Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 9,703 times

Advertisements

I very seldom post on forums, but I feel compelled to at least inform others. You can accept or reject what is written here, but from conversations with many others my experience is far from unique.

I’m a retired professional who moved to Little Rock a year ago to be near family. I bought a house in an upscale part of west Little Rock in an area I was told was “safe”. In short, it has proven to be the most dysfunctional southern city I’ve ever experienced (and I’ve known many). There haven’t been any major catastrophes, but so many little irritations continue to occur on a regular basis. Almost every entity in town has displayed incompetence - the bank, the public utilities, the postal service, the local merchants and contractors....something is constantly being screwed up, lost, or just plain ignored. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s just the local culture. The bar is indeed low in Little Rock.

Then, of course, there is the crime. Little Rock’s poor statistics for violent crime are widely known and frequently on the news, but it turns out that lower level crime is much more pervasive. I approached some guys in my driveway late one night eyeing some of my property. They gave me some attitude and left, but came back later that same night and keyed my car badly. I asked around, and it turns out that every one of my neighbors has a story of a crime or attempted crime that has occurred on their property. And this one of the safer neighborhoods. I’ve been approached at night in the parking lots of major markets and stores in the “good” part of town by suspect looking individuals panhandling and soliciting. I no longer go anywhere after dark in Little Rock without a CCW, and have become very wary. I’ve come to the conclusion that the only truly safe areas here are inside gated communities, and even then I’d keep my guard up.

In fairness, most of the people I’ve met have been very nice, though typical southern manners are surprisingly lacking. What happened to “Please” and “Thank you”?? And my neighbors are the best I’ve ever had.

Is LR a bad place to live? No, but it is continually frustrating and angst-inducing (though never boring, I must say). No way would I remain here if I didn’t have ties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 11:29 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"No way would I remain here if I didn’t have ties"....ties be damned....life is too short. Go to Maumelle, HSV, go somewhere you can be happy and feel safe. Having lived/worked in LR, I can appreciate your concern.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-25-2019, 12:56 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Only places in Arkansas I would live, if I wasn't from there, are Fayetteville area or possibly Hot Springs.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:02 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
you might also check out conway, cabot or benton/bryant areas. i have not spent any time in benton/bryant, but the other two are a total different place than little rock, as is the two above mentioned. (maumelle, hsv) i totally agree with gemstone1, find a place to be more comfortable with and move there. all of the places we have mentioned are measured in minutes from little rock, not hours.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:05 PM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
I agree that Little Rock is a dysfunctional town. I loathe having to do business in that city. My company is looking to close our office their due to lack of good workers and crime. Pretty country but not a place I would ever want to live.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:09 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Only places in Arkansas I would live, if I wasn't from there, are Fayetteville area or possibly Hot Springs.
i have owned a weekend place in hot springs for over 20 years and personally, never had an issue with a crime of any kind. never really felt unsafe or threatened. it is about 45 mins from little rock.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
can understand the frustration but remember, every major city, the size of Little Rock is going to have problems. I would never live in Little Rock: I will be honest and yes, Conway or Russelville might be better choices. As for Hot Springs, great place to visit but am not sure it is that great of a place to live unless you are inclined to enjoy living in a tourist town. HSV is a different thing. HSV is all that far from Little Rock and has a great reputation.

MississippiAlabamaline: how many places in AR are you really familiar with? All of NWA has wonderful areas, good schools and low crime.Conway is nice. I could go on and on. For some even Ft Smith is nice little town

Old 06-25-2019, 02:54 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
MississippiAlabamaline: how many places in AR are you really familiar with? All of NWA has wonderful areas, good schools and low crime.Conway is nice. I could go on and on. For some even Ft Smith is nice little town
By Fayetteville I meant NWA in general. It is certainly a cool place.

In general I'm talking about areas that I would be attracted towards. I'm sure Russellville is a good place and I've been to Conway, but I don't think they have that really strong pull outside the state of Arkansas.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:57 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Interesting Posts above. This is the third time I have lived in L.R. and this time I plan to stay. 15 years ago we moved into "upscale" west L.R. and have had none of those problems in our area, or in town. Makes me wonder if people find what they look for

Old 06-26-2019, 05:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
By Fayetteville I meant NWA in general. It is certainly a cool place.

In general I'm talking about areas that I would be attracted towards. I'm sure Russellville is a good place and I've been to Conway, but I don't think they have that really strong pull outside the state of Arkansas.
Thanks for clarifying that for all. As for Russelville and Conway: you are probably right, but just trying to think of areas that may be acceptable for some with decent reputations. Both come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area