U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 17,185 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting some information on the subdivision Gleneagles out by Hamburg. We're considering buying out there. The only issue has to do with the apartment complex at the enterance of the subdivision. We have heard it could affect home values. I guess I'm asking how much of an influence does/will the apartments have on this subdivision now and in the future? I know they are section 8 approved but that doesn't mean all the tenants are section 8. I've searched the forum and have found some threads discussing them but I'm wanting to know a little more. We had generally heard the Hamburg area was a good place, so we were a little shocked to find out there could be a potential issue with it. Also, do these apartments pose a safety issue (crimes)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 AM

482 posts, read 708,985 times
Hi,

I lived in Gleneagles a few years ago. Part of the reason we moved was due to the apartments being built. At first they were suppose to be luxury type apartments but I believe the builder ran out of money. Anyway I do think it will affect home value. Maybe not as much if your on the lower end of the home values there. They have also built a Rite Aid and a new Bank at the enterance of the subdivision. (As if the gas station wasn't enough). I am not sure about you but seeing these businesses at the main enterance of a subdivision is a big turn-off. There was also talk of them building other things like a Kentucky Utilities substation and also a Hospital across the street from the enterance. Definately do your research before you buy. Try and find a neighborhood that is more developed.

Hamburg is a nice place and you won't find a lot of crime. Right now the apartment complex is still new. My concern was more about what kind of shape would these apartments be in 5-10 years from now?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:09 AM

482 posts, read 708,985 times
also

you can lookup crimes by sudvisions, time frames, etc here Citizen's Crime Watch Home Page

Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 AM

969 posts, read 2,511,874 times
I just sold a friend of mine a house on Royal Troon. I think Gleneagles is fine if you will be spending under $200k. I might also try to be further away from the apartments. Right now, the crime seems pretty low, but if there is ever a problem again you will see the values go down on the streets right around it (Market Garden, Roundway Downs, etc) Take a look at a map of the neighborhood. You'll see that all the streets between Polo Club and the interstate are in unconnected clusters. I think that is good. In other words, the houses in the Market Garden/Roundway Downs don't connect to the Shaker Run section, which doesn't connect to the Birkdale/Royal Troon section, which doesn't connect to the Sweet Clover section.

I think if you are going to be spending over $200k (mainly the houses on the opposite side of Polo Club) you should probably look in Andover Hills. Again, look at the map. You'll see that Gleneagles is pretty much houses from $150-175k with the middle part being $200-300k. Since there are more of the less expensive houses, they will have a greater impact on the nicer ones than the other way around. Plus the school district isn't as good.

I have friends and clients that live in the over $200k area of Gleneagles. I am not saying it isn't nice over there. I am just saying that since the market slowed, there are better choices for about the same money. When the market was hot, everything sold for top dollar.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 AM

37 posts, read 84,769 times
We are renting in The Home Place, which is directly behind Gleneagles on Polo Club, and haven't heard any reports of crime since we moved in last August. We're about 1.5 miles back off of Polo Club, so we're pretty far from the apartments/main road. If you're looking in Gleneagles, I'd suggest looking deeper into the neighborhood and avoiding the streets on the right that back up to the apartments. But, like others said, there are other options around Hamburg that don't have the issues that Gleneagles presents. We really like it here for renting but probably wouldn't buy here.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:10 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
I would also avoid the front section of Gleneagles on the corner of I-75 and Man O War Blvd. Otherwise, it's a nice large middle class neighborhood. But some of the houses are way too close to I-75 for me. Not all the houses are though, since it's so big.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 6,540 times
I lived in Gleneagles for 5 years. When the apts opened there were 5 cars stolen in a week. These Section 8 apts have been truly horrible for the home values. Try to stay as far away in your purchase of a home as u can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area