Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 06:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Januarybaby17 View Post
Hello Everyone ,

I am very torn on the information I have come across while researching Little Rock. A lot of it has been that it have a very bad crime rate. And other information has contradicted that. Ive been on this forum a couple times but I haven't come across anything within the past couple years. So I'm wondering have things gotten worse or better in the past couple years in Little Rock ?

(A little background; I come to the conclusion that I want to from Illinois to the south somewhere and I've settled on AR. But I'm not so sure and keep second guessing my decision based on information I've read. I am a single parent and safety is my number one concern.)
Why are you deciding on Little Rock? Have you visited the area and wouldn't it be better to find a job before you move? what about NWA with a lower crime rate and lots of employment opportunity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 07:45 AM

12 posts, read 10,059 times
Too many hood rats moved in after Katrina. It has too much crime.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:27 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcavictor626 View Post
yes this!!

Old 01-30-2018, 12:29 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would disagree with this. The rough areas of Little Rock are south of I-630, not the river. Little Rock proper north of I-630 is quite nice. West Little Rock is also very nice.

The city did have a very high crime rate back in the 1990s and still suffers from that perception. Overall, it's better today but there are still areas to avoid.
This is what i was refering too

uploading sites for free

Old 01-30-2018, 07:33 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcavictor626 View Post
Some of Little Rock's worst years happened loooooonnggg before Katrina.
The town has always had a reputation, but it's not all bad.
A good job, a place to rent, and daycare should be easy enough to find. There are plenty of good apartment complexes in the aforementioned areas like Shakleford, Chenal, etc. Some nice townhouses around as well.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:55 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Why are you deciding on Little Rock? Have you visited the area and wouldn't it be better to find a job before you move? what about NWA with a lower crime rate and lots of employment opportunity?
A while back, some guy posted a snarky statement that went something like: "the problem with NWA is that it's surrounded by the rest of Arkansas."
Oh my, the picks, axes, and torches that came after that by defenders of all things Arkansas.
Problem #1: People went on to defend the natural beauty of Arkansas in spite of the fact he was obviously talking about culure.
In other threads, this same angry mob defends decisions to live in gated communities and pay HOA fees in order to keep out the "riffraff" as they put it.
In another, someone actually encourages an inquiring poster to live in Fayetteville while working in Ft. Smith, neverminding the absurdity of the commute.
More recently the guy who bought a house in Pine Bluff was basically reprimanded for buying a house, then asking questions about the area on this forum afterwards. How dare he. Otherwise, he would have known beforehand that it's considered to be the "9th Ward" of the state.
If there really is nothing wrong with the "rest" of Arkansas, then there should be no need to push them towards NWA.
For some of us, Little Rock is the only appealing (sort of) part to live in.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
A while back, some guy posted a snarky statement that went something like: "the problem with NWA is that it's surrounded by the rest of Arkansas."
Oh my, the picks, axes, and torches that came after that by defenders of all things Arkansas.
Problem #1: People went on to defend the natural beauty of Arkansas in spite of the fact he was obviously talking about culure.
In other threads, this same angry mob defends decisions to live in gated communities and pay HOA fees in order to keep out the "riffraff" as they put it.
In another, someone actually encourages an inquiring poster to live in Fayetteville while working in Ft. Smith, neverminding the absurdity of the commute.
More recently the guy who bought a house in Pine Bluff was basically reprimanded for buying a house, then asking questions about the area on this forum afterwards. How dare he. Otherwise, he would have known beforehand that it's considered to be the "9th Ward" of the state.
If there really is nothing wrong with the "rest" of Arkansas, then there should be no need to push them towards NWA.
For some of us, Little Rock is the only appealing (sort of) part to live in.
Please don't take my comments about Little Rock the wrong way. The poster was already sounding like he didn't really want to live in Little Rock, I was asking why he choose Little Rock without even having a job lined up and had he thought about other parts of Little Rock?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:01 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
More recently the guy who bought a house in Pine Bluff was basically reprimanded for buying a house, then asking questions about the area on this forum afterwards.
If you're referring to the poster I'm thinking of, he was a professional troll not only in the AR forum, but at least a couple others as well. He was plastering (starting numerous threads that could easily have been condensed) and excessively insulting other forum members. Whatever type of "reprimand" he received came about after he was reported and investigated by a senior moderator. He was warned and refused to comply with forum rules. That's how things work in here.

As for Little Rock, I've been vocal about it being a town that could be a lot more than what it is......but that said, I found it surprisingly beautiful with decent infrastructure. I loved the area west of town especially along the portion of Cantrell that heads out past Pinnacle Mtn. and Lake Maumelle. I could easily have seen us living around there.

Like others have said, though, do NOT move without a job secured......unless you have some type of financial security blanket to take down there that'll get you started and give you plenty of time to find work and get set up.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
If you're referring to the poster I'm thinking of, he was a professional troll not only in the AR forum, but at least a couple others as well. He was plastering (starting numerous threads that could easily have been condensed) and excessively insulting other forum members. Whatever type of "reprimand" he received came about after he was reported and investigated by a senior moderator. He was warned and refused to comply with forum rules. That's how things work in here.

As for Little Rock, I've been vocal about it being a town that could be a lot more than what it is......but that said, I found it surprisingly beautiful with decent infrastructure. I loved the area west of town especially along the portion of Cantrell that heads out past Pinnacle Mtn. and Lake Maumelle. I could easily have seen us living around there.

Like others have said, though, do NOT move without a job secured......unless you have some type of financial security blanket to take down there that'll get you started and give you plenty of time to find work and get set up.
That is exactly why I questioned the OP. Yes, he has been back a few time recently using screen names. stwstn

Old 02-02-2018, 01:25 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Januarybaby17 View Post
Hello Everyone ,

I am very torn on the information I have come across while researching Little Rock. A lot of it has been that it have a very bad crime rate. And other information has contradicted that. Ive been on this forum a couple times but I haven't come across anything within the past couple years. So I'm wondering have things gotten worse or better in the past couple years in Little Rock ?

(A little background; I come to the conclusion that I want to from Illinois to the south somewhere and I've settled on AR. But I'm not so sure and keep second guessing my decision based on information I've read. I am a single parent and safety is my number one concern.)
Little Rock is a mixed bag. Unlike other cities, the traffic is quite tolerable, 10 minute traffic delays at worst. The city has a little bit of everything you would most likely want in a city. Large concert venue, a dinner theater, several movie theaters including one IMAX, a comedy club, wide range of local restaurants, some bars, and it's unique offerings with the river market. You have to do some digging to find the stuff, but it's out there.

The flip side is that the crime rate is ridiculous for a city this size and there is really no safe zone left in the city. I would never be caught downtown at night. Little Rock was actually the scene of a mass shooting in 2017. The police department is badly under staffed because they cant find officers who want to work here in Little Rock. Also, the city just feels stagnant and depressed. You go down university and you see building architecture from the 60s and 70s which just looks ugly. They even canceled the once a year music festival. Compared to other cities that have neat things to offer, LR sucks. I would only move here if I got a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area