Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:27 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times

Advertisements

I'll keep this post short and to the point. I discovered a couple of cool attractions in the Little Rock area over the weekend and thought I would share:

1. Big Dam Bridge at night - I've been to the bridge before during the daytime from the Cantrell side. I never really went back because it was a pain to drive down Cantrell and find the turn off and get down there. A friend showed me that I could actually get to the bridge right down from Maumelle and it's a great spot at night. I loved it. From Maumelle side, you climb up the bridge higher and higher until you reach the mid way point where the lights on the bridge turn blue and green. I enjoyed sitting on the bench listening to the dam water flowing below. Also the houses on the hill are beautiful to see at night. It's also really breezy and cool there. Just a great place to relax.

2. Chuy's - one of my frustrations with living in Arkansas is the lack of Tex-Mex. The mexican food here is just bland and not really enjoyable even though Arkansans swear by it. But I found Chuy's in WLR and it was a nice haven of Tex-Mex goodness. I can't recommend this restaurant enough. The place is so colorful and decorative that it is almost hard to take it all in. There was even a look in station in the middle of the restaurant where you can watch the workers hand make tortillas. I was really impressed with the art style, the food and great service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 09:35 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,904,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I'll keep this post short and to the point. I discovered a couple of cool attractions in the Little Rock area over the weekend and thought I would share:

1. Big Dam Bridge at night - I've been to the bridge before during the daytime from the Cantrell side. I never really went back because it was a pain to drive down Cantrell and find the turn off and get down there. A friend showed me that I could actually get to the bridge right down from Maumelle and it's a great spot at night. I loved it. From Maumelle side, you climb up the bridge higher and higher until you reach the mid way point where the lights on the bridge turn blue and green. I enjoyed sitting on the bench listening to the dam water flowing below. Also the houses on the hill are beautiful to see at night. It's also really breezy and cool there. Just a great place to relax.

2. Chuy's - one of my frustrations with living in Arkansas is the lack of Tex-Mex. The mexican food here is just bland and not really enjoyable even though Arkansans swear by it. But I found Chuy's in WLR and it was a nice haven of Tex-Mex goodness. I can't recommend this restaurant enough. The place is so colorful and decorative that it is almost hard to take it all in. There was even a look in station in the middle of the restaurant where you can watch the workers hand make tortillas. I was really impressed with the art style, the food and great service.

Chuy's - and easy to find and easy to get into.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:14 PM

69 posts, read 95,487 times
I like how the bridges are lit up now. Wasn't like that 5 or 10 years ago. Much more interesting.

Chuy's is ok. I'd rather go to a local place like Heights Taco & Tamale and not a chain though.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:52 AM

448 posts, read 366,202 times
The old mill in little rock was in the opening of gone with the wind. To my knowledge it was never a working mill. Its all concrete even the wood bridge. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Arkansas.html

Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
I'm interested in seeing the Old Mill - looking at the picture, I can't place it in Gone with the Wind. What scene was it in?

Thanks -

edited to add:

Never mind - I found it! Cool.

https://www.arkansas.com/things-to-d...tail.aspx?id=3

Old 06-09-2017, 01:43 PM

847 posts, read 1,458,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

We have Chuy's here in Georgia, so we checked out the one in North Little Rock while visiting my in-laws. It had the same quality that we are used to here.

I will check out the Big Dam Bridge the next time that we are in town. We hit Pinnacle Mountain State Park the last time we were in Little Rock.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:56 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,257,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
The old mill in little rock was in the opening of gone with the wind. To my knowledge it was never a working mill. Its all concrete even the wood bridge. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Arkansas.html
We had our pictures taken there in high school. It's a great place to take portraits.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:34 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
The Old Mill is in the city of North Little Rock, not Little Rock. Sorry, but someone had to be "that guy" on this thread after that inaccuracy was posted.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:25 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,312 times
This is kind of off subject, but about 15 years ago, I used to have to go to Little Rock for business. I would stay 3 or 4 days usually. I stayed on the west side. My fist trip LR, I expected it to be a Little Memphis, flat, dreary, poor and Ugly. I was traveling with my boss, he's from Houston. We started talking about LR, he told me it was really quite a nice place, and he wouldn't have a problem living there himself.

So the next day he took me around the City to meet our Little Rock clients. I was really pleasantly surprised how beautiful Litte Rock was. And how friendly people were! I'm from Tulsa, and I thought we were friendly! Little Rock blows us away in that category. But every time I went to Little Rock I would find something new and interesting. My clients got to know my love for Little Rock, and started telling me about cool places that were off the beaten path. Like designing women, and Suzanne Sugarbaker's home, I had no idea those were in Little Rock! Same way with the old meal, in Gone With the Wind! Who in the heck knew that was in Little Rock?! I was in much better shape then, and every time I was in Little Rock I would climb Mount Pinnacle, weather permitting.

My boss and the crew in Houston was very pleased that I enjoyed Little Rock, it was an important market for us and the last salesman did not like Little Rock, I'm guessing he was a nut! LOL I'm serious, how could he like Little Rock???

Little Rock is terribly underrated, I think because so many still think of the Little Rock School segregation policies of the 50s, where the military had to be called in to integrate the schools. But the folks of Little Rock kind of have themselves to blame. When I would start telling my clients how much I enjoyed Little Rock, they would say "really are you sure?" It seemed no one had much pride in their wonderful city.

It seemed like your city Motto should be "Try Shreveport" or "Couldn't make it to Memphis?" The folks in Little Rock need to take some lessons from Texas, they are proud of everything Texas. Little Rock has a lot to be proud of!!'

Sorry for the long rambling post, now we will return you to your regular broadcasting... LOL

Last edited by okie1962; 06-24-2017 at 12:37 AM..

Old 06-24-2017, 09:49 AM

83 posts, read 174,960 times
^^^ Thanks Okie! Tulsa is a fine city itself. My mom is from Fort Gibson, and when we used to go visit her family, we'd always make the trip into Tulsa for things to do...it is also a city that outdoes itself. Very impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area