Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,370 times

Advertisements

I was hoping I could get advice to help me decide if moving to Little Rock is right for me and my teenage son. How many large hospital are in the are? Where are the safest places to live? Does the city have any large black churches? Does the city offer a higher quality of life, cleanliness, educational opportunities, parks, shopping? Are the people happy with life in Little Rock overall? What is like for young black males? Is it easy to find employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 04:22 PM

350 posts, read 1,288,626 times
Three large hospitals - the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Baptist Medical Center, and St Vincent's Infirmary. There are also several specialty hospitals including Arkansas Heart Hospital, Arkansas Children's Hospital, etc. Most of LR is very safe but there are high crime pockets as bad as any large city. A general rule is stay north of I-630. If you have a teenage son Central and Parkview (magnet) are the best high schools in the LRSD. There are a handful of large black churches, mosteither AME or Baptist. I think it offers all of these things and the employment situation is good, with a few thousand new jobs slated to come into the market over the next 3 years as planned facilities open.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 AM

7 posts, read 35,059 times
I might differ with Parkview, but LR is my hometown and a very nice place to live. Despite the horror at Central 50 years ago, it's a good town and Central is a good school; my wife and I picked where we live in large part to ensure our children will go to school there. My wife moved here from near Chicago and had a bit of culture shock when she first got here with total strangers talking to her and with "please" and "thank you" and "yes, ma'am" and all that --- but she's adapted and loves it here even to the point that she's been known to say "fixin' to" without thinking about it. It's just a typical Upper South/Mid-South town and filled with generally nice people. It's got its good and bad points and places, just as any metropolitan area does. Hillcrest and the area nearby in Capitol View-Stifft's Station are where we choose to live and our favorite part of town simply because it's a little more open and with commercial and residential mixing very easily. Much of the city is now moving west, and that's a legacy of white flight, but I think it's now simply because the momentum is there...but don't join the momentum. There are many very good places in LR, and simply try to get a feel for what's good and what's not. If you choose to move here or have moved here, welcome to LR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area