Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:11 PM

350 posts, read 1,288,626 times

Advertisements

I would suggest Maumelle or West Little Rock. West LR is just a few minutes from Maumelle against the traffic grain. If you're looking high end, Chenal is very nice and the new Chenal Elementary is state of the art. Those areas are both clean and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 PM

Ark Business said Baptist is looking at buying Southwest, probably as a rehab/specialty hospital.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:56 AM

36 posts, read 129,888 times
I agree with the multitude, I would live in Maumelle. It is just north of west LR and a short drive to the best part of the city. Don't venture too far east into Morgan, not that it's unsafe or anything the school district just declines. I know several people who live in Maumelle and love it. Chenal is fantastic(unfortunately too rich for my blood)and Chenal Pkwy is good. While they're both Chenal Pkwy technically, Chenal itself is a neighborhood that lies out from Hwy 10/Cantrell and is a little further out from things(still in LR though) but in the heart of what is considered to be the best part of LR(I'd prefer a downtown apt, but I realize I'm an eccentric individual w/no family to take care of) Chenal Pkwy(typically thought of as past 630 to right around Kanis) is where the vast majority of businesses/restaurants lie. Most of the streets that offshoot it and proceed to neighborhoods are pretty decent places to live as well.
People who say don't live in south LR are probably talking about the Mablevale/Geyer Springs Area. I would also throw in S University and Chicot. Otter Creek is not in all that however it is not far from that. While some areas out there aren't really all that bad, you have to be quite selective. As a generalization and just that, LR is thought of as west:amazing, east:bad, south:bad, and downtown:a fun little mix. There is no north, or rather north is a whole 'nother town, North Little Rock, which also has it's share as places to and not to live.
As far as hospitals, I have no opinion of my own, but people tell me Baptist is fantastic.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 35,059 times
There are many other places in Little Rock and Pulaski County that are quite good, and the school districts are also good. The emphasis on private schooling, while I respect individual choices, is often based on fear that simply isn't justified. All 3 districts in Pulaski County are good.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:09 AM

308 posts, read 1,617,326 times
And sometimes that fear is justified. Yes, there are some decent public schools in LR. However, some is a far cry from all. I prefer to guarantee that my child is getting a decent education rather than worry that he will be placed in one of the craptastic schools that I am oh, so not impressed with even the slightest bit. I am amazed at the number of public school teachers and other non-upperclass (i.e., related to income) persons who place their children in private schools when it isn't necessary due to the alleged awesomeness of the public schools in this area.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:12 PM

If you genuinely have an exception child, the LRSD schools like Forest Park and Central High are probably your best option. If you have a kid that is average or a bit below or above it they won't be in the whole GT/Honors and later AP track that are the reason some LRSD schools have a great rep. There are a lot of LRSD schools that are terrible, which is no different than pretty much any city its size or bigger. IF anything LR is special in that it still has a public school following amongst upper and upper-middle class families.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:08 PM

536 posts, read 823,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
And sometimes that fear is justified. Yes, there are some decent public schools in LR. However, some is a far cry from all. I prefer to guarantee that my child is getting a decent education rather than worry that he will be placed in one of the craptastic schools that I am oh, so not impressed with even the slightest bit. I am amazed at the number of public school teachers and other non-upperclass (i.e., related to income) persons who place their children in private schools when it isn't necessary due to the alleged awesomeness of the public schools in this area.
Little Rock school district is often maligned but every year students graduating from Central High go to Ivy League and Ivy caliber universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area