Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,751 times

Advertisements

I am from chicago and looking to move to possibly cabot area or somewhere near little rock. I am a master auto mechanic and wondering what the best area is for me in arkansas to get a good job? I was at a top 10 shop in the country up here and can not really find any research on good shops in the areas down there. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I like cabot due to the nice houses and low prices (as opposed to up here,lol). I am 32 and a single white male.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
If you don't mind commuting, in Jacksonville, Sherwood and North LIttle Rock there are all the major dealerships - you're probably talked 25 minutes or so to NLR. For that matter, there are excellent housing prices in all those areas, probably better than in Cabot. Little Rock is a little further down the road, another 15 minutes or so - on Cantrell there is the Lexus, Land Rover and Mercedes dealerships - west Little Rock has a number of car dealerships. You might also look at housing in Maumelle, which is convenient to anything and is on the north side of the river but west of NLR proper.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:57 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
If you're an honest and decent mechanic, would you please consider moving to Memphis instead? We seem to be lacking in that department.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
If you're an honest and decent mechanic, would you please consider moving to Memphis instead? We seem to be lacking in that department.
Proselytizer

Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 PM

I am a very honest mechanic. I am great at what I do. I am fair and would never do anything that is not necessary. I am more into the independent shops over dealerships. Too many snakes at dealers and don't want to go back to that. Thanks for the responses I will look into that. I prefer a safe neighborhood since I am singe and do plan on starting a family someday and do not want to jump around.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:25 PM

Come to Russellville - I can give you a thousand tips!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:36 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
You might try looking at IATN sponsers or ASA shops as a start. I am a transmission mechanic that lived in Little Rock for a few years. None of the Transmission shops paid much, but there seemed to be a few general repair shops on the west side of Little Rock that should be reputable and decent paying for the area. Don't expect to make whatever you did in Chicago. Housing is more affordable, though.

Unfortunately, dealerships would pay more by far in the Little Rock area.
I topped out at $15 an hour at a transmission shop. Needless to say, I decided to move to a better paying area.
There's money and nice neighborhoods in Little Rock, but it's mostly white-collar. As a blue-collar guy, I always felt a bit awkward in LR, considering I didn't want to live in a trailer out in the country....which is what most of my co-workers did.
I don't mean to put it down, it is what it is.
Cabot's a bit of a bedroom community. Unless something's opened up recently, I doubt there would be anything there.

If you're looking at just any area of Arkansas, the northwest part is rapidly growing, and might have some jobs there. I'm not familiar with it to know for sure.
Best of luck to you.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:08 PM

I am still so confused on what to do, lol. I keep trying to find out what pay I would be at down there and can not seem to find anything. I also was looking at fayetteville area but some seem to say it is too white collar. As I said before not big into the dealers and more of an independent shop kinda guy. anyone know of any areas in Arkansas with a booming area of independent shops? also not a big fan of dry towns since I do like to indulge from time to time. Any auto mechanics on this board? lol.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 17,510 times
There are alot of small shops all over this state and the pay will depend on you and who you are working for here. There are no set rates here as you pretty much make your own way here. Russivelle to Ft.Smith is full of small and large shops. North West Ar. is the boom town area right now.
The area you live will have alot to do with what you can make here as cost of living is so different from area to area. I know Ft.Smith is wet and so is the North West area with lots of places to go for that stuff and for a man of your age like yourself.
Good Luck Buddy!
I hope this helped...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area