Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanRabbitt View Post
I constantly hear about people saying LR & North Little Rock as being some of the most dangerous in the nation, with some comparing it to Memphis.
But I want opinions from residents on how bad the capital of Arkansas in the crime department
For arkansas it's kinda' bad. Compared to other cities in the rest of the country I'm thinking it's a pretty good place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,098 times
Smile Re: Post on how bad Little Rock is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanRabbitt View Post
I constantly hear about people saying LR & North Little Rock as being some of the most dangerous in the nation, with some comparing it to Memphis.
But I want opinions from residents on how bad the capital of Arkansas in the crime department
My family & I have lived here 6 yrs and the jobs have disappeared. There's none left unless you want to wait atleast a year to find one even with someone with experience. There are so many homeless here they crowd the streets, sleep under buildings, etc... The unemployment rate here is higher than statistics say. It's at 8% or 9%. The crime is so high its unbelievable. There's MDK's in the city everyday, along with Rape. I can't believe nobody else posts this about Little Rock. Its probably the #1 worst city to live with high crime, violence and there's no white people here and tons of gay's. Practically no single people and no straight people.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
mod cut - orphaned
This is totally not true.

I am not sure I can dispute the economic numbers with you. I've always wondered actually why Little Rock's employment numbers weren't higher being that most of their big corporations have had problems in the past five years. However, crime is pretty localized to the area south of I-630 and even then there are some areas that are decent. South Little Rock is mostly black while north (above I-630) and west LR are mostly white. As far as gay people, Little Rock has the biggest gay community in Arkansas but by no means is everybody gay. Statistics wise it's just about average. You'll actually find more open homophobia in Little Rock than you will most places. Stay out of the Quapaw Quarter, Riverdale, or Hillcrest and you'll rarely see gays.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-28-2013 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: moved to other thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:33 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda8588 View Post
My family & I have lived here 6 yrs and the jobs have disappeared. There's none left unless you want to wait atleast a year to find one even with someone with experience. There are so many homeless here they crowd the streets, sleep under buildings, etc... The unemployment rate here is higher than statistics say. It's at 8% or 9%. The crime is so high its unbelievable. There's MDK's in the city everyday, along with Rape. I can't believe nobody else posts this about Little Rock. Its probably the #1 worst city to live with high crime, violence and there's no white people here and tons of gay's. Practically no single people and no straight people.
No white people? According to the census bureau 52% of Little Rock's population is white. Hmm. What's more, Little Rock's population continues to grow, which suggests that not all of the city is as bad as dyou describe.

Now if you want to see true crime, poverty, and high unemployment visit Jackson Mississippi. A city that's dwindled from over 215,000 to 173,000. A city where 18% of the residents are white and 80% of the residents are black. A city with a higher murder rate than Chicago. However, just outside of Jackson you will find some of the most affluent suburbs in the entire state. Madison and Ridgeland are white havens full of extremely wealthy people.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I don't have a clue what you do for a living or where in Little Rock you live, but the latest Kiplinger report rates Little Rock the best place in the country to live, based on the job market, medical facilities, cost of living and educational system for a city their size. They rate it ahead of Burlington, VT and Santa Fe, NM. Last year Forbes rated Little Rock among the top 10 cities to live in and do business in. So, I have to wonder, where the problem lies? You say the unemployment rate is 8 or 9%, not what is being reported, you do realize, nationally it is closer to 15% instead of what is being reported don't you?

I would ask you, if there are no white people what color are you? I find it interesting you mention gays, do they create a health problem, a crime problem, or what? It seems a little strange there are so many gays, but no white people: blacks are rarely gay, in fact most are pretty anti gay. And how do people sleep under buildings, that must be terrible crushing experience?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Upon reading your post a second time, I left several of your key issues with Little Rock unaddressed.

I've only driven through Little Rock twice, didn't really get a feel for the city, but I believe your views are very misinformed and misrepresented. You suggest Little Rock is the worst city to live in with high crime? Clearly you either don't do your research or you aren't that well traveled, because I'd be willing to bet the residents of Detroit, Chicago's south side, Baltimore, Memphis, Camden, and Gary would all be willing to argue that their city is far more dangerous than Little Rock.

I also have to agree with nmnita in regards to gays. Most gays by demographics are white, so most of the "gay" people you're referring to are probably white. Also, if you care to do the research census statistics show that Little Rock is 52% white, which is a lot higher than lots of other cities. Detroit is 11% white, Gary is 10% white, Memphis is 32% white, Jackson is 18% white, Baltimore is 31% white, I could go on, but Little Rock in its city limits has plenty of white people, and probably a huge majority living in its suburbs.

8-9% is high, but there are other cities with far higher unemployment rates.

Homeless people exist in EVERY major city. Any city I've visited with a population over 100,000 is bound to have homeless people. New Orleans had the largest amount that I've seen, but Little Rock is no exception. You'll find homeless people in the really nice cities too, doesn't matter, they clamor to large urban areas.

No single people or straight people? I find that hard to believe. Everyone has to start off single at some point in their life. Before people can wed or date they have to be single, you know? A quick search of online dating in Little Rock is more than likely going to yield several hundred possibly a few thousand results, all single people.

See how different things are when you actually open your eyes to information?

Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
It will be interesting to see if she comes back and supports her views. I am sure something has set her off and she isn't really looking at the overall picture.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM

320 posts, read 578,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
No white people? According to the census bureau 52% of Little Rock's population is white. Hmm. What's more, Little Rock's population continues to grow, which suggests that not all of the city is as bad as dyou describe.

Now if you want to see true crime, poverty, and high unemployment visit Jackson Mississippi. A city that's dwindled from over 215,000 to 173,000. A city where 18% of the residents are white and 80% of the residents are black. A city with a higher murder rate than Chicago. However, just outside of Jackson you will find some of the most affluent suburbs in the entire state. Madison and Ridgeland are white havens full of extremely wealthy people.
I don't know where you're from but in Arkansas and the rest of the south there are higher populations of blacks in rural areas than urban and the crime rates are lower. You think Jackson Mississippi has more crime than Chicago?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 PM

8 posts, read 14,853 times
A lot of People who live outside Pulaski County describe Little Rock as a War Zone. Many of my relatives from Northwest Arkansas think I'm lucky to be alive and are surprised when I tell them I frequently walk at night downtown and have never once in 50 years been accosted. Every city has rough areas, bad things happen in small towns, murders happen in the best neighborhoods. Overall Little Rock is one of the most peaceful large cities in the U.S.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
I don't know where you're from but in Arkansas and the rest of the south there are higher populations of blacks in rural areas than urban and the crime rates are lower. You think Jackson Mississippi has more crime than Chicago?
I'm living in Mississippi right now, I am aware that there is a higher rural black population in the south than most people realize.

Per capita, Jackson Mississippi has a higher murder rate than Chicago Illinois, fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area