Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:00 PM

133 posts, read 483,214 times

Advertisements

I know it's humid over there, obviously. It's a lot warmer here than up north, but the rainy season here around LR/Conway still causes me quite a bit of pain. I'm wondering if the mineral waters over in Hot Springs might do some good, a benefit to outweigh living over in a more damp or humid climate with obviously all the underground springs over there. Anybody ever have good experience with the mineral springs water, drinking it or bathing?

Last edited by Scarlett O'Hara; 06-20-2017 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,810,670 times
When my mother was in her late twenties (long before I made an appearance), she contracted rheumatic fever, which left her almost paralyzed - she was in a wheelchair and was unable to open her mouth more than to admit a straw, through which she was fed. This would have been in the late 1920s or early 1930s, I think - need to check the date if I can.

Her doctor prescribed a course of baths at Hot Springs, so my mother and her older sister traveled to Hot Springs - and my mother made a full recovery (though she suffered from severe arthritis in her knees later in life). I think she and my aunt stayed in Hot Springs for about a month.

Nowadays, people who take the baths do it more for the pleasant experience than as therapy, but soaking in hot, mineral-laced water, followed by massage and perhaps gentle exercise, is certainly helpful for arthritic problems.

You can obtain Mountain Valley bottled water (from Hot Springs) and give it a try, too. Not sure what its mineral content is, but it's been around for quite a while and is popular.

Since Hot Springs is close to you, why not take a week's vacation and take a couple of baths each day? The historic Buckstaff Bath House, now part of the national park, is still in operation and offers a variety of services. Most of them are spa-like, but you should be able to pick out offerings that would help you. Ask your rheumatologist what he or she thinks, too.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:33 AM

In addition to the Buckstaff, the Quapaw Bath House has recently reopened, with a wide variety of services. Their rates are a little lower than those of the Buckstaff Bath House, and they also offer a three-month membership to their heated mineral water pool for $120.

And there are lots of New Age practitioners and businesses in Hot Springs, if that is something that interests you. Maybe it's the influence of all those gorgeous quartz crystals found nearby!

Old 06-21-2017, 03:07 PM

Thanks, Craig. I didn't know how to obtain drinking water, but will try to pick up some. The baths, yes, would help, but I'm wondering about living full time in such a humid environment. I went further up north some years ago on a vacation and I noticed the closer I got to Lake Michigan and Superior, the more pain I had. A vacation for a weekend or so is a very good idea and I shall try that at some point. I was wondering if anyone living over that way currently, who had the same problems as I with degenerative arthritis, could tell me how they're doing in that environment.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:28 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,887,180 times
Scarlett, the humidity in H.S. is little or no different than here in L.R. because most of the springs are sealed off with only the exhibition springs free flowing. There are at least three public fountains from which you can fill jugs and many people travel for miles to get drinking water to take home. I drove from Malvern to get it when we were having water problems at our country home. I cannot personally vouch for any medical benefit, but many people do. As Craig mentioned; I'm sure a series of hot baths (the heat, not the mineral) would provide great, temporary benefit, but unfortunately, there is no long term help for R.A.. If you try it please keep us posted here because I'm sure many people will be interested in your experience.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:43 PM

340 posts, read 510,027 times
Mountain Valley water is bottled in, Mountain Valley. The 100+ year old bottling plant is 10 miles or so north of downtown Hot Springs, just west of the Hot Springs Village Wal Mart. It's good water, but I doubt there is any magic cure to it.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:18 PM

Thank you, Fossil. That's the kind of thing I wanted to find out from people around here. Baths would be better, then, because of the heat, obviously, but the minerals in the water would be absorbed into the tissues and joints. Nothing is going to be a miracle cure, but any little thing that helps is welcome. I know epsom salt and essential oils and herbs in a bath does help some.

I also spent a few months living over in West Helena, about 3 miles from the river, and had a **heck of a fall/winter season over there with pain. Gotta be something about natural water and arthritic joint pain; maybe for me, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Scarlett, the humidity in H.S. is little or no different than here in L.R. because most of the springs are sealed off with only the exhibition springs free flowing. There are at least three public fountains from which you can fill jugs and many people travel for miles to get drinking water to take home. I drove from Malvern to get it when we were having water problems at our country home. I cannot personally vouch for any medical benefit, but many people do. As Craig mentioned; I'm sure a series of hot baths (the heat, not the mineral) would provide great, temporary benefit, but unfortunately, there is no long term help for R.A.. If you try it please keep us posted here because I'm sure many people will be interested in your experience.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:21 PM

Thanks so much, Jim. I had no idea about the source of the water. I assumed (yeah, that word...) that the bottling source was right there in town; i.e. "Hot Springs." I'm glad to get this kind of information from local people because I'm a gullible Yankee rube who will believe what I'm told

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
Mountain Valley water is bottled in, Mountain Valley. The 100+ year old bottling plant is 10 miles or so north of downtown Hot Springs, just west of the Hot Springs Village Wal Mart. It's good water, but I doubt there is any magic cure to it.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
Thanks for the clarification and additional info. As Scarlett noted, the bottles are labeled "Hot Springs", with the inference that the water is from the same source.

Hmmm - good marketing tactic, but a bit misleading.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 PM

177 posts, read 118,788 times
With any kind of arthritis, I think you're going to have a difficult time in states where it rains a lot. I live in Arkansas, and quite frankly, it rains here way more than anywhere else I've lived.

However, that is why it is so green and pretty.

As for obtaining good water, just use the community spiggots in Hot Springs........there are several locations. I like the one down the side street that Arlington Hotel is on. People come there all hours every day with their empty jugs. It's the only water I will drink!

Epsom salt baths with some arm & hammer is good----but the only thing that ever really helps arthritis is movement. Mostly swimming, also walking. #1 for me in any community I live in, having a year round pool.

There are many forms of arthritis (RA, fibromyalgia, osteo, etc. ) and some forms are progressive, others are not. Some sufferers say they do better by avoiding gluten (whether they are gluten sensitive or not). It works for me! Make sure you keep your Vit D. level up.

So these are my coping mechanisms to live in humid arkansas with arthritis. GL and keep moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area