Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 11:49 AM

177 posts, read 120,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
What about Hot Springs vs. Hot Springs Village as a place to retire? I am reading up on it online and hope to visit this spring.
My point about being in a "driving only" situation is based on thinking about as I get older, worsening night vision (main road thru HSV is quite dark, thru a lot of woods and curves and deer are leaping out quite a bit)....and what if you lose your ability to drive? You can't even get groceries, though there would be a jitney that would take you down the road to walmart or something.

But just getting around the village pretty much requires a car. At least in Hot Springs I can take a cab or Uber or something.

It was just too remote feeling to me. I am not even a shopper or someone who goes out a lot, yet going to races, doctors in HS, etc. got to seem like a lot of driving to me.

Like I said, I just think the whole concept of retirement communities has changed a whole lot since the 70s when HSV was conceived.

I did have a time where I had to have a car repair, and a taxi to HS proper was about $22.... one way.

I also sensed that there would be a whole lot of infrastructure repairs and upgrades that would need to be heppening in the coming years, "aging" infrastructure would certainly include a 30 year old community. I don't know how long they would be able to hold down POA fees knowing this.

I met people who had to get part time jobs just to continue to afford their golf club fees......things had changed a bit since they moved there 30 years ago. I'm just someone who prepares for the future and knowing that I prefer convenience over living remotely now. I understand that may not be true for everyone. I'm just happier in HS proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 01:12 PM

83 posts, read 174,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavedwithgold View Post
My point about being in a "driving only" situation is based on thinking about as I get older, worsening night vision (main road thru HSV is quite dark, thru a lot of woods and curves and deer are leaping out quite a bit)....and what if you lose your ability to drive? You can't even get groceries, though there would be a jitney that would take you down the road to walmart or something.

But just getting around the village pretty much requires a car. At least in Hot Springs I can take a cab or Uber or something.

It was just too remote feeling to me. I am not even a shopper or someone who goes out a lot, yet going to races, doctors in HS, etc. got to seem like a lot of driving to me.

Like I said, I just think the whole concept of retirement communities has changed a whole lot since the 70s when HSV was conceived.

I did have a time where I had to have a car repair, and a taxi to HS proper was about $22.... one way.

I also sensed that there would be a whole lot of infrastructure repairs and upgrades that would need to be heppening in the coming years, "aging" infrastructure would certainly include a 30 year old community. I don't know how long they would be able to hold down POA fees knowing this.

I met people who had to get part time jobs just to continue to afford their golf club fees......things had changed a bit since they moved there 30 years ago. I'm just someone who prepares for the future and knowing that I prefer convenience over living remotely now. I understand that may not be true for everyone. I'm just happier in HS proper.
I wholeheartedly agree with this...HSV was conceived at a time where people just weren't thinking about "walkable" neighborhoods and traditional planning. It's the complete opposite in fact, with some of the lowest density development in the state. When you consider that this was set up as a "retirement" development, it's even more mind-boggling. Having relatives that live there, navigating the area is an exercise in patience. Everything is so far from everything and not only do you have to drive, but you have to drive a LONG way. It's much worse than living even in a traditional (i.e. post-1950's) suburban American neighborhood.

I suppose one could argue that FOR THE TIME and in the decades since, it perhaps met its intended purpose/goals, but considering what people retiring from 2020 onward would expect is NOT likely to be what HSV was developed to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area