Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 10:15 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

First, Little Rock surprised me! I was expecting flat, dull, boring, uninspiring. I don't think I've heard of any positives, and when it does come up, it is always attached to the crime rate. So, I had an image of Flint Michigan in my mind, whenever I had previously imagined Little Rock.

However, it's nothing like that at all. The downtown seemed quite walkable, safe, and plenty of 'normal' people everywhere. I say this in contrast to other 'dangerous' downtowns, which seem to have streets largely empty of people walking around, and a lot of empty parking lots around seemingly abandoned buildings here and there. Little Rock is absolutely nothing like that. The downtown, while quite small, seemed very pleasant to stroll around in. Not as interesting as neighborhoods like Hillcrest, but not awful, by any means.

There is also nice nature by the river. Lots of great places to walk along that, and seems pleasant as well.

Additionally, I drove into some hilly areas, with tons of forests, and yet I was still in the city limits. A lot of nice little houses within those hilly forested areas of the city as well.

Then I stumbled into Hillcrest, a neighborhood I hadn't researched or been aware of before I happened upon it. This little area really surprised me. Lots of nice houses, lots of kind of hilly streets there, and lots of little accessable businesses that people living there could walk to.

All in all, Little Rock way exceeded my expectations. I even put in on my list of 'possibilities' of cities that I wouldn't mind living in, if a job came my way that offered me the chance to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 12:19 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
I had the same experience recently on my first trip to the area, but without the preconceived notions. I was very impressed by Little Rock and would not mind living there at all. I love the downtown area and the entire northwest section of the city (west of downtown and north of Interstate 630), especially the older neighborhoods, but also the suburban corridor west along Cantrell Road. I really like how a couple of the grocery stores, both of which are Kroger stores, and some other businesses and restaurants are walkable in the older neighborhoods. However, real estate in that general area is quite expensive.

That said, I was also very impressed with west central Arkansas on my trip. I love the Ouachita Mountains and pine forests. U.S. Highway 270 through the Ouachita National Forest is really nice. Hot Springs was very nice and neat too. All of the above is within easy access from Little Rock.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,029 times
yes, downtown LR is pretty impressive for its size. walking down president clinton and capitol ave during the day makes you feel like you're in a larger city cause there's many people out walking, and capitol ave with all the tall towers feels like a few blocks out of nyc. I just wish Main St would improve

Old 12-17-2014, 11:27 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,904,103 times
Wow, thanks for the "roses". We need all the help we can get. Most of the people who post about the crime and bad stuff have never been here, or came to town looking for trouble, and found it. Of course there are areas I will not visit, but most towns, even smaller than L.R. have them. MOKAN, Ouachita Mountains, you are talking about "my world". Many, many of those mountains I have been on or around. Bigbank, they are working on south Main Street and someday it will be as popular as the River Market, but probably without the clubs.

This is my third time to live in L.R. and if I leave again it will be feet first

Old 12-18-2014, 02:34 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Wow, thanks for the "roses". We need all the help we can get. Most of the people who post about the crime and bad stuff have never been here, or came to town looking for trouble, and found it. Of course there are areas I will not visit, but most towns, even smaller than L.R. have them. MOKAN, Ouachita Mountains, you are talking about "my world". Many, many of those mountains I have been on or around. Bigbank, they are working on south Main Street and someday it will be as popular as the River Market, but probably without the clubs.

This is my third time to live in L.R. and if I leave again it will be feet first
I researched and found out on my own, and I can't imagine I'm wrong, but I think good advice for visitors unfamiliar with Little Rock to stay safe is to simply stay north of Interstate 630 when in the city. I don't think there are any bad areas and that is where 95% of everything relevant is located anyway. Although I do realize the University of Arkansas at Little Rock and the Little Rock Central High School Historic Site are south of the that boundary. Next time I visit, I might carefully venture south of 630. I can understand though how one who doesn't grasp cities very well and doesn't have a great sense of direction might rather just stay away than risk easily ending up in a bad area and possibly a bad situation.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:00 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,904,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I researched and found out on my own, and I can't imagine I'm wrong, but I think good advice for visitors unfamiliar with Little Rock to stay safe is to simply stay north of Interstate 630 when in the city. I don't think there are any bad areas and that is where 95% of everything relevant is located anyway. Although I do realize the University of Arkansas at Little Rock and the Little Rock Central High School Historic Site are south of the that boundary. Next time I visit, I might carefully venture south of 630. I can understand though how one who doesn't grasp cities very well and doesn't have a great sense of direction might rather just stay away than risk easily ending up in a bad area and possibly a bad situation.
That's a big 10-4 on all the above. I do not hesitate to go anywhere I choose during daylight, but avoid some of those areas at night. I have no problem with the Central High area in daylight, but I stay away from there at night. Most of the stuff you read about is dope related and when you read of an "outsider" getting shot or robbed, he, usually, is in there trying to buy dope, or trying to sell in someone else turf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area