Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 02:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, my sister moved away to Maumelle, a little town north of Little Rock, with her husband and kids. She hasn't said much to me about it but my mother is telling me that she told her it was nice. Her husband is really a country guy and moved away from Houston to be somewhere less urban. I know next to nothing about AR, but I've heard it's gorgeous. What's the town of Maumelle like? Is it more of an exurb of Little Rock or just a suburban town north of LR?

Just want to make sure she's going to be ok and her kids will go to good schools and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:59 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,406,335 times
maumelle is a great place to live and raise a family. they should have a good life there.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:19 PM

Glad to hear that. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:15 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,904,921 times
Maumelle is a small incorporated town across the river and west of L.R., about 30 minutes from down-town L.R.. I think it would be considered to have an upper middle class population.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Maumelle is a small incorporated town across the river and west of L.R., about 30 minutes from down-town L.R.. I think it would be considered to have an upper middle class population.
Very nice. OK, so they're doing well. I am glad to hear that. Is the area pretty? I saw a picture and it looked as though its a nice area.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:17 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,406,335 times
yes, it is a beautiful area. rolling hills, with two golf courses mixed in the landscape and the arkansas river borders the south side. also, a very safe area to raise a family. the limited access makes it less desirable to the criminal element. i have several friends that live in the area and they love it.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:58 PM

Sweet! I knew her husband was a smart guy and could find a great spot.

Rolling hills? Rivers? Looks like the kids are going to grow up in some pristine countryside!

Old 12-12-2016, 07:52 AM

10,089 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Sweet! I knew her husband was a smart guy and could find a great spot.

Rolling hills? Rivers? Looks like the kids are going to grow up in some pristine countryside!
Personally, I don't like Maumelle at all. The traffic is an absolute nightmare. Maumelle blvd is perhaps the most congested street in the entire LR metro and comes to a complete standstill during rush hour and morning.

Also, Maumelle has pretty much zero shopping. 90% of the businesses are home improvement stores. You got Walmart and Dollar General and that's about it. Restaurant choices are extremely limited as well. Housing is also very expensive with some apartment complexes renting for 1K a month for a one bed room.

On the plus side though, they have a huge beautiful park with a long walking trail that goes around the lake and through the woods. It also has a sound stage for outdoor concerts. The park alone almost makes up for all the negatives. It is probably the safest area in LR, but that's not saying much because sadly, the criminal element is drifting in more and more.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Personally, I don't like Maumelle at all. The traffic is an absolute nightmare. Maumelle blvd is perhaps the most congested street in the entire LR metro and comes to a complete standstill during rush hour and morning.

Also, Maumelle has pretty much zero shopping. 90% of the businesses are home improvement stores. You got Walmart and Dollar General and that's about it. Restaurant choices are extremely limited as well. Housing is also very expensive with some apartment complexes renting for 1K a month for a one bed room.

On the plus side though, they have a huge beautiful park with a long walking trail that goes around the lake and through the woods. It also has a sound stage for outdoor concerts. The park alone almost makes up for all the negatives. It is probably the safest area in LR, but that's not saying much because sadly, the criminal element is drifting in more and more.
Oh no. My sister did call my mom telling her how "rural" she thought it was. She's a country girl but is really an exurb kinda gal. I don't know if she meant that as a negative or not but her husband must be in heaven. He's a country guy through and through.

So you're saying the town is a bit boring? And 1k to live in rural exurb AR is too much.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:18 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Oh no. My sister did call my mom telling her how "rural" she thought it was. She's a country girl but is really an exurb kinda gal. I don't know if she meant that as a negative or not but her husband must be in heaven. He's a country guy through and through.

So you're saying the town is a bit boring? And 1k to live in rural exurb AR is too much.
Look at a map - Maumelle is literally across the river from west Little Rock. It's not rural nor an exurb. You can get to Little Rock in five minutes from Maumelle during off-peak hours. Conway fits the definition of "exurb" a little better, but Conway is so big and has so many amenities of its own, that it doesn't feel exurban. Maumelle is a "planned city" that was not even established until around 1986, and the city planners intentionally laid out the city to keep a lot of businesses out that tend to bring in the crime element, which explains why the Walmart on Maumelle Blvd. is technically in the North Little Rock city limits. My point is that a city that borders both Little Rock and North Little Rock is not "in the middle of nowhere".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area