Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 10:08 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,810,670 times

Advertisements

Actually, Little Rock is noted for its interesting architecture. There are many wonderful old Art Deco buildings downtown, in addition to the Old Capitol (and the new one), what used to be called the Territorial Restoration's early pioneer buildings, the two restored and repurposed train stations, beautiful old churches, plus the new public library - and of course, the Clinton Presidential Library. While downtown Little Rock suffered the departure of its big department stores for suburban malls a number of years ago, it has undergone a renaissance and is a go-to place once again.

There are historic residential neighborhoods nearby, notably the Quapaw Quarter, and the early 20th century Pulaski Heights neighborhood has some beautiful houses of diverse styles that manage to blend together. Nearby areas have great little bungalows and are very trendy once again.

It's true that the Clinton Library is unique and unlike any other structure in Little Rock - but it works well for its purpose, and I'd encourage anyone who visits the city or lives there or nearby to include it on their agenda. Be sure to allow a few hours - it holds a LOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 09:12 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,732,328 times
I remember people not liking Hillary, but when I met her, I thought she was fine. Very intelligent, but not comfortable being in the spotlight. Bill, on the other hand, loved the spotlight.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:16 AM

340 posts, read 510,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
You brought up politics at a "neighborhood party" and it didn't go well? Shocked!

AR is a red state, but some will like the Clintons, some won't.
Pretty sure the Clintons had a large part in turning Arkansas red.

The Clinton Presidential Library and Massage Parlor looks like an oversized trailer house on stilts, hanging out over the river.

How many are aware of the penthouse at the library where Bubba entertains his lady friends?

Last edited by jimnelson1; 05-07-2018 at 11:26 AM..

Old 05-07-2018, 05:21 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,898,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndindy View Post
Not being from Arkansas, I didn't know that a library could be a controversial topic. I do remember when it was built, that not everyone was thrilled about the architecture.
10+ years later, were still not thrilled about it.. Makes the state look like a joke compare to other presidential library across the nation. Heck, it can burn down and nobody would miss it, and be replace with a parking lot.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:50 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,105,397 times
I think what's missing from your post is this: Did you ask the political affiliation of your acquaintance?

I mean, people in New York City loathe Trump, and one reason is that NYC is heavily Democrat.

Interesting that they'd praise Walmart, which is a rather scummy company.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:15 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,964,020 times
Default Is Doe's still in Little Rock? I had quite a

meal there a decade or so ago. Steak and tamales. Lots of beer. Heard Bill frequented the joint back in the day.

Damn good food.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:15 PM

160 posts, read 153,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think what's missing from your post is this: Did you ask the political affiliation of your acquaintance?

I mean, people in New York City loathe Trump, and one reason is that NYC is heavily Democrat.

Interesting that they'd praise Walmart, which is a rather scummy company.
Given the setting and who hosted, it didn’t seem out of line. I meant it as a compliment that Arkansas had something most states don’t. In retrospect, I obviously didn’t know what she wanted to discuss. I think I was more surprised she transitioned to WalMart. She didn’t work for them; but thought the state wouldn’t be anything without it.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:35 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,964,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndindy View Post
Given the setting and who hosted, it didn’t seem out of line. I meant it as a compliment that Arkansas had something most states don’t. In retrospect, I obviously didn’t know what she wanted to discuss. I think I was more surprised she transitioned to WalMart. She didn’t work for them; but thought the state wouldn’t be anything without it.
I'm a Trump supporter who lives in St. Louis, Missouri. While Missouri supported Trump and is a red state, St. Louis City and County went for Hillary. Not me.

Anyway, I'm also a lawyer. So I had a mediation in Florida some months back. The mediator, who didn't know me from adam, shortly after exchanging greetings with me (the other side wasn't there yet) immediately went into an anti-Trump diatribe. Some news or something had recently broken about a book that slammed him, I don't recall. So, to me, being a professional, it was not the context to debate politics. Also, because the mediator, while not actually having actual authority over me, but being in control of the mediation, was not someone I wanted to alienate before it even started. I actually liked the lady and enjoyed talking to her and got along with her quite well. I'm still old fashioned that way.

But I wasn't about to debate politics with her. So I just listened, nodded, smiled. I actually agreed with her a couple of times: he has said or tweeted some outrageous things. For all I know, she assumed I agreed with her.

So we got along. Maybe I'm too midwestern nice and was out of place in hip and wear it on your sleeve Miami but I just wasn't raised to talk politics in mixed company, especially people I don't know and have to deal with professionally.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:12 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,066,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
10+ years later, were still not thrilled about it.. Makes the state look like a joke compare to other presidential library across the nation. Heck, it can burn down and nobody would miss it, and be replace with a parking lot.
I've been to Presidential Libraries all over the country, including LBJ's in Austin, Jimmy Carter's in Atlanta, and even JFK's in Boston. The Clinton Presidential Library is one of the nicest, IMO, and definitely one of my favorites.

The worst, most lackluster Presidential Library I have visited so far has probably been George W. Bush's.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:51 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
I've been to Presidential Libraries all over the country, including LBJ's in Austin, Jimmy Carter's in Atlanta, and even JFK's in Boston. The Clinton Presidential Library is one of the nicest, IMO, and definitely one of my favorites.

The worst, most lackluster Presidential Library I have visited so far has probably been George W. Bush's.
That's very good to know I'm in the process of making a Presidential Libraries bucket list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area