Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:12 PM

350 posts, read 1,288,387 times

Advertisements

If you're including NLR you should include the Old Mill, it is a famous landmark.

Also, the Arkansas Repertory Theatre is far larger and better known than the Weekend Theatre.

Instead of NLR as a separate neighborhood, I would refer to it as "Argenta" which is the name for historic downtown NLR.

I wouldn't list Whole Hog. It's good and all, but not a LR landmark.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:36 PM

7 posts, read 8,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
LR and NLR are very tight, though, in terms of metro area, and the sports facility and Alltel can't really be left out as important spots.

Please pardon me asking...but you're developing a board game with no true comprehension of the area? That seems a little "out there" to me, especially since Whole Hog was the sole fiding on a tourist site. Dunno...maybe I'm confused...again...we've already got Hogopoly, not sure LRopoly would have much of a following.
The "Whole Hog" was not my sole finding on the tourist site - Actually, I found it repeated on a couple different sites. Do you have a recommended restaurant that you would include as a space? Not a tourist restaurant, but one that locals eat at?

The company I am researching for actually made HogOpoly several years ago. Little Rock-Opoly will be one of many cities that will be included in a new series of city-opoly games that will debut in the next few months.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:54 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Browning's, although not still run by the Phelans anymore and not necessarily one of my faves, is sort of a landmark in the Heights. So is Cheers!

Bruno's has been around since the 1950's. Cafe Prego is still in the Heights, and the Villa is sort of an institution too (though I liked it best when it was a hole in the wall on University - now it's out west). Cajun's Wharf...Ashley's at the Capitol...Buffalo Grill and Faded Rose...Peter Brave's Brave New Restaurant...there's a bunch of up and comings, but those are tried and true. Ashley's and Brave are more upscale. Actually, there's a ton of them.

Ristorante Cảpeo is in Argenta in North Little Rock (can you tell I'm an Italian fan???) - haven't eaten there in quite a while...and Franke's Cafeteria is what we all grew up on, but there's now just one, I think. OH...Community Bakery on Main St.! I like Sticky Fingerz and Juanita's as well.

Oh, for your festivals? I'd say the Greek Food Festival...wonderful!

Old 09-28-2008, 10:18 PM

157 posts, read 517,906 times
A few points:

1) I say include the Big Dam Bridge for sure--that is a great new landmark for the city. It's the largest bridge in the United States that was built specifically for pedestrians, and it has incredible views. Check out Big Dam Bridge - Pulaski County Arkansas for info and great pictures.

2) I think it would be better to include the greater Little Rock area instead of simply Little Rock, the city. (Little Rock, the city, is relatively small at around 185,000 anyways.)

I'm not from Little Rock, but when I think of it and its best charm, I think of some landmarks that are a little beyond its city limits. But I think the city limit demarcations can be a bit arbitrary any how. As a non-Little Rockian, here are some of the things that come to mind when I think of Little Rock:

-Pinnacle Mountain
-The Arkansas River Trail (top notch biking/jogging trail along the river with incredible views of the river, bluffs, and mini-mountains)
-Clinton Library
-Heifer International Headquarters (an incredible nonprofit)
-State Capitol
-Hillcrest (neighborhood)
-Heights (neighborhood)
-Quapaw (neighborhood)
-Arkansas Repertory Theatre
-Robinson Hall
-River Rail Street Cars
-Old Mill
-Argenta
-Alltel Arena
-Dickey Stephens

I realize that some of these are in North little Rock, but really, it's part of a larger city to me. The border between the two is a river, but people go to either side all the time. There are many, many cities that encompass both sides of a river, but due to twists of Arkansas history, these two are officially "separate" entities. In reality--how people interact with them--they're basically the same contiguous city.

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2008, 05:28 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
The residents of North Little Rock threw a big fit during the NCAA tournament at Alltel Arena last spring because ESPN referred to the games being played in Little Rock. I think North Little Rock landmarks definitely need to be included, but you CAN NOT call it Little Rock if North Little Rock is included. Not so sure why NLR are so overly picky about being lumped in with LR, but its the way it is.

To me, thats one of the biggest downfalls of our metro. The "two halves" are trying to compete with each other instead of working together.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:12 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclingner View Post
Thank you for your opinions - they are very helpful. I realize now that North Little Rock is a separate city & have removed the places from the list.

What other local restaurant would you recommend besides the Whole Hog Cafe? I found it as a recommended restaurant by locals on a tourist site.
It would be impossible to make a board game about Little Rock without including North Little Rock. The two cities are too close-knit. Half of the most popular features and attractions in the Little Rock Metro are in North Little Rock! As a resident of the Northside, I can not support a game about Little Rock that does not include North Little Rock I mean, are you seriously considering not including Alltel Arena, Dickey-Stephens Park, Big Dam Bridge, Ole Mill, etc. just because they are in the North Little Rock city limits? You seriously need to conduct REAL research on the area and its culture before making a board game about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area