Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,856,674 times

Advertisements

Crime-wise, the difference between the two is minimal. Both have large swaths of bad neighborhoods. the percentages are similar, but Memphis being much larger will naturally have more bad areas.
I spent most of my life near Memphis and lived in little rock a few years. Little Rock is..... okay. It doesn't have much to offer. Not a place I'd raise a family. Well, neither is Memphis, really. The singles scene is somewhat tolerable because of the various colleges, but most of them seemed to be always itching to move elsewhere.
Little Rock has a slight edge for outdoors stuff, but Memphis is overall better in my opinion.
Little Rock came across as a bit uptight and political. Memphis is more laid-back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,186 times
I grew up in Memphis and attended Hendrix for undergrad so I spent a lot of time in LR (and I now live in St. Louis, FWIW). Of the two cities I'd probably pick LR. Memphis is bigger and there's probably more to do there, but LR is cleaner and much prettier geographically. I've always been impressed with how much there actually is to do in LR despite its small size. It seems like more of an over-achiever while Memphis seems like an under-achiever. Most people I know in LR seem to have an attitude that is apathetic-to-positive about the city, while most Memphians I know are apathetic-to-negative. It's also much easier to avoid the ghetto in LR due to 630 separating the two halves of the city. In Memphis it's all mixed in together so it's hard to escape without fleeing to the burbs. Memphis is by no means a bad city, but I'd just have to give the edge to LR, which says quite a lot considering its metro area is half the size of Memphis'.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 PM

490 posts, read 1,265,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I grew up in Memphis and attended Hendrix for undergrad so I spent a lot of time in LR (and I now live in St. Louis, FWIW). Of the two cities I'd probably pick LR. Memphis is bigger and there's probably more to do there, but LR is cleaner and much prettier geographically. I've always been impressed with how much there actually is to do in LR despite its small size. It seems like more of an over-achiever while Memphis seems like an under-achiever. Most people I know in LR seem to have an attitude that is apathetic-to-positive about the city, while most Memphians I know are apathetic-to-negative. It's also much easier to avoid the ghetto in LR due to 630 separating the two halves of the city. In Memphis it's all mixed in together so it's hard to escape without fleeing to the burbs. Memphis is by no means a bad city, but I'd just have to give the edge to LR, which says quite a lot considering its metro area is half the size of Memphis'.
How do you like living in St. Louis? Do you live in the city or county?

Old 12-29-2012, 06:58 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
I am going to have to disagree that Little Rock is an over-achiever. It does have a nice skyline and downtown for its size, but outside of that there isn't much. In most of the city the streets roll up at sunset. Two cities that are over-achievers are Des Moines and Tulsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Crime-wise, the difference between the two is minimal. Both have large swaths of bad neighborhoods. the percentages are similar, but Memphis being much larger will naturally have more bad areas.
I spent most of my life near Memphis and lived in little rock a few years. Little Rock is..... okay. It doesn't have much to offer. Not a place I'd raise a family. Well, neither is Memphis, really. The singles scene is somewhat tolerable because of the various colleges, but most of them seemed to be always itching to move elsewhere.
Little Rock has a slight edge for outdoors stuff, but Memphis is overall better in my opinion.
Little Rock came across as a bit uptight and political. Memphis is more laid-back.
Yeah, I remember among the younger generation in Little Rock, there was always talk of moving somewhere else. The ones who stayed were the ones who got married in their late teens/early twenties.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
How do you like living in St. Louis? Do you live in the city or county?
I live in the City (Central West End) and love it! I feel like STL is just the right size. It's big enough to have a genuine urban feel and there's enough to do without getting bored but still small enough to be manageable. I'd recommend it for anyone from AR who is looking for a big city but doesn't want anything too intimidating. And it's still close to the South, which is a plus (though far enough away for people to make fun of my accent ).

Last edited by Dawn10am; 12-29-2012 at 08:15 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 08:24 PM

490 posts, read 1,265,060 times
Quote:
I live in the City (Central West End) and love it! I feel like STL is just the right size. It's big enough to have a genuine urban feel and there's enough to do without getting bored but still small enough to be manageable. I'd recommend it for anyone from AR who is looking for a big city but doesn't want anything too intimidating. And it's still close to the South, which is a plus (though far enough away for people to still make fun of my accent ).
Just curious. We lived in Ballwin for 16 years before being transferred to Omaha and loved it. We made friends there that we are still close to.

Also, growing up in south Arkansas, I was a Cardinal fan and loved getting to go to games while we lived there.

I just never got used to highway "farty" and "where did you go to high school".

Loved Charlie Gittos!!!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
Just curious. We lived in Ballwin for 16 years before being transferred to Omaha and loved it. We made friends there that we are still close to.

Also, growing up in south Arkansas, I was a Cardinal fan and loved getting to go to games while we lived there.

I just never got used to highway "farty" and "where did you go to high school".

Loved Charlie Gittos!!!
Yeah the obsession with high school around here is pretty astonishing. And I still call it "64" even though my native STL friends look at me like I"m crazy. I do love all the little quirks about living here though. Always entertaining.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM

26 posts, read 51,405 times
parking is way cheaper @ L.R.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,856,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanTim View Post
lived in West Little Rock/Cantrell, and in Germantown a suburb of Memphis.. the cities are somewhat comparable but Memphis is dumber,, more dangerous and stupid for it's size I found LR to be far more intelligent but still regional in its favour..Memphis is influenced by Mississippi, which is the worst state in the Union..LR has no such aflliction which is to its credit - I enjoyed the Heights area, Shackleford/Reservoir area, places like the Train Stat, Coy's short Smalls and back in the day the ExecsInn on the river, fond memories of Cajuns Wharf and even places in NLR. I can say I think the sociocultural environment of LR is better than Mem, Mem seems trapped in about 20 years ago while other cities progress rapidly. Memphis could be a fantastic city, but it's not and it shoots itself in the foot every year and every decade. Choose Little Rock over Memphis in terms of the future ! Mem is playing catch up and will be doing it for years to come
Arkansas=Mississippi=Arkansas.

No, I don't think they're the worst two states, but there is little difference between them.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 AM

405 posts, read 822,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Arkansas=Mississippi=Arkansas.

No, I don't think they're the worst two states, but there is little difference between them.
I disagree. At least most of Arkansas (the Little Rock area in particular) is a naturally beautiful state that nature lovers and outdoor types can adore. Mississippi on the other hand is an irredeemable dump of a state and nature wise it's not very scenic at all. It's hot as hell and you see the same boring visuals driving across the state for hours until you get to the Gulf Coast. the bottom half of Mississippi is also heavily influenced by backwoods, Louisiana swamp culture, which is another big strike against Mississippi, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area