Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times

Advertisements

hi everyone. i went to little rock for an interview and checked out the city briefly last september. i actually thought little rock was a pretty cool city coming from la and was pretty much begged to come down there for a job (teaching special ed).

anyway, as much as i like little rock, i dont see myself living there in the long run. i like more of a large jewish community, and like to be within 1.5 hours of other large cities. i also think i would die in your winters (i could handle humidity but hate cold weather-im from la).
in any case since the job market is so horrible, i might actually end up in little rock for a year or 2 since i need income!

i just have some questions for you.
1. aside from the downtown area, are there any bohemian parts of l.r to rent? you know where it looks like old hippies hang out? could be seedy. i like areas with character.
2. best places for a 25 year old female to make friends (please not bars)? i know no one in little rock. it actually was easy for me to talk to people in l.r. since everyone i met was so friendly. i guess i would be looking for people under 35 to just hang out with and stuff. prefer not to do the internet thing.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 12:15 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,257 times
1. Besides downtown, I'd look at Capital View and Hillcrest. Also Argenta in NLR is very nice and walkable.

2. Look in the Arkansas Times and Sync for events and groups doing things you're interested in. There's theatre events, museums, art classes, open mike nights, kickball leagues, all kinds of things! Just depends on what you like.

Arkansas Times Event Calendar
Events for December 11, 2009

Good luck!

(btw, it's not usually this cold!)

Old 12-12-2009, 12:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
I recommend the Argenta area if you're looking for a bohemian atmosphere.
I'm not sure how long you plan on staying but the area will really be taking off once the economy gets better.

I hope you enjoy your short stay.

Jewish Federation of Arkansas, Little Rock, AR : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local may help.

Good luck!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:27 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Argenta, Hillcrest, Heights. Avoid West Little Rock, Bryant/Benton, and Conway. I will say coming from LA you will be in for quite a culture shock. Enjoy Little Rock for what it is with the goal of moving on to bigger and better things later. If you need a more urban getaway, Dallas and Memphis are both within driving distance for a weekend, though definitely longer than 1.5 hours.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:46 AM

thanks guys. while i liked little rock (i was only there for 3 days though lol), i dont know if i could see myself there for years. i have to say though (i am fairly well traveled), the nicest people i have ever met in the world were in little rock! the people there really made impression on me. i did a lot of relocation scouting this year and the only place where there were jobs in my field seemed to be in little rock. i interviewed and all that jazz without even having it planned (it just kind of happened).

my parents and grandmother just said since the economy is so bad, just go anywhere where i get a salary since i could always move once the economy starts booming again.

i cant live anywhere cold (of course my version of cold is different from people in ak lol). i loved louisville, ky for instance, but i was freezing my ass off in october lol. im most likely going to go to austin, tx (cant afford to own property there for for awhile which stinks) for the long run. im going to check out tucson, az as well.

and thanks for the jewish link. there are a few jewish organizations i discovered in lr.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
thanks guys. while i liked little rock (i was only there for 3 days though lol), i dont know if i could see myself there for years. i have to say though (i am fairly well traveled), the nicest people i have ever met in the world were in little rock! the people there really made impression on me. i did a lot of relocation scouting this year and the only place where there were jobs in my field seemed to be in little rock. i interviewed and all that jazz without even having it planned (it just kind of happened).

my parents and grandmother just said since the economy is so bad, just go anywhere where i get a salary since i could always move once the economy starts booming again.

i cant live anywhere cold (of course my version of cold is different from people in ak lol). i loved louisville, ky for instance, but i was freezing my ass off in october lol. im most likely going to go to austin, tx (cant afford to own property there for for awhile which stinks) for the long run. im going to check out tucson, az as well.

and thanks for the jewish link. there are a few jewish organizations i discovered in lr.
I found out last night at my job's Holiday Party that one of the big whigs in my job is Jewish.

Try to make the best of Little Rock. It really isn't that bad. I have lived here my whole life and I used to REALLY hate it. Now I see it isn't that bad. It could truly be worse. A lot of people tend to use it as a springboard for bigger and better things. That's my goal. As much as I'd like to stay in Little Rock and try to make Arkansas a better state....I just can't see myself living here my WHOLE life.

