Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:31 PM

15 posts, read 67,385 times

Advertisements

My daughter was offered a job at the Little Rock airport and also in Phoenix airport. Little Rock and Phoenix are neck in neck for crimes. Phoenix is warm in winter and hot in summer. Not much rain and lots of sunshine but no trees. Little Rock gets more rain than we do in Michigan to my knowledge. Has icy winters and sticky hot summers. Also has fall and spring I would guess. We just don't know which place to choose! Any and all help greatly appreciated. Also, what are areas relatively close to Little Rock airport to live in that is safe? Say within 30 minute drive?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 07:22 AM

113 posts, read 569,229 times
I've lived in Central Arkansas for 3 years, and I really enjoy it. There is a high crime rate in Little Rock, but 90% of it drug/gang related. If you're daughter stays away from this sort of lifestyle, she should be fine. Little Rock airport is so much smaller and slower paced than Pheonix. It should be a a less stressfull working environment here in LR.

The airport isn't located in the nicest part of town, however it isn't in the worst area either. If your daughter wanted a close drive, and a rural atmosphere, I would suggesst check out the towns of Scott, England, and Lonoke. Each is within a 30 min drive or less to the airport. I commute from Conway and I would recommend it as well. There are a lot of bedroom communities around LR. Benton, Bryant, Conway, Maumelle. Each of these are nice communities and are within a half hour drive from LR.

If she is wanting to live in LR, I would suggest the areas west of I-430 (west LR) This is the nicest area of LR and for that matter the most expensive. Park Hills, Riverdale, and the Heights are also nice subdivisions inside LR.

Some of the less expensive areas that are still nice to live in include Sherwood, Jacksonville, and North LR.

If you have any particular questions about a specific area, shoot me an email, and I'll be glad to give my $0.02

I hope you and your daughter chose LR, and if she's single and around the age of 25, I'd be happy to show her around town.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:30 AM

I just saw you also were questioning the weather here in LR. We definately have 4 different seasons. The summer is HOT and very humid. A temp of 93 will feel like 103 due to the humidity, you can only imagine what it feels like when we break 100 degrees! Fall and spring are very nice, with cool mornings and warm afternoons. It is 94 degrees today in LR, but the morning low is in the 60's. Winters here are mild, with a few extended cold spells occuring (below 20 degrees for the high) We don't get much snow at all. In Arkansas, areas of the state north of I-40 usually get the snow if anyone does, and south they get sleet and freezing rain. Due to the lack of frozen precipitation, anything that accumulates will shut down the city. People do not know how to drive on the stuff, and so there are hundreds of fender benders. Sounds bad, I know. But this only occurs once or twice a year.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:14 AM

297 posts, read 1,296,883 times
Default Little Rock

I live 2 hours south of LR but can tell you that I'd choose LR over Arizona anyday. It's still very humid but Arkansas has some very scenic beautiful places and friendly faces. It's scenic and a very beautiful city. The Arkansas River is close by with Riverfront Park. There's alot to do . There's crime but a single girl would have to be on her guard and not go to places by herself. There's alot of smaller towns that connect to Little Rock such as Bryant, Benton and Sheridan that are close to Little Rock. Maybe someone on this forum from LR can help you with a specific places that she could move to. Good luck!

Old 10-04-2006, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,728 times
I would have to agree with these fine folks in regards to choosing Arkansas over Arizona. I currently live in Antioch, California and work for the Department of Homeland Security in San Francisco. As a former resident of both Arkansas and Arizona (Arkansas born and raised), I can tell you that the scenery and landscapes of Arkansas will be more than enough to persuade you. I was raised in the small town of Sheridan, Arkansas which is about a 30 minute drive from the airport. Sheridan is probably a little too small (population approx. 4,000), but Benton and Bryant are ideal places to live. Bryant in particular, with its new homes and modern conveniences popping up like weeds. I try to visit Arkansas often. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE sunny California. But, you can't find the natural beauty of Arkansas on a beach....

Old 10-04-2006, 06:05 PM

15 posts, read 67,385 times
We are native Michiganders. We know humidity and we definitely know ice and snow! We were in Little Rock in August for the interview. I think it was about 96 degrees that day. Hot but not unbearable. Arkansas looks alot like home with hills. I think we'll like it. She has taken the job. Now we're just waiting for the court order to release her to take her son out of state. I do have a question though, Since we are from the north, will we have problems? My husband is from Alabama and for years I was "that Northern girl"
thanks

Old 10-05-2006, 06:48 AM

In Little Rock, you will have no problems being from "out of town". However some small, rural Arkansas towns especially in the Delta seem to be alittle weary of outsiders. Not rude, but just suspicious for some reason. Don't worry. You'll fit right in here in LR. I hope she enjoy's the job.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,429 times
Little Rock is a great town! If you must live outside the city, I'd suggest Benton or Bryant.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopig_sooie View Post
I've lived in Central Arkansas for 3 years, and I really enjoy it. There is a high crime rate in Little Rock, but 90% of it drug/gang related. If you're daughter stays away from this sort of lifestyle, she should be fine. Little Rock airport is so much smaller and slower paced than Pheonix. It should be a a less stressfull working environment here in LR.

The airport isn't located in the nicest part of town, however it isn't in the worst area either. If your daughter wanted a close drive, and a rural atmosphere, I would suggesst check out the towns of Scott, England, and Lonoke. Each is within a 30 min drive or less to the airport. I commute from Conway and I would recommend it as well. There are a lot of bedroom communities around LR. Benton, Bryant, Conway, Maumelle. Each of these are nice communities and are within a half hour drive from LR.

If she is wanting to live in LR, I would suggest the areas west of I-430 (west LR) This is the nicest area of LR and for that matter the most expensive. Park Hills, Riverdale, and the Heights are also nice subdivisions inside LR.

Some of the less expensive areas that are still nice to live in include Sherwood, Jacksonville, and North LR.

If you have any particular questions about a specific area, shoot me an email, and I'll be glad to give my $0.02

I hope you and your daughter chose LR, and if she's single and around the age of 25, I'd be happy to show her around town.
This post is garbage. You're not even from Little Rock:
90% of violence is Gang/Drug related? What's your source?
Also, where exactly is "Park Hills" in Little Rock?

Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,356,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tori View Post
We are native Michiganders. We know humidity and we definitely know ice and snow! We were in Little Rock in August for the interview. I think it was about 96 degrees that day. Hot but not unbearable. Arkansas looks alot like home with hills. I think we'll like it. She has taken the job. Now we're just waiting for the court order to release her to take her son out of state. I do have a question though, Since we are from the north, will we have problems? My husband is from Alabama and for years I was "that Northern girl"
thanks
She made a good choice IMO. I have been through Phoenix and Little Rock airports many times and I think Phoenex is much better and less hectic. Being here for the interview this month gives you an idea of what our hottest weather is like.

We may tease you for being "that Northern girl", but it will be from friendship and love. Welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area