Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 11:37 AM

32 posts, read 124,709 times

Advertisements

How about some pros and cons of living in Little Rock??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 03:15 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Pros -- Cultural center of Arkansas; good restaurants; good museums; River Market district is great; relatively easy to get from one place to another; funky cool neighborhoods like Hillcrest and Heights; within a day's drive of great recreation spots; shopping; decent concert selection; beautiful scenery, especially along Highway 10 going toward Perry County and along the Arkansas River

Cons -- Does not have as much 'to do' as bigger cities; sometimes can seem unwelcoming to outsiders; crime; public schools are not very good; outside of the River Market, downtown offers very little, especially on evenings and weekends

Overall evaluation -- I'd move back there in a heartbeat. I loved it. I made some good friends there, attended a great church there, and had a good job there.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 PM

45 posts, read 154,965 times
I just moved to Little Rock from Fayetteville a few months ago. I do not regret it at all. Little Rock has definately become my home. I agree with everything that strumpeace said! However, there are two, maybe three public elementary schools that I would send my kids to. I also enjoy going to downtown any time! They have a lot of our favorite restaurants and bars down there. It's a growing city with a lot to offer! Are you relocating down here?

Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,433 times
I am currently looking at transferring from Cincinnati, any thoughts?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,257 times
Well, I think I'd have to know something about you.

And Cincinnati.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:50 PM

148 posts, read 350,672 times
Pros:
- proximity to Memphis and Dallas
- Clinton library and associated activities
- affordable private schools
- family-friendly: childcare, parks, free movies, etc.
- minimal traffic
- affordable real estate
- Tons of catfish joints
- U-pick farms and farmers markets nearby

Cons:
- few big concerts (Dora Live! doesn't count)
- no pro sports
- cable/DSL access limited to city limits (WLR, NLR, LR)
- low wages
- high cost/much hassle to travel to coasts and overseas
- feels insular and cliquish
- Ach! No Thai food!
- heat & humidity!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:19 PM

there's a Thai place in the River Market, sneezyone! and Saigon Cuisine (on Cantrell near Mississippi) serves Vietnamese, Thai, and Chinese food. also there's a Thai place in Jacksonville.

but I would agree for the most part with the rest of your cons.

to other's pros I would add that it's easy to get around and small enough that everything's accessible. places like Dallas make me crazy, with the driving and driving to get anywhere. also, there are some good public magnet schools.

no big concerts, but lots of clubs with smaller shows and some great bands. and occasionally some bigtime bands in smaller venues! a nice variety of locally owned restaurants and boutiques. a good mix of people. an abundance of natural beauty in and around the city. and lots of small southern city charm.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
there's a Thai place in the River Market, sneezyone! and Saigon Cuisine (on Cantrell near Mississippi) serves Vietnamese, Thai, and Chinese food. also there's a Thai place in Jacksonville.

but I would agree for the most part with the rest of your cons.
Do they have a decent yellow curry, serve "sticky" rice? What are the names? Whoo, I miss phad thai! My DD keeps complaining that the restaraunts here don't serve "real rice" LOL.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:50 PM

the one in the River Market is Bangkok Thai Cuisine, it's in the market hall which unfortunately means it's not open for dinner. (which I definitely a problem with! I guess they just cater to downtown workers and farmer's market goers, but as a downtown dweller I'd patronize them a lot more if I could get dinner there!)

Saigon Cuisine is the one on Cantrell, and it's one of my favorite restaurants in Little Rock. I work over that direction and their pho and spring rolls is one of my favorite lunches. I do tend to focus on the Vietnamese dishes when I'm there, but I had their red curry last time and it was Teh Yum.

the one in Jacksonville is called Thai Taste, and I think it's on Main Street. haven't been there in several years but it was pretty good last time I was there.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
the one in the River Market is Bangkok Thai Cuisine, it's in the market hall which unfortunately means it's not open for dinner. (which I definitely a problem with! I guess they just cater to downtown workers and farmer's market goers, but as a downtown dweller I'd patronize them a lot more if I could get dinner there!)

Saigon Cuisine is the one on Cantrell, and it's one of my favorite restaurants in Little Rock. I work over that direction and their pho and spring rolls is one of my favorite lunches. I do tend to focus on the Vietnamese dishes when I'm there, but I had their red curry last time and it was Teh Yum.

the one in Jacksonville is called Thai Taste, and I think it's on Main Street. haven't been there in several years but it was pretty good last time I was there.
I prefer sit down so I'll probably start with the one on Cantrell. Thanks for the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area