Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 10:08 AM

604 posts, read 933,904 times

Advertisements

We're considering HSV for retirement in a couple years. We just concluded a visit to AZ retirement communities in the Phoenix and Tucson areas. Each of them promote their friendly, welcoming atmosphere. Presumably since the residents come from somewhere else they're open and willing to make new friends.

Is HSV a "community" where neighbors want to know neighbors? Where residents get together to socialize?

I'm not a fisherman nor a golfer so I would like to see other organized activities where an active retired couple can make new friends. I don't want to be isolated in a house set in the woods although the setting is one of the main attractions of HSV (although we've not yet visited but seen on the internet).

Love to hear from those who've made the move from afar or those who've spent time visiting there.

We're currently in the Twin Cities area and need to get out of the deep freeze!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 03:57 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
I don't have a lot of experience with the friendliness factor, as I don't live there, but I've been "investigating" HSV for a while now, and I can tell you that you won't have any trouble finding a house that isn't "isolated in a house set in the woods". I'm actually having a tough time finding one that is (in my price range, of course).

We did stay there this past spring in a condo and the 2 different neighbors that we actually talked to were very friendly.

There are many organized activities other than fishing and golf. Go to Hot Springs Village | Hot Springs, Arkansas for more info on that kind of stuff.

The place is beautiful. You would enjoy the "mild" winters (it's all relative...they would not be "mild" to me, coming from much further south, but they would probably feel positively balmy to you!). Fall and spring in Arkansas cannot be beat. Summer is hot, but hey, even old "backwards" Arkansas has air conditioning! And the village has plenty of pools also.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:08 PM

340 posts, read 515,390 times
We moved to HSV about a year ago, although we are very familiar with Arkansas long before we moved here. I'll echo that there is a lot to do here, there are clubs for just about any interest and lots of activities. As far as friendliness, most of the people here are from somewhere else and retired here. A lot are from Minnesota so you should feel at home.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:24 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
I love HSV; our latest visit was in April. I'd move there if the wife would agree. I found it to be quite friendly, and yes most people seem to be retired and older. That's fine with me. And I prefer 4 seasons of weather and that part of Arkansas definitely has it. If we buy there, it will be a vacation home.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:43 PM

604 posts, read 933,904 times
Having recently visited AZ and loved the desert climate (it was very warm in mid-June) just not sure I'm willing to accept the humidity of Arkansas. My wife doesn't even want to consider it because of humidity and bugs.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:27 AM

22 posts, read 39,053 times
We recently bought a home in Hot Springs Village and we are very happy with our decision. We have barely scratched the surface, in regards to activities and meeting people, as the options seem to be plentiful.

From what we can tell so far, Arkansas in general is quite a friendly state, and HSV, specifically is the friendliest community I have ever experienced.

In regards to activities, you would find it difficult to not have plenty to do, with lots of like-minded people, as there is a huge variety of clubs, activities, lakes, golf courses, and much more. If you had an interest in something and there was not already a club, I have no doubt that you could find others with the same interest and start your own club. But really, there are so many, many clubs already that you could probably find one or more that suited your personal interests.

There are people here from many walks of life and it is just a beautiful community, both in natural resources and people.

We feel very blessed to have found HSV, but I do understand your wife's aversion to bugs and humidity. I don't particularly care for bugs, but it has not been much of an issue so far. We have a citronella candle, we light when being outside and it seems to do the trick as far as mosquitoes go. My husband sprayed the exterior of the home and we haven't noticed much insect or bug activity inside, at least not any more than one would have anywhere.

In regards to humidity, yes it can be humid, but there is not any perfect place. I prefer the humidity over dealing with large amounts of snow and ice for months at a time in the winter.

I hope you are able to find your oasis, as we have. I call our home the cottage in the enchanted forest, as we can sit and watch deer, turkey, squirrels, chipmunks, birds, etc. come into our yard. We just put up a hummingbird feeder. We watch the squirrels hang upside down, by their toes, eating corn on the cob. It is just a delight.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:15 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Gee, don't they have bugs in Arizona? Is the South the only part of the country that has bugs?

I see so many people complaining about the bugs in Arkansas, like they never see any bugs where they live now. I thought the whole earth was covered in bugs.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 AM

22 posts, read 39,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Gee, don't they have bugs in Arizona? Is the South the only part of the country that has bugs?

I see so many people complaining about the bugs in Arkansas, like they never see any bugs where they live now. I thought the whole earth was covered in bugs.
Yes, you are correct. I lived in Arizona and California and there were bugs there, as there has been everywhere I have lived. We moved here from Indiana and there are bugs there, also.

We have not had an issue with bugs here in Arkansas. Not to say that there are not bugs, but it just hasn't been a problem and I am a person that does not care much for bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area