am a BCTC student and personally wish they had already had this project finished before I started there because parking is a joke at UK and they can keep that old build and their students can pay $250 a year to park and drive on bumpy cracked up parking lots. And UK claims to be a non-profit organization??? Really where is all that money going? there are 20,000 BCTC students paying UK for parking passes per year. I think UK should donate that money to the future of BCTC.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 AM

62 posts, read 137,902 times
I think this is a great idea, Eastern state needs to be redevloped and bring life to the northside. The newtown pike extension is great and the arts district they are trying to create on manchester will hopefully be a success. The location will place BCTC in the heart of an area that needs greater education, espeically for adults in that area. It is a large piece of prime real estate and the North side needs a makeover. Not sure what UK will use the old BCTC building for but they certainly are expanding, the medical campus is like a miniature city unto itself! I hope they do double enrollment at BCTC, and I hope they take this opportunity and design it correctly. Without re-educating our workforce for the future will continue to lose jobs overseas, and those who lost those jobs need to be retrained. Georgetown rd. and northside are definatel yhigher crime areas in Lex, but as previously pointed out nothing like "war zones" in bigger cities, and hopefully this redevlopment can help to change that and get this area headed in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area