Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 AM

6 posts, read 14,954 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! We're moving to Little Rock in about eight weeks and are looking to buy a house. My boys are 10 and 12 and both special needs kids (one is autistic and the other has ADD). We are looking for somewhere that is fairly safe, not incredibly expensive, up to about a 30 minute drive from the city and has good schools. Any suggestions? We don't mind slightly rural, but don't want to be out in the styx, either. Thanks so much, in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM

837 posts, read 2,248,116 times
There are several smaller towns within commuting distance of Little Rock, including Conway, Benton/Bryant, Cabot, Lonoke, and Sheridan. Of those I would recommend Conway, as it is probably the least conservative and not as dominated by white-flight types. I personally wouldn't recommend any of the others at all, but some people seem to like them.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:50 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
There are several smaller towns within commuting distance of Little Rock, including Conway, Benton/Bryant, Cabot, Lonoke, and Sheridan. Of those I would recommend Conway, as it is probably the least conservative and not as dominated by white-flight types. I personally wouldn't recommend any of the others at all, but some people seem to like them.
I would recommend Maumelle. They are in the process of building a new high school there that is supposed to be state of the art. Its also very convenient to Little Rock and North Little Rock. Conway is very popular but is a hefty commute to Little Rock. During off hours its only about 30 minutes but during rush hour prepare to sit for 45 minutes to an hour on I-40. Also take into account gas prices won't be cheap forever before committing to a commute that long. Benton/Bryant are about like Conway except for the commute is a little easier due to the recent widening of I-30. Stay away from Cabot, Lonoke, and especially Sheridan. They are rural and a few decades behind the rest of central Arkansas.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,395 times
I think Conway has good schools. I agree with the other two posts, stay away from Lonoke and Cabot. Cabot is awful! I would NEVER put my children in any of the schools in Cabot's district again!! Administration has changed recently and Cabot is on a spiral downwards and QUICK!!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:29 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
I'd vote Maumelle and North Little Rock.
North Little Rock also has good safe homes in the Lakewood area. The schools in NLR area are good as well. They are very willing to help parents in many ways. Since one of your children has autism, they would be very accommodating.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:30 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,238 times
I thought Chenal was a lot nicer than Maumelle.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:44 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
I also think Chenal is a lot more expensive...

As far as Conway having good schools, I agree but they are also overcrowded.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:27 PM

11 posts, read 25,474 times
I live in Maumelle and LOVE it!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 29,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feyleona13 View Post
Hi everybody! We're moving to Little Rock in about eight weeks and are looking to buy a house. My boys are 10 and 12 and both special needs kids (one is autistic and the other has ADD). We are looking for somewhere that is fairly safe, not incredibly expensive, up to about a 30 minute drive from the city and has good schools. Any suggestions? We don't mind slightly rural, but don't want to be out in the styx, either. Thanks so much, in advance!!
Maumelle and West Little Rock are both good areas with good public and private schools.

Since it's been 8 weeks...where did you end up Fey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area