I pretty much agree with BChris02 when it comes to Argenta, HillCrest, and the Heights. Argenta is more affordable than the other two but the big downside is a lack of a community grocery store and a lot of retail. It's in the works but you can hop on the freeway and head to the NLR Wal-Mart or the Kroger on McCain Blvd. In the summer time they have a Certified Arkansas Farmer's Market and there are lots of vendors. Right now there are a few that still come out to sell their food but you'll find a lot more vendors in the summer time.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:31 PM

thanks for your tips. where did you come from that you ended up in little rock? i spoke to a doorman at a hotel in little rock for HOURS (thats what i love about the south- you become friends instantly it seems), and he said that there are jews in little rock and he grew up there knowing jewish families and stuff. if i did move there, i probably would join a temple even though i am not super religious. i would do it as a way to meet people even though i am sure its mainly families and elderly people (i will say this about la, there are a ton of young jewish events all over the city and im actually going to one tonight).

what are things you love about little rock? what about things you dont love? i looked up argenta online. north little rock right? i was there and actually liked it. went to creegan's, the library, and walked around. i dont think it had much going on, but i liked the neighborhood and would definitely check it out.

i stayed at the la quinta and walked from there to the rivermarket. i thought some streets around the rivermarket were really seedy and i ended up calling a cab at night because i didnt want to walk back alone. i thought the the rivermarket area was cool and went to bosco's, the big fish, and another restaurant or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I found out last night at my job's Holiday Party that one of the big whigs in my job is Jewish.

Try to make the best of Little Rock. It really isn't that bad. I have lived here my whole life and I used to REALLY hate it. Now I see it isn't that bad. It could truly be worse. A lot of people tend to use it as a springboard for bigger and better things. That's my goal. As much as I'd like to stay in Little Rock and try to make Arkansas a better state....I just can't see myself living here my WHOLE life.

I pretty much agree with BChris02 when it comes to Argenta, HillCrest, and the Heights. Argenta is more affordable than the other two but the big downside is a lack of a community grocery store and a lot of retail. It's in the works but you can hop on the freeway and head to the NLR Wal-Mart or the Kroger on McCain Blvd. In the summer time they have a Certified Arkansas Farmer's Market and there are lots of vendors. Right now there are a few that still come out to sell their food but you'll find a lot more vendors in the summer time.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
thanks for your tips. where did you come from that you ended up in little rock? i spoke to a doorman at a hotel in little rock for HOURS (thats what i love about the south- you become friends instantly it seems), and he said that there are jews in little rock and he grew up there knowing jewish families and stuff. if i did move there, i probably would join a temple even though i am not super religious. i would do it as a way to meet people even though i am sure its mainly families and elderly people (i will say this about la, there are a ton of young jewish events all over the city and im actually going to one tonight).

what are things you love about little rock? what about things you dont love? i looked up argenta online. north little rock right? i was there and actually liked it. went to creegan's, the library, and walked around. i dont think it had much going on, but i liked the neighborhood and would definitely check it out.

i stayed at the la quinta and walked from there to the rivermarket. i thought some streets around the rivermarket were really seedy and i ended up calling a cab at night because i didnt want to walk back alone. i thought the the rivermarket area was cool and went to bosco's, the big fish, and another restaurant or two.
I've always been in the central Arkansas area. I was born in Little Rock.

Religious events are the best way to meet people in AR outside of school (if you're K-12 or in college). I don't attend religious services so I get to know most people at school.

I agree the Argenta area doesn't really have a lot going on. I'd say the biggest thing are the Art Walks and such but now that it's getting cold, I am sure the numbers will be winding down. I just really like how quiet it is and the architecture.

The big thing I don't like about little rock and central Arkansas in general is how car-centric it is. I know we don't have the density to really invest in transit (and most people don't even think about public transportation) but it would be nice if we had more bike lanes, more signs telling motorists to SHARE the lane with cyclists, etc.

I like the low cost of living that Little Rock has. I love going to lectures at the Clinton School of Public Service. Heifer Village is a nice place to visit when I want to feel inspired. I LOVE Sugar Mama Bakeshop in the River Market. I go there at least once a week. I love the Central Arkansas Library System and the Laman Library system. I'm in the library once or twice a week.

I think the Little Rock Chamber of Commerce (I'm no fan of the Chamber of Commerce but here goes...) has a Young Professionals Club. You might want to check them out. I know the North Little Rock Chamber of Commerce has a Young Professionals group.

As Jenni-B recommended, Sync magazine is really the magazine to read for young people to find out what's going on in the area. Volunteering is another way to meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area