Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times

Advertisements

I am posting this to inform other parents that have children playing on school athletic teams in the FCPS system. I am sure those that do are aware of the requirement to pay a mandatory athletic insurance premium in order for the their child to play on the school team. While I am glad such a provision has been made, I have to balk at the mandatory aspect of it. And not to mention that for each school the premium rate can vary from school to school, even though the same sports exist throughout the system.

In my particular case, this mandatory insurance is of no benefit to me. In my understanding of this, this coverage is for "in excess" and the athletes must first use their primary coverage first and then the districts insurance policy will take over at a certain cap point. In this instance, my insurance company does not have any caps and in the event my child should be catastrophically(which is the word FCPS uses)injured my primary insurance will continue to cover the injury and will not have the need to even use the mandatory insurance. So basically, I am paying for two insurance policies and I only need one.

For those that are interested in this draconian policy set forth by the FCPS I recommend those parents that have children playing on FCPS sports teams to verify with their insurance companies to see if in fact you have sufficient insurance coverage as well. Otherwise, you could be paying for something that you absolutely do not need.

If not for anything else, the school system is there to teach, not to dictate to the parents what they do and do not need to buy. Its just another example of government agencies butting into peoples lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area