Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,917 times

Advertisements

This will be in September... my gf and I will probably do a few touristy things, but also just want to get out and explore and see what happens.

I don't know anything about these areas or hotels so wonder if anyone has some input:

London Guards Hotel
36-37 Lancaster Gate, Fla, London, W2 3NP United Kingdom

Georgian and Bower House Hotel
35-39 St Georges Drive, London, SW1V 4DG United Kingdom

London House Hotel
81 Kensington Gardens Square, Bayswater, London, W2 4DJ United Kingdom

Astons Apartments
31 Rosary Gardens, London, SW7 4NH United Kingdom

Crown Moran Hotel
142-152 Cricklewood Broadway, London, NW2 3ED United Kingdom

We want to be close to transportation and lively areas with stuff to do. Also if anyone has any suggestions of places to check out or things people may normally not think to do and see that would be cool.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
This will be in September... my gf and I will probably do a few touristy things, but also just want to get out and explore and see what happens.

I don't know anything about these areas or hotels so wonder if anyone has some input:

London Guards Hotel

London House Hotel

Astons Apartments

Crown Moran Hotel

We want to be close to transportation and lively areas with stuff to do. Also if anyone has any suggestions of places to check out or things people may normally not think to do and see that would be cool.

Thanks!
I don't know those hotels at all but Cricklewood is a bit of a dump (though safe enough). I don't know where SW7 is in real life but any of the first three sound like nice, fairly central areas and you'll never be far from transport links.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:56 PM

410 posts, read 949,579 times
SW7 is South Kensington.

Can't comment on these, but have a great trip!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:57 AM

Just trying to stay under 124£ per night... any other suggestions for areas I may want to look? Thanks!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Quote:
Just trying to stay under 124£ per night... any other suggestions for areas I may want to look? Thanks!
The prevailing rate for the month of March is about 79 pounds/night for a 2-3 star B&B. I will be staying in Elephant & Castle for that at the end of the month.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
Have a look around Great Cumberland Street, near Marble Arch tube station. Lots of cheaper hotels around there, and very convenient, central location. You should easily find something for significantly less than GBP124 - won't be grand, but clean and safe. Be aware that most hotel rooms in London are much smaller than those in the US.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
I would like to suggest checking out the Accor hotel group.

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/booking/hotels-list.shtml

They have 4 levels of hotels within their group and personally have stayed in Formula 1, Ibis and Novotel in London (several locations) , France and Spain.

The hotels offer predicatble standards inc' modern bathrooms (ones in IBIS are like a capsule in one corner of the room), decent beds, no nasty carpets and good breakfasts.

At least you know what you're getting.

Maybe checkout Ibis hotels in Greenwich, Docklands (bit further from the "centre" but excellent transport links) and London City
Novotel London Bridge and Greenwich.

Some of the others may be OK , but I'm not familiar with the areas so can't recommend any.

Apart from Greenwich I would try and keep to the North of the river, but that's just my opinion having visited London and also that of my husband who is a Londoner and worked in London City (the financial district) for 10 yrs.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 PM

Yeah I'm fine with smaller places, it's just a place to clean up and sleep. I'm more concerned with a good area that cleans.

I'm considering this place:

London - Review of DoubleTree by Hilton West End, London, United Kingdom - TripAdvisor

Location looks like its good and close to stuff, price is very reasonable.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
Just keep an open mind. I have stayed in so many little hotels in London, usually in a converted house, that at 1st glance look like dumps with mismatched furniture but always clean with clean sheets and towels and usually convenient to the underground that are perfectly ok once you realise that your not at the Holiday Inn.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,705 times
Quote:

London Guards Hotel

London House Hotel

Astons Apartments

Crown Moran Hotel

Thanks!
Wouldn't recommend any hotel in Cricklewood. As for the others, one of the didre things about London is that it is full of pokey dumps with grand sound names.

Check out trip advisor and see what others say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London