Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,017 times

Advertisements

Hey I am from NYC and I need advice on my job offer at UAMS in Little Rock. How is the area surrounding UAMS? Is it hard for someone who knows not a single soul in the state to find friends? How is the University and it's resources? For people who living in this area, which apartments should I live around UAMS- that are descent priced and I can live with a roomate? How much is a good apartment around with a roomate? How is the recreation around there? Is it really unsafe? Any other help or information around the area would be awesome, thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 12,180 times
I just moved to Little Rock from Houston with my husband. I was disappointed that there is not lots of new shopping mall like Houston, just like NYC. Only one Target, Dillard's, Kohls, JCpenny etc. No Macy's, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Tanger, Prime or Chelsea Premium Outlets. You should pay more money on clothing with your favorite brand. But maybe it is beeter for student who just found a new job. You should pay 3.5% tax or more on Food. But the rent of apartment here maybe is cheaper than in NYC. 1 bedroom is $500-700 in midtown. About salary tax, you should pay federal tax and state tax or city tax. Maybe it is between 20-30%. UAMS is the best university and hospital in Little Rock and AR. It is a good place for people hiking or outdoor recreation.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2LR View Post
I just moved to Little Rock from Houston with my husband. I was disappointed that there is not lots of new shopping mall like Houston, just like NYC. Only one Target, Dillard's, Kohls, JCpenny etc. No Macy's, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Tanger, Prime or Chelsea Premium Outlets. You should pay more money on clothing with your favorite brand. But maybe it is beeter for student who just found a new job. You should pay 3.5% tax or more on Food. But the rent of apartment here maybe is cheaper than in NYC. 1 bedroom is $500-700 in midtown. About salary tax, you should pay federal tax and state tax or city tax. Maybe it is between 20-30%. UAMS is the best university and hospital in Little Rock and AR. It is a good place for people hiking or outdoor recreation.
Shopping in Little Rock is really, really crummy. Very few choices and the standards are so much lower than the rest of the country that what they call "upscale" in Little Rock would be middle of the road in most other cities i.e. Dillard's. There is only one mall and though it is somewhat nice it is TINY! People wanting to do some serious shopping usually take a weekend trip to Dallas or Memphis or just order online. Northpark Mall in Dallas is probably the most popular mall and is also one of the top malls in the country. It is pretty popular for Little Rockers to take a weekend trip there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